York Challenge Cup

Wakefield Ram

Assuming you beat York, who's next?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 29/01/2024 at 19:19, Wakefield Ram said:

Should get a decent crowd and who knows either a morale-boosting win or an extra weekends rest to save ourselves for the league....😊

A month's rest, more like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 29/01/2024 at 19:19, Wakefield Ram said:

Should get a decent crowd....😊

That decent crowd may well be seen live  as the match is to be broadcast by The Sportsman channel on YouTube, kick off 14:00.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

This should be an interesting match for both sides and, whilst York will undoubtedly be favourites, it might be more open that we fear. If we can see a large improvement in our defence and a more coherent attack then we can win. York are said to be putting a couple of their younger players in for the experience of tougher games before the real season begins and are also chastened by a comprehensive defeat by another Championship team last Sunday.

I try to be optimistic but struggle to see anything but another loss:

Rams 18 - 28 Wasps/Minstermen/Knights/Whatever

FTS Davies

Att: 875

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Who knows what will happen. Expect it will be closer than Bradford but we need to get a decent start and score first. Second half v Bradford when we slowed their PTBs down was okay. 

My hopes are if we get a penalty with wind behind us, we kick for touch to gain easy yards. Why we didn't last week is a complete mystery. And we kick any penalties we can if the score is reasonably close. 

Is the south Stand open for this game?

Seeing as it was closed when we played Widnes last year and York aren't likely to bring that many it would seem logical if it weren't.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is the south Stand open for this game?

Seeing as it was closed when we played Widnes last year and York aren't likely to bring that many it would seem logical if it weren't.

Maybe York are likely to not bring many is that there is no concession for OAPs

Is there a reason why concessions are not available?

1 hour ago, Yorkie-Girl said:

Too many of us older supporters and insufficient younger watchers, so a number of clubs now charge one price for admission (except for children).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

18 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Too many of us older supporters and insufficient younger watchers, so a number of clubs now charge one price for admission (except for children).

I accept your point CF, but I think a number of us 'older' supporters from York will think that paying full price, along with the cost of fuel, and the live streaming of the game,will decide to stay at home, and consequently, both clubs will lose revenue. I'll be there regardless, looking forward to it.

• Like 3

HaxbyKnight, I understand the action taken by our club (and others too) does not sit well with those supporters over a certain age, but perhaps you can see the reason why it has been adopted?

I think some of our supporters may well stay at home to watch too, for the same reasons you mention.

We cannot please all our supporters all of the time.

Edited by Crown Flatter
Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Yorkie-Girl said:

Spare a thought for me and anyone else that’s in a similar position. After following the club from been a little lad I was eligible for a concession this season only for the club to do away with it. But like Crown Flatter says I can understand as probably 80%+ of our supporters are concessions,which is sad really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Shame that , especially if the weather is poor 

6 hours ago, coolie said:

Southstand is closed 

As far as I know🤔 

Oh no.....it's only just opened🤨

8 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Who knows what will happen. Expect it will be closer than Bradford but we need to get a decent start and score first. Second half v Bradford when we slowed their PTBs down was okay. 

My hopes are if we get a penalty with wind behind us, we kick for touch to gain easy yards. Why we didn't last week is a complete mystery. And we kick any penalties we can if the score is reasonably close. 

Hi WR I will give you my take on the complete mystery touch kicking scenario. In the previous game v Keighley the designated touch kicker failed to find touch on one occasion. I was present at that game and it led to Keighley proceeding up field and scoring a try. So v Bradford the designated touch kicker bottled it and ultimately handed over the duties to a younger less experienced half back as the game progressed. Basically a more experienced half back lacking gonads hence our current on field playing state.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NickD said:

Oh no.....it's only just opened🤨

It wasn't open for the Widnes Challenge Cup tie last season

And again is been shown on Sportsman 

Giving your product away for free does have a financial impact 

Specially when you have no choice in the matter🤔