Re earlier posts about the number of games on the BBC and regretting the demise of the SuperLeague Show: in my opinion it's not just about the number of games, it's about the televised minutes. Pre- match build- up, post- match discussion. Both of these add significantly to the coverage, giving us far more coverage than we ever had in the SLS days.

I think that is more relevant to those with a general interest in our game and an opportunity to convert observers and followers into fans.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 03:30, Worzel said:

Terrestrial linear remains important for new customer sampling and new audience creation, and gains more second-level traction in other media so does still have a ripple effect on top of its direct impact. 

Wow !

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

THat seems ok considering it was on Sky too. 

Will be interesting to see if they do any kind of release on overall figures for the weekend. It would be great if we could hit 1m+ viewers for weekends like this when we have a BBC game.

It would also be interesting to see where we are with social media numbers. I think quite a few clips on their own got more views than BBC2 got for Cas-Wigan. I still think we are just scratching the surface - every try should now be out there and fast. Match highlights need to be same day. But it has still been a positive step change this weekend.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

It would also be interesting to see where we are with social media numbers. I think quite a few clips on their own got more views than BBC2 got for Cas-Wigan. I still think we are just scratching the surface - every try should now be out there and fast. Match highlights need to be same day. But it has still been a positive step change this weekend.

BBC match highlights will always be next day as that's what was in the press announcement. Sky highlights (on YouTube) were, I think, same day.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

BBC match highlights will always be next day as that's what was in the press announcement. Sky highlights (on YouTube) were, I think, same day.

Yes - I don't think we can hurry the BBC along but I am bombarded (in a good way) by NRL and NRLW showing me tries about 5 minutes after they happen and match highlights 30 minutes after games end. TBH, this is how I got into the NRLW - being fed quality try after quality try and thinking 'Wow. I had no idea this was the standard.' We're still some way off that - but much closer than we were.

• Like 1

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

The first two I won't be able to see here in Ireland. Safe to say I personally liked the C4 set-up better.

I thought BBC was viewable in Ireland - or did that end with the digital handover?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought BBC was viewable in Ireland - or did that end with the digital handover?

1, 2, 3 and 4 are, but the iPlayer is geo-blocked.

At least Sky will have the games. I had forgotten that, when I posted my initial reaction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hopie said:

iPlayer and BBC Three, oh dear, and I was hoping for BBC2 to be replaced by BBC1 for some of the games.

Very hard to see the benefits here.

No set time, no set channel, BBC3!

Only winner seems to be Cas who sneak on to BBC2 again.

On balance, C4 was better than this. 

9 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Unfortunately BBC3 is as useless as QVC.

Higher reach than Sky Sports Main Event.

• Like 4

I'm not even slightly surprised to see RL "fans" viewing this as negative instead of an opportunity. Watch the games on all channels, show the BBC there are reasons to move games to there main channels over the next few years of this contract. Instead we have the usual types saying no way they're watching it on these channels, so just letting it die away. Amazing stuff.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm not even slightly surprised to see RL "fans" viewing this as negative instead of an opportunity. Watch the games on all channels, show the BBC there are reasons to move games to there main channels over the next few years of this contract. Instead we have the usual types saying no way they're watching it on these channels, so just letting it die away. Amazing stuff.

Oh god I'm not being negative, I'd watch RL if it was on the Disney Channel. I'm just saying BBC3 isn't ideal in terms of reaching a new market.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Damien said:

I do find the BBC strategy to miss some weekends, mix the channels up and show different match days and different KO times as a little strange.

Still, sounds like there has been a great start to the new partnership. Per @dkw, this is opportunity for RL public to force the BBC’s hand and show more consistency and more content. Turn that telly on and get watching.

How has the commentary on the BBC been getting on?

Edited by Sports Prophet

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Marginal.

January viewing figures:

BBC3: 10,569,000

SSME: 9,915,000

When you consider each channels output and the fact that 1 is free and 1 isn't...

Compare this to:

BBC2: 37,563,000

And even BBC4: 15,822,000

Other Channels that get more viewers than BBC3:

ITV1,2,3 and 4

Channel 4, 4seven, E4, More4, Film 4

Sky Showcase

Channel 5, 5STAR

And Dave.

Edited by sam4731

29 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I do find the BBC strategy to miss some weekends, mix the channels up and show different match days and different KO times as a little strange.

Still, sounds like there has been a great start to the new partnership. Per @dkw, this is opportunity for RL public to force the BBC’s hand and show more consistency and more content. Turn that telly on and get watching.

How has the commentary on the BBC been getting on?

They only have 15 games so it was always going to be sporadic, but anyone who watches sport in the BBC knows that the coverage is always sporadic, so I don't think that is a massive issue in that context. 

It will be interesting to see the numbers that come out of this, but we are told that younger audiences use iplayer and BBC Three is absolutely a channel aimed at youth. So maybe they are testing into these populations. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They only have 15 games so it was always going to be sporadic, but anyone who watches sport in the BBC knows that the coverage is always sporadic, so I don't think that is a massive issue in that context. 

It will be interesting to see the numbers that come out of this, but we are told that younger audiences use iplayer and BBC Three is absolutely a channel aimed at youth. So maybe they are testing into these populations. 

They also have the Challenge Cup coverage. So although that is also sporadic, it fills some of the gaps between SL matches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

BBC Three is quite often used as their sport channel. AFCON football was on there for most of the games.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Indeed, but not to sound like AtlantisMan, the value in being on SSME must be higher than mant FTA channels. Its not the raw numbers, but the "quality of consumer". IE, SSME viewers have more money.

Quantity does have a limit in its value I guess

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

BBC Three is quite often used as their sport channel. AFCON football was on there for most of the games.

There were games on there from the last Women’s RL World Cup if I remember correctly 

• Like 1