Catalans Travel

Apologies if this has already been covered. On the League Express podcast Rhodrl Jones mentioned that next season Catalans will be made to cover all the other teams travel expenses . The other clubs seem to have managed the cost in the past, why change the goalposts now. So much for encouraging the spread of the game, anybody outside of the UK that tries seem to have obstacles placed in their way at every turn.

Just as the game in France seems to be on an upward curve the leading team are hit with a massive financial penalty. Good luck with trying to convince Mr Gausch this is in the best interests of the game. Maybe he'll just tell them to stick it. Which would be great for the M62 clubs but disastrous for the international game. Just as things were looking up

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, bar red said:

Apologies if this has already been covered. On the League Express podcast Rhodrl Jones mentioned that next season Catalans will be made to cover all the other teams travel expenses . The other clubs seem to have managed the cost in the past, why change the goalposts now. So much for encouraging the spread of the game, anybody outside of the UK that tries seem to have obstacles placed in their way at every turn.

Just as the game in France seems to be on an upward curve the leading team are hit with a massive financial penalty. Good luck with trying to convince Mr Gausch this is in the best interests of the game. Maybe he'll just tell them to stick it. Which would be great for the M62 clubs but disastrous for the international game. Just as things were looking up

Maybe they're getting the benefit of all their matches broadcast on TV to offset this?

I'd have thought Mr Guasch would have kicked up more of a fuss if they were being unfairly penalised.

It does beg the question though - do UK based teams cover Catalans travel expenses when they visit the UK, because surely that would only be fair if recompensed the other way?

• Like 3

If that’s true it’s a disgrace.

These are businesses in a professional sports league. If the clubs can’t afford to play one match overseas each year then frankly they shouldn’t be in the competition at all. Mickey Mouse behaviour. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Catalans get all sorts of benefits. They get - or at least until recently - a €900,000 grant every year from the local council, which is also paying €15m for the ground upgrades at Brutus.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Coggo said:

Catalans get all sorts of benefits. They get - or at least until recently - a €900,000 grant every year from the local council, which is also paying €15m for the ground upgrades at Brutus.

So because they have a local authority that supports them financially they have to subsidise the other 11 clubs?🙄

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Coggo said:

That's completely irrelevant.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, roughyed8 said:

So because they have a local authority that supports them financially they have to subsidise the other 11 clubs?🙄

And lets completely ignore all of the other clubs that have been assisted by their local authority and had grounds built and grants given.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coggo said:

So what? 

• Like 3

Just now, Coggo said:

Oh. Do all the other Super League clubs get big grants from their local council too, then?

No but if Catalans get some income good luck to them. Do clubs have to share out their sponsorship or ticket sales income if they get more of that than other clubs? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Oh. Do all the other Super League clubs get big grants from their local council too, then?

It's an income stream like any other. And yes some clubs do get grounds and big grants from their local council too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's an income stream like any other. And yes some clubs do get grounds and big grants from their local council too.

Which other Super League club gets an annual state subsidy of £750,000+?

Just now, Coggo said:

Which other Super League club gets an annual state subsidy of £750,000+?

That wasn't your point. 3 posts in and you have now moved the goalposts and are now ignoring the fact that other clubs have got stadiums and ignoring that other clubs have and do get grants. The amount is completely irrelevant, its like saying Wigan should pay for travel because they get big crowds or Leeds should because they have income streams from a hotel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That wasn't your point. 3 posts in and you have now moved the goalposts and are now ignoring the fact that other clubs have got stadiums and ignoring that other clubs have and do get grants. The amount is completely irrelevant, its like saying Wigan should pay for travel because they get big crowds or Leeds should because they have income streams from a hotel.

Mais non.

There is a world of difference between self-generated revenue and an annual subsidy doled out by la mairie.

I don't really have an issue with participation fees etc. which you could badge this as,  but I do have an issue with moving the goalposts. 

Things like participation agreements should be agreed and understood. 

• Like 1

For some years, clubs used to use the golf club hotel (mas d’houston) at st.cyprien plage.  Arrived a day early, left the day after the match or some players ventured down to Barcelona to make their own way back.  I watched this for years, so no one can tell me English clubs couldn’t afford it.

Then we had the odd team flying in and out on the same day, which triggered more clubs doing it.  This then triggered the ‘we can’t afford it’ bleats.  Catalans have been flying across for years, sometimes staying for a second game.  I don’t recall them asking for a handout.

• Like 5

God forbid a French team should be as or more successful than a British team on and off the field, lets make em pay, that'll show em!!!  is there any wonder the game can't progress .

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

For some years, clubs used to use the golf club hotel (mas d’houston) at st.cyprien plage.  Arrived a day early, left the day after the match or some players ventured down to Barcelona to make their own way back.  I watched this for years, so no one can tell me English clubs couldn’t afford it.

Then we had the odd team flying in and out on the same day, which triggered more clubs doing it.  This then triggered the ‘we can’t afford it’ bleats.  Catalans have been flying across for years, sometimes staying for a second game.  I don’t recall them asking for a handout.

I know Leeds and some others did the same day travel because it was better for players (football do the same for the same reasons). Other clubs might plead poverty but I suspect they would have done regardless.

It makes no sense to me to have this change now?