Paul Rowley offered contract to be new head coach at Hull FC...

11 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You really need to get out of your own bubble because you're enjoying the smell of your own farts.

If you don't think finishing bottom and joint bottom were failures, you've got some interesting mental gymnastics. It's all part of the journey, nothing wrong with just saying "yeah, we had a rough few years rebuilding." I know plenty of Hull KR fans that hold their hand up to those shoddy years and did so at the time also. I won't tar them all with the same brush like you try to ours because I'm not that bitter.

Enjoy your progression. You should. But remember, you haven't won anything yet so maybe get down from that pedestal.

You're hilarious. I watched the progression of the club behind the scenes, the better decisions we were making, and understand how that has ultimately led to the improved performances of the last 3 seasons. Unlike you lot I don't expect immediate, miraculous turnarounds, or assume that success is our birthright. The progression of a club can be measured by much more than some short-term league finishes. Do you think the last few years sprang out of nowhere, like some lottery win? Just naive.

Like I say, when Hull FC address some root causes, some things that need long-term fixes that might even take place whilst first team performances get worse rather than better, then maybe then you can start to turn things around.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride. 

On 24/04/2024 at 15:06, The Blues Ox said:

This along with a very average junior set up and the fact that agents will push the prices up of their players knowing Hull will have to pay over the odds for quality and it all adds to the time any rebuild will take. Like I said above other teams mentioned all had things to work with, either a couple of strong current players or terrific junior set up, where as Hull really have nothing at this point.

Who would be the player/players that Hull could try and build a team round? Because they are such a mess having to overpay to get a marquee signing or two ends up hampering them even further especially when a lot of the teams around them have exemptions allowing them to over spend the cap.

"The Category 1 ‘Outstanding’ rated Centre of Excellence now boasts four squads – scholarship squad, development squad, reserves squad and academy squad – as well as a Rising Stars programme for players on the cusp of breaking into the first-team."

What is Hull FC's Centre of Excellence?

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

"The Category 1 ‘Outstanding’ rated Centre of Excellence now boasts four squads – scholarship squad, development squad, reserves squad and academy squad – as well as a Rising Stars programme for players on the cusp of breaking into the first-team."

What is Hull FC's Centre of Excellence?

Who are the players Hull are going to build a squad capable of winning things around? Maybe they have some hidden gems that are not well known? Its obviously going to be hard living off the scraps that Wigan, Saints, Hudds, and Leeds don't take but maybe there some local future stars in there somewhere?

38 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Who are the players Hull are going to build a squad capable of winning things around? Maybe they have some hidden gems that are not well known? Its obviously going to be hard living off the scraps that Wigan, Saints, Hudds, and Leeds don't take but maybe there some local future stars in there somewhere?

From the current academy, Charles, Dawson, Wainhouse, Westerman, Lloyd Kemp, Hutchison, Turner.  Some of these are right at the end of their age group though so you would expect they will be a year delayed in their physical development. 
I aren’t saying these are all nailed on, academy never are as they sometimes stray of the line, but these have a lot of ability. Edit: I should also add Lennon Clark.

Those above plus those that are in the reserves/first team - Gardiner, Litten, Martin, Jebson, Laidlaw, Moy, Hodgson.

The youth at Hull is showing a lot of promise and I think they have a decent bloke, in Pete Riding, watching over them.

Foundation, I don’t know enough about.

Edited by Lowdesert
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

From the current academy, Charles, Dawson, Wainhouse, Westerman, Lloyd Kemp, Hutchison, Turner.  Some of these are right at the end of their age group though so you would expect they will be a year delayed in their physical development. 
I aren’t saying these are all nailed on, academy never are as they sometimes stray of the line, but these have a lot of ability. Edit: I should also add Lennon Clark.

Those above plus those that are in the reserves/first team - Gardiner, Litten, Martin, Jebson, Laidlaw, Moy, Hodgson.

The youth at Hull is showing a lot of promise and I think they have a decent bloke, in Pete Riding, watching over them.

I used to teach the Kemp twins when they were 10. You could tell even at that age they were very talented rugby players. Was really chuffed to see they both got signed up. How are they both doing?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Delusional.

I’m not deluded about anything. Rovers are a Top 6 side trying to do the right stuff to be a consistent Top 4 side. I know exactly what we are. Ambitious, but still striving.

There’s only one set of fans in Hull with “big club” delusions, as a result of having a free ride in a big rugby league city for more than a decade. Partly on the back of being gifted another club’s TV money and playing squad…!!

