Salford Bailout

52 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

There is this-

🔴🟠🔵The £12m each from Wakefield MBC to their three professional RL clubs for stadium improvement.

🤷

Good God man!  How crazy is that suggestion?  🤣  

• Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Absolutely nothing wrong for local authorities to loan money out to boost a business and also reap the interest off such investments.

For further reading, it all can be seen here. www.local.gov.uk/parliament/briefings-and-responses/local-authorities-borrowing-and-investment-bill-house-commons-23

I know some live in a "post truth society" and I guess we all can smell the advocates of the rancid fading neocon/populist project that detests any public subsidy (unless of course its in their neighbourhood/golf club or private school.)

Aside from what Salford City council are doing for running partnership with Hull college.
🟡🔴Whilst I can't as yet see any evidence local government support came for Warrington or St Helens, I am sure that the new roads around them weren't funded or are maintained by their owners.

It’s testing my memory a little but I’m sure we (Warrington) got a loan from the local council of £1m to keep the club afloat as they moved from Wilderspool to the financial security of the new stadium. Somewhere around the turn of the century I think.

There’s also talk (not sure how true it is) of the council investing in new training facilities at Victoria Park for the club as the current base at the University is being sold off for housing. This is after failing in a ‘Levelling Up’ fund’s request from central government.

Edited by Alffi 7

3 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Absolutely nothing wrong for local authorities to loan money out to boost a business and also reap the interest off such investments.

For further reading, it all can be seen here. www.local.gov.uk/parliament/briefings-and-responses/local-authorities-borrowing-and-investment-bill-house-commons-23

I know some live in a "post truth society" and I guess we all can smell the advocates of the rancid fading neocon/populist project that detests any public subsidy (unless of course its in their neighbourhood/golf club or private school.)

Aside from what Salford City council are doing for their local club, its a precedence, it's legal and its successful for all.

There is this-

🔴🟠🔵The £12m each from Wakefield MBC to their three professional RL clubs for stadium improvement.

🟡The wholly Council  funded, owned and run York community stadium is home to the Knights.

🟣Huddersfield Giants' play at the John Smith stadium was partly financed, built and run by Kirklees council.

🔴⚪Likewise Wigan MBC fully or partly paid and still run the Robins Park and LSV, where  Wigan and Leigh play respectively.

🟡Leeds were able to upgrade Headingley through a commercial loan, guaranteed by their City council.

🛑KR's Craven Park was rebuilt in partnership with the City council via the Kingston community development and now have an running partnership with Hull college.

⚫FC were helped by the council in developing and supporting them at the MKM stadium.

🟠Bradford wanted "Levelling Up" funds to renovate Odsal.

🔵⚪🛑And finally it is  given that local authorities support their sports clubs in Toulouse and Catalan.

🟡🔴Whilst I can't as yet see any evidence local government support came for Warrington or St Helens, I am sure that the new roads around them weren't funded or are maintained by their owners.

But hey ignore the the facts, kids, mince yer misery, ignite yer ignorance. if you want.And let the rest of us support and enjoy the Game.🙆🤷

Wrong about York. The stadium was built on the same footprint of the old ground which partly belonged to the knights. Also the football club invested some of the money from the sale of bootham crescent 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I don't think anyone has an issue with councils investing in communities, infrastructure and facilities. There is clearly a long term benefit of that. No issue with Salford Council securing the AJ Bell for example. Council funds going into the daily operations of a club is another matter though. 

• Like 6

Only around half of a local authorities income comes from council tax. The rest comes from charges from services and from government grants. That means, in my view, it can be argued that we all contribute in some way to the  money councils spend on, for example, professional sports, whether in Wakefield, Widnes, Workington, Warrington or Wigan.

23 hours ago, Enkidudu said:

The point being one coming from confirmation bias. The points you make largely come due to the involvement of Davey. Without the involvement of Davey it is clear it is unlikely they would get such a skilled administrator or such a generous benefactor. Even with the involvement of Davey Huddersfield have struggled.

That's the role of an owner isn't it?

