Vegas Again/2025 and WCC

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You always like to pick up on small detail, but seem happy with the far less accurate system that was employed in Vegas. That simply can't be anything more than bias.

Literally one of the metre markers were correct in the Vegas game. And it does affect the game, the 10m line for a kick restart becomes a 9.5m restar, a 20m restart becomes a 19m restart. I'm not a fan of just dismissing rules just for aesthetics, but I do understand why cheerleaders would approve. It's odd that someone who is suck a stickler would think 19m restarts are a great solution. 

They are so insecure… but, but, but SL = peasants!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worzel said:

To be honest it seems the best way to do it. Basically dividing the pitch into 10 equal sections.

It does my head in that we don’t mark the Super League pitches with proper markings, with numbers etc. Even at grounds like Hull KRs where we don’t share with football teams. Just seems lazy. 

There is absolute clear logic to the RFL's system. 

The lines are not there for aesthetic reasons, they are there due to rules. 

10m line - marks the kick restart from a dropout. 

20m line - for 20m restarts. 

30m line - marks 10m from the 20m line for dropouts. 

40m line - marks 10m from the halfway. 

Literally the only 10m space that isn't important is the 30m to 40m line, as there is no marker required between these lines. None at all. That's why the RFL have used the system of reducing that. Not just for style over substance. 

It's fine to prefer another system, but it should be clear that you are preferring a system that undermines most pitch basics. 

In reality, most haven't got a clue why they are saying the NRL system is best. It's simply a chance to bag the RFL. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Literally the only 10m space that isn't important is the 30m to 40m line, as there is no marker required between these lines. None at all. That's why the RFL have used the system of reducing that. Not just for style over substance. 

It's fine to prefer another system, but it should be clear that you are preferring a system that undermines most pitch basics. 

In reality, most haven't got a clue why they are saying the NRL system is best. It's simply a chance to bag the RFL. 

It’s almost as if this a question that has existed for as long as the game itself and yet people think the RFL made it up on the hop just to annoy folk.

And the clamour for numbered lines is one I will never understand. If you’re a seasoned fan, chances are you’ll have delivered the sense where you can just tell automatically whereabouts on the field you are. If you’re at the ground, or even more so watching on TV, then surely you’d prefer the line being marked differently in your eye line (broken lines, red line etc) rather than having to look across to the touchline. And yet that’s a stick that certain posters have been using recently towards clubs and the RFL.

How about the NRL try and look outside of their own bubble and think “hang on, they might have an idea here” rather than the current vogue of SL = bad, NRL = good. Let’s be honest, the Aussies only do it differently to us just to be awkward. Time to question why we still let them be a country, really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

"Because it’s brutal and fast and it feels like there are as many stoppages in play as Jets quarterbacks throw touchdown passes in their games. Which is to say: there aren’t many." :kolobok_biggrin:

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When Foxtel interviewed V’landys and Abdo after the match they said they flew Australian rugby post manufacturers to the US to build, in a US factory, decent posts for the match.

When allegiant stadium was built they incorporated footings to hold rugby posts within the movable playing surface. They had to dig around in the pitch to find them as they’d never been used before.

The posts will now be stored in the US until the season opener next year.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think where we’re dealing with 5 metres from 100 in a one-off event (rather than a club’s home ground) the way they dealt with it in Vegas is a good, pragmatic solution in a new market where we don’t want to over-complicate the environment for the audience.

Any impact on the gameplay components you describe is tiny, less than a metre in each case. 

I’m not using it to criticise the RFL. But I do think it’s rubbish that in England we don’t mark the numbers on the pitch, or indeed have a consistent pitch marking set-up between clubs (even accounting for the removed 30 metre line in some cases). At Hull KR we have full size pitch, and total control of our ground, and even we don’t do it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Worzel said:

I think where we’re dealing with 5 metres from 100 in a one-off event (rather than a club’s home ground) the way they dealt with it in Vegas is a good, pragmatic solution in a new market where we don’t want to over-complicate the environment for the audience.

Any impact on the gameplay components you describe is tiny, less than a metre in each case. 

I’m not using it to criticise the RFL. But I do think it’s rubbish that in England we don’t mark the numbers on the pitch, or indeed have a consistent pitch marking set-up between clubs (even accounting for the removed 30 metre line in some cases). At Hull KR we have full size pitch, and total control of our ground, and even we don’t do it. 

None of it confuses anyone. Numbers marking lines are not a thing in most sports in the world. 

But, the NRL do it, the RFL don't, so it's important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Good to see News Corp chair Lachlan Murdoch in the crowd going back to his roots.

Absolutely. He's the heir apparent and has the Fox and News Corp power at his fingertips. Also, a long-time believer in RL (or should that be Australian RL?).

