Match thread: Challenge Cup 5th Round. Featherstone Rovers v Wakefield Trinity. Sunday 10th March 2024.

Here's another quote I've stolen from Wakefield's social media..."who do we want in the sixth round?"

For me...obviously Cas at home would be top of the list. But any SL team at home would be good, or a big SL team away.

The ones we want to avoid...Catalans away would be the nightmare draw by a long way. London away would be not good either, though less expensive and at least a chance of winning. Probably wouldn't want Sheffield away either as that wouldn't be much of a gate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, haskey said:

Just bought League Express - no mention of the attendance does anyone know I am quite interested, as it looked a very good crowd. Why do all clubs insist on not listing their attendance, not good public relations???

Over the time I was doing match reports for League Express the announcement of the attendance has dropped off in recent years, but I had a good working relationship with the media guys, Joe Crabtree being my grandson, and I would chase them up after the game. Up until I had to take a step back due to family illness Jac Davies would txt me with the attendance, and if this was after I had submitted my report I would phone it through in retrospect.

I am largely unable to do Sunday games for the time being but hope to be available on Good Friday if they still want me!

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Here's another quote I've stolen from Wakefield's social media..."who do we want in the sixth round?"

For me...obviously Cas at home would be top of the list. But any SL team at home would be good, or a big SL team away.

The ones we want to avoid...Catalans away would be the nightmare draw by a long way. London away would be not good either, though less expensive and at least a chance of winning. Probably wouldn't want Sheffield away either as that wouldn't be much of a gate.

Leaving out the 'big SL team away' and that's much like the conversation I was having leaving the ground yesterday 😉

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My favouite comment so far from the Wakefield RLFans forum...
"Luck and a pigsty of a pitch won the game for rovers.
Their ground is barely championship standard."

🤣

Ha yeah I saw that.  They haven't seen the other ones yet lol.  Anyway the Agbrigg Arena was barely league 1 standard until last year.

What also makes me laugh is that so many of them are moaning about our pitch being rubbish as if its always like that - with nobody seeming to realise that it was the conditions being the issue.  Do they think its like that in July?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Ha yeah I saw that.  They haven't seen the other ones yet lol.  Anyway the Agbrigg Arena was barely league 1 standard until last year.

What also makes me laugh is that so many of them are moaning about our pitch being rubbish as if its always like that - with nobody seeming to realise that it was the conditions being the issue.  Do they think its like that in July?

On the General forum someone was spouting off about the pitch being "the usual mudbath" so I pointed out the only time in the last year or two where pitch conditions in the WF postcode had caused injuries...

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity-pitch-pictures-impact-26390411

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tom-johnstone-wakefield-pitch-injuries-26281719

• Haha 2

HI Steve, sorry to hear of your family illness

With regard to attendances, I have sent a few mailbags to LE  regarding this attendance issue, and why do the RFL not do anything about it. Is there ulterior motives in not releasing these figures, (to do with tax, VAT etc)??

Compilers of statistics must be tearing their hair out.

Ian

5 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

25 tears of super league money and all they have is a stand and a pitch...

They should have been forced to do something years ago.

You've forgotten about the big screen.

4 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Is it still a shared gate in the challenge cup or is that not the case anymore? 

Spilt 3 ways i think,both teams and RL, i'am sure someone will know for definite.

17 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Spilt 3 ways i think,both teams and RL, i'am sure someone will know for definite.

Yes RL take their cut and Leigh the overheads for staging the game.The rest is divided equally between Leigh and Fev.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

"I'm not putting up with losing at Fev, SIGN SOMEBODY."

"Let's not panic, there's nobody any good available at the moment. I mean there's a winger who Leeds have been trying to move on for ages, but surely..."

"I SAID SIGN SOMEBODY!!!!!"

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/derrell-olpherts-leaves-leeds-rhinos-28802069

History repeating itself TPH. Leigh went for a bit more quality when they lost in similar circumstances.

On 10/03/2024 at 17:11, Fevrover said:

Thank you that's great coming from you lol.

I tell you

The best thing for Featherstone this season is to lose the expectancy of success. 

Which as we know by September usually has turned to sh.... Poo

Love an underdog 😘

3 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

History repeating itself TPH. Leigh went for a bit more quality when they lost in similar circumstances.

Indeed. When we beat them early in the season they had Kieran Dixon and Tom Nisbet on the wing. By the time we played them again, it was Blake Ferguson and Krisnan Inu! They'd also added Ipape and O'Donnell by then.

18 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The defeat has not put supporters off.A sell out Friday night Wakey v Bradford just short of 8000.

Think it was a sellout before they lost to Fev. But I have seen about 3000 tickets floating in the river Calder since the Fev match😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1