And which teams with an owner haven't struggled?

Whatever your definition of struggled is?

We've done extremely well under DAVY, but it depends what you look for.

Salford & Rowley getting plenty of plaudits on the Saints match thread for last nights win, but I don’t mind admitting I find it unsettling  bearing in mind the subject matter discussed here. If and when the wheels finally do come off, I don’t think I’ll be shedding many tears. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Salford & Rowley getting plenty of plaudits on the Saints match thread for last nights win, but I don’t mind admitting I find it unsettling  bearing in mind the subject matter discussed here. If and when the wheels finally do come off, I don’t think I’ll be shedding many tears. 

Which ever way you look at things regarding the constant financial support they get from the local authority. At least on the pitch they seem to be doing things right. I also like their style of rugby and enjoy watching their games. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Which ever way you look at things regarding the constant financial support they get from the local authority. At least on the pitch they seem to be doing things right. I also like their style of rugby and enjoy watching their games. 

It’s these gifts/loans and begging bowls from fans that are enabling the club to get the team that would likely be out of reach otherwise. Had it not been for these sticky plasters the club would likely have folded by now. 

I don’t dislike Salford but even if this stadium deal gets done they will need to cut their cloth accordingly and be run in a more sustainable manner. 

3 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

It’s these gifts/loans and begging bowls from fans that are enabling the club to get the team that would likely be out of reach otherwise. Had it not been for these sticky plasters the club would likely have folded by now. 

I don’t dislike Salford but even if this stadium deal gets done they will need to cut their cloth accordingly and be run in a more sustainable manner. 

I would argue that a fan buying a ticket is making a gift to a club, and that a fan buying a season ticket is making a loan, to be paid back over time, over all the home games spread over a season. It's season ticket sales that provide a pre-srason cash boost to a club.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

So the club is unsustainable but if they play attractive rugby it’s ok? Fair enough! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

So the club is unsustainable but if they play attractive rugby it’s ok? Fair enough! 

I think you have misread me there Morris. Their constant financial support is an issue ,BUT from a rugby side they seem to get things right. I do agree with others that these bail outs are not sustainable and as a club thy need to address this sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I think you have misread me there Morris. Their constant financial support is an issue ,BUT from a rugby side they seem to get things right. I do agree with others that these bail outs are not sustainable and as a club thy need to address this sooner rather than later.

I can only think that they are trying to address it by hedging bets on a good finish and reaching finals to grow support and utilise prize money. Risky but the way IMG position points work it would probably give them a year or two grace if they were to cut their cloth and finish bottom end of table for a year or two. 

21 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I find it sad that you will be happy for the game to lose yet another club.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Morris's "ill-will" won't result in the loss of "yet another club".

The mismanagement of an ownership group, and the blind indifference of a fan-base will however.

2 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Random thought- if Old Trafford is redeveloped with a new build- could they turn current Old Trafford into 20k stadium that Salford could play in (like Etihad campus) and sell AJ Bell to Sale? 

That might be possible, but a fair few years off yet. United still haven't decided what they want to do yet.

1 minute ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Random thought- if Old Trafford is redeveloped with a new build- could they turn current Old Trafford into 20k stadium that Salford could play in (like Etihad campus) and sell AJ Bell to Sale? 

Unicorns and all that I know 

How do they turn OT into a 20k stadium?

The council own the AJ Bell so Salford get nothing out of any sale.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't think anyone would be happy to see the game lose a club. Doesn't mean that people have to be happy to see a club that has defaulted on numerous payments to the local authority, i.e. public money, bring in hundreds of thousands of pounds in share schemes and player sales etc, and not pay any of those defaults back. Instead, going out to sign McDonald, Cust, Shorrocks, Nofoaluma and so on.

When payments are missed, there is always a knock on effect. If I was part of the council, I'd be wanting to talk about those payments before cheap rent and distribution of beer profits.

32 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Unicorns and all that I know 

It would be odd to then have both of Salford's RL clubs playing in Trafford and Trafford's RU team playing in Salford.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1