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

None of it confuses anyone. Numbers marking lines are not a thing in most sports in the world. 

But, the NRL do it, the RFL don't, so it's important. 

What a weird take. You’re basically saying I’m incapable of independent thought, only like something because the NRL do it, or only dislike something because the RFL do. A bit dismissive that mate.

I like the numbers because I think they add to the visual spectacle, and help communicate the field position better to a watching TV audience. I think that because I think that, it’s really that simple. Agree, or don’t, but at least give me the credit for honestly holding an opinion. 

• Like 3

Some of the reactions in there are pretty funny.

What the Americans said about NRL's Vegas invasion (msn.com)

The reaction to the games was that of confusion and amazement from the American audience, with one New York-based writer running a live blog for The Guardian.

"One of the Bunnies chokes a Manly player, but this seems to be fine. Nobody seemed to get too upset about it," David Lengel wrote at one stage.

After both Tevita Tatola and Lachlan Croker were shown on the broadcast sporting nasty cuts to their face and head, Lengel described it as "human cockfighting".

"ANOTHER player is bleeding! Is this normal?" he asked. 

At the conclusion of the first game, Lengel - who predominantly covers sports such as NFL and MLB - praised the physical and exciting nature of rugby league

"If this game came to New York, and they didn't price gouge me out of the place, I'd go and watch, no question.

I`d think there would be a market for our game in that country, the question is, how do we get people to know about it.

• Like 1

Australian TV ratings are in:

Manly v Souths : 838,000 on pay tv/kayo (highest ever fox league ratings for RL).

Roosters v Broncos : CH9 784,000, pay tv/ kayo: 786,000.

Huge figures for a regular season game.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

One thing i would add the gap between SL and NRL is  bigger then ever yes there will be the odd WCC one off however what we saw was night and day.

The majority of the SL clubs would be thrashed out of sight by all 4 teams last night.

What are you on about 😂

I’m sure that’s exactly why the SL have won more WCC’s than the NRL.

that has to be one of the silliest comments of ever seen on this forum.

Edited by NRLandSL

41 minutes ago, Copa said:

Manly v Souths : 838,000 on pay tv/kayo (highest ever fox league ratings for RL).

For all the bluster about breaking America - and it is bluster - this, to me, shows the real positive. Boosting an already insanely popular and visible sport in Australia even further.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

What are you on about 😂

I’m sure that’s exactly why the SL have won more WCC’s than the NRL.

We all know where we stand. The best SL teams would be competitive, below the top two or three it would be embarrassing.

Pretending that our best side winning the WCC changes that is daft.

Not complaining about the publicity Our game is getting, but I'm getting a feeling that NRL is being talked about like NFL .Are we soon going to be owned by the Australian competition and a franchise of the NRL ? Will the new American fans enthusing about our sport be saying NRL is also played in more countries than NFL. Australia has been successful in taking their game to many other countries.  

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

We all know where we stand. The best SL teams would be competitive, below the top two or three it would be embarrassing.

Pretending that our best side winning the WCC changes that is daft.

The super league is quality first grade competition with a lot of talent, it does not have the depth of the NRL but it still has a lot of quality.

Because there was two NRL games in Las Vegas is not a reason to belittle SL and to say every SL side would get walloped against every NRL team which we all know isn’t remotely the truth.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Sounds like a successful metric to me. I hope those thinking this event is a “waste of resources” read that.

14 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Will the new American fans enthusing about our sport be saying NRL is also played in more countries than NFL.

The new NRL fans don't currently have a TV station to watch the sport on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

The super league is quality first grade competition with a lot of talent, it does not have the depth of the NRL but it still has a lot of quality.

Because there was two NRL games in Las Vegas is not a reason to belittle SL and to say every SL side would get walloped against every NRL team which we all know isn’t remotely the truth.

Nobody, including the person you quoted, said every SL side would get walloped by every NRL side. That is your straw man.

4 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Nobody, including the person you quoted, said every SL side would get walloped by every NRL side. That is your straw man.

He said the majority of SL sides would be thrashed out of sight. If the majority of sides are getting “thrashed out of sight” which must mean at least 50-60 points, By that logic no team in the SL should be able to compete.

Edited by NRLandSL

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

For all the bluster about breaking America - and it is bluster - this, to me, shows the real positive. Boosting an already insanely popular and visible sport in Australia even further.

It probably ends up cheaper than getting Tina Turner back in the day!

One of the best things about V’landys is he makes rugby league fans genuinely feel like he’s helping the game reach its potential. He also totally ignores mindless criticism from other sports, class based attacks, snobbery etc. It feels like he ooozes “we’re rugby league, we’re amazing and we’ll proudly do what we do”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1