War of the Roses (Again)

You've had the debate now make your choice.   

34 members have voted

1. 1. War of the Roses.. Yes or No

• Bring it back.
    • Leave it in the past.

In my view, there has to be some sort of link to controversy, current rivalry etc. So more like The Rivals ( yes, I know it's been used already) or The Upstarts Trophy

Yorkshire  Vs The Challengers.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

So far, your idea is: play it, market it.

The rivalry between NSW and Queensland was real and already had a RL angle. Is it really going to ruin your season if Lancashire lose to Yorkshire?

How much does it ruin a Panthers fans season if NSW lose? 

If I boils down to the only rep fixtures we get played in the NH is England Vs France then what other options are out there? Maybe a decent legacy Ireland side is all I can think of 

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

How much does it ruin a Panthers fans season if NSW lose? 

If I boils down to the only rep fixtures we get played in the NH is England Vs France then what other options are out there? Maybe a decent legacy Ireland side is all I can think of 

But there are more casual followers of rugby league who will be gutted when NSW lose.

There are no casual followers of county rugby league out there to give this game any meaning and you can’t really fake meaning.

I’ve said before because this thread comes up all the time. State of Origin is massive outlier. They couldn’t even make it work with other states in other sports in Australia. But because it’s big in rugby league we think this unique rep level game that is bigger than internationals is something we can copy.

Experience, literally a century of Roses games, shows that is not true.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But there are more casual followers of rugby league who will be gutted when NSW lose.

There are no casual followers of county rugby league out there to give this game any meaning and you can’t really fake meaning.

I’ve said before because this thread comes up all the time. State of Origin is massive outlier. They couldn’t even make it work with other states in other sports in Australia. But because it’s big in rugby league we think this unique rep level game that is bigger than internationals is something we can copy.

That is the eternal issue.. we all want something like State of Origin and it may well be possible.. but so far its impossible to see how it works and how you get everyone behind it.. anything that doesnt have some sort of deep rooted pull on the fans is not going to be intense enough.. all stars matches in the US show this when it is 1 conference v another who really cares! it would be great to have but I cannot think of one other sport that has really cracked it. 

The truth is Yorkshire is inward looking in many ways which is good and bad whereas Lancashire’s two major cities have exploded onto the world stage really in reputation and importance over a number of measures.

The sporting rivalry is really about regions within Lancashire eclipsing any need to be too concerned with what’s happening to Yorkshire.

The genie is out the bottle and is difficult to put back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The truth is Yorkshire is inward looking in many ways which is good and bad whereas Lancashire’s two major cities have exploded onto the world stage really in reputation and importance over a number of measures.

The sporting rivalry is really about regions within Lancashire eclipsing any need to be too concerned with what’s happening to Yorkshire.

The genie is out the bottle and is difficult to put back.

Nice try.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The whole rugby league project in England could be viewed like this 

It doesn't need to be as big as origin in Australia - it doesn't need to be like Origin 

A success could be a decent one off game with a decent turn out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Blackpool and Blackburn?

dont be daft... Blackpool is a town 😛 .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s great putting Yorkshire in its place.

Overall, the records are remarkably similar.  Played 92, Yorkshire 45, Lancashire 44, Drawn 3.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A success could be a decent one off game with a decent turn out. 

If you aim for mediocre and miss ...

The World Vs Yorkshire.

There has to be some niggle between the two parties to stoke the thing up in the weeks leading up to the game. Lancs Vs Yorks, Red Roses has lost all its sting. 

• Like 1

A rep game would be good to try and bridge the gap between club and international rugby and give us a landmark fixtures

I don't think that Lancashire v Yorkshire would have the same pull as years gone by

The one that would catch media attention would be North v South. If we looked around SL and stretched the grandparent rule like Jack Charlton did all those years ago there must be quite a few players from outside the heartlands.

The media would love it especially the thought of the South getting one over on the North.

15 minutes ago, headtackle said:

A rep game would be good to try and bridge the gap between club and international rugby and give us a landmark fixtures

I don't think that Lancashire v Yorkshire would have the same pull as years gone by

The one that would catch media attention would be North v South. If we looked around SL and stretched the grandparent rule like Jack Charlton did all those years ago there must be quite a few players from outside the heartlands.

The media would love it especially the thought of the South getting one over on the North.

And how many born and bred northerners are going to pull a 'South' shirt on because they had a grandmother from Devon.

40 minutes ago, headtackle said:

I want to beat them more than once, so hopefully a three match series - Wembley, Twickenham, Leigh Sports Village.

55 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

You end up with what we've got now.

Bingo.

And this is, by the admission of its most fervent proponents, an idea that only exists because of a lack of alternatives - not because anyone wants it.

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bingo.

And this is, by the admission of its most fervent proponents, an idea that only exists because of a lack of alternatives - not because anyone wants it.

Yes but by that logic we shouldn't have anything. My point is that if we are going to try something, at least mix it up from the thing that people are getting fed up with now.

• Like 1