Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Smithies was solid in the first quarter for the Raiders today, good in defence and effort plays (as always) and threw a few nice link passes.

The commentary team were saying how pleased the Canberra coaches were with Smithies.  Will be keen to see if he gets the 13 jumper for Round 1.

Made 21 tackles in only 27 minutes or so of play, pretty sensational stuff. 0 missed tackles as well.

Canberra would be silly not to start him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Will Pryce reportedly in for a starting sport at Newcastle.

Been training at centre with Gagai shifting to the wing.

I think it would probably be a better combo the other way around, but an interesting potential position for him.

Andrew Johns picked Will Pryce as his NRL player to watch in 2024 on this week’s Freddy & the Eighth on Channel 9.

Says his team-mates rave about him and is convinced he’ll eventually be Newcastle’s stand-off (or 5/8 in the local dialect).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Andrew Johns picked Will Pryce as his NRL player to watch in 2024 on this week’s Freddy & the Eighth on Channel 9.

Says his team-mates rave about him and is convinced he’ll eventually be Newcastle’s stand-off (or 5/8 in the local dialect).

As he should, he is one of the best youngsters in the world.

1 hour ago, wakeyranger said:

Is KPP still injured?

No, he played in the second round of pre-season games.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, AB90 said:

They need to get Pryce in the team somehow. He’s way to talented to be playing NSW cup.

Yeah it looks like he will be in the 13, most likely at centre but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is Newcastle’s starting 6 by the end of the year. 

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

He's very quick, but like a turnstile in D.

He’d be a waste on the wing in my opinion. Yes he is quick but he is a lot more than just quick, his playmaking ability is incredible. Really similar player to KP, he is extremely lucky to be playing with and learning from him.

2 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

He’d be a waste on the wing in my opinion. Yes he is quick but he is a lot more than just quick, his playmaking ability is incredible. Really similar player to KP, he is extremely lucky to be playing with and learning from him.

He doesn't have the passing game of Ponga IMO, but there are certainly points of similarity. I think his stepping and speed in taking on the line are currently the strongest points to his game. Defence is his big weakness. He'll have to work on that.

1st player not to make an impression and be back home on compassionate  leave with homesickness in 24? KKP  for mine

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, burnleywelsh said:

Reasons ???

style doesnt fit NRL  and not good enough- but thats just my humble opinion - hope he goes great guns though

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

1st player not to make an impression and be back home on compassionate  leave with homesickness in 24? KKP  for mine

Can’t agree with this one bit personally, I think he is going to be a star back rower in the NRL. 6’6 with a phenomenal offloading game, he is a terrific player and really could be anything.

probably already the starting back rower for England now with Whitehead retiring.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Can’t agree with this one bit personally, I think he is going to be a star back rower in the NRL. 6’6 with a phenomenal offloading game, he is a terrific player and really could be anything.

probably already the starting back rower for England now with Whitehead retiring.

hope you are right

10 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Yeah it looks like he will be in the 13, most likely at centre but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is Newcastle’s starting 6 by the end of the year. 

Yeah agreed. Out of loyalty I think they’ll start with Gamble.

Prediction - by the end of the year one either Hastings or Gamble (of even both) will be moved on for 2025.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AB90 said:

Yeah agreed. Out of loyalty I think they’ll start with Gamble.

Prediction - by the end of the year one either Hastings or Gamble (of even both) will be moved on for 2025.

Hastings doesn't need to be worried for me - or at least not from Pryce. They've got 4 quality half-backs in Hastings, Gamble, Pryce and Cogger. It's Pryce v Gamble and Hastings v Cogger for 6 and 7 respectively IMO. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

style doesnt fit NRL  and not good enough- but thats just my humble opinion - hope he goes great guns though

He was good enough to play for the best club side in the world. He is not going to struggle playing in the NRL, unless he has difficulty playing with less talented players I suppose.

• Like 3

On 29/02/2024 at 17:04, graveyard johnny said:

I'm not sure he's at that level either tbh.  Hope I'm wrong though.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

6 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

dont think pryce has made the squad for next weeks opener

Not announced until Tuesday 4pm AEDT.

Unless you’ve seen something that suggests he won’t play?

• Like 1