We know where we are right now, and trying to change it. 2016 was a tipping point, but it’s still a long road ahead… not as long as yours mind, but long enough 🤣🤣🤣

22 hours ago, Worzel said:

I’m not deluded about anything. Rovers are a Top 6 side trying to do the right stuff to be a consistent Top 4 side. I know exactly what we are. Ambitious, but still striving.

There’s only one set of fans in Hull with “big club” delusions, as a result of having a free ride in a big rugby league city for more than a decade. Partly on the back of being gifted another club’s TV money and playing squad…!!

We know where we are right now, and trying to change it. 2016 was a tipping point, but it’s still a long road ahead… not as long as yours mind, but long enough 🤣🤣🤣

Your a top 6 side for now and doing very well. The game is cyclical. Win a year or 2, could go the other way. What works now might not work later. I remember all too well how that switched on the late 00s from doing well near the top and suddenly a few bad decisions and back down with the pack. Heard it all from your like back then too. "Look at us, we're on the up, you lot are rubbish supporters." Funny how it switched back around and we actually achieved success, but hey-ho.

The free-ride thing is just laughable. It's not just Hull fans that would say we're a big club. We are objectively a big club going by the criteria, and that's why it's disappointing we're doing so poorly. Warrington are a big club despite some really poor seasons. Leeds are. 

It just speaks of your insecurity with your lot that you feel the need to try and emphasise negativity around other clubs whilst repainting your own history in a way that makes it seem every failure was done mystical lesson on the journey. You've sacked a fair few of your coaches on the way and made terrible decisions too.

Once you get to a point where you don't feel the need to bring up your rivals, then you know you're happy with your lot. Until then, keep twitching those curtains at the neighbours.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Your a top 6 side for now and doing very well. The game is cyclical. Win a year or 2, could go the other way. What works now might not work later. I remember all too well how that switched on the late 00s from doing well near the top and suddenly a few bad decisions and back down with the pack. Heard it all from your like back then too. "Look at us, we're on the up, you lot are rubbish supporters." Funny how it switched back around and we actually achieved success, but hey-ho.

The free-ride thing is just laughable. It's not just Hull fans that would say we're a big club. We are objectively a big club going by the criteria, and that's why it's disappointing we're doing so poorly. Warrington are a big club despite some really poor seasons. Leeds are. 

It just speaks of your insecurity with your lot that you feel the need to try and emphasise negativity around other clubs whilst repainting your own history in a way that makes it seem every failure was done mystical lesson on the journey. You've sacked a fair few of your coaches on the way and made terrible decisions too.

Once you get to a point where you don't feel the need to bring up your rivals, then you know you're happy with your lot. Until then, keep twitching those curtains at the neighbours.

I’ve zero insecurity on this subject. I’ve absolutely loved being a Rovers fan, even when Barrow were beating us 1 nil in the 3rd division. Life’s far, far better lived in colour than in black & white. 🤣🤣🤣

As you’ve shown in this discussion, many Hull FC fans are entitled, thinking they deserve success by some sort of right, and yes you were all absolutely insufferable at the start of the Super League era. But we put our heads down, and did what we needed to do. A period of reflective humility from some of you would be very welcome, but based on your response here I’m not expecting it. 

50 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Where?

The tone of pretty much everything you’ve said. 

Let’s just remember, this whole conversation started because you couldn’t bear me seeing our 2016 relegation as a turning point, and so tried to bring the club’s progress down by reference to some later league positions. As if short-term league position was the only measure of long-term progress.

Like I said, absolutely insufferable. 

#bigclub 

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 16:54, Lowdesert said:

You definitely have a good un in Pete Riding, he oversaw the development at Fartown of the likes of Lawrence, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Connor, Luke George, Josh Griffin, Josh Johnson, Nathan Mason etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

The tone of pretty much everything you’ve said. 

Let’s just remember, this whole conversation started because you couldn’t bear me seeing our 2016 relegation as a turning point, and so tried to bring the club’s progress down by reference to some later league positions. As if short-term league position was the only measure of long-term progress.

Like I said, absolutely insufferable. 

#bigclub 

Well, no. You started making a subject about Salford and Hull into something about Rovers after having a little outburst about something that happened years ago (got callee out on the bitterness there) and that began stretching a few truths to save face.

It wasn't the turning point. Nothing "turned around" (hence the phrase "turning" point), in fact it was the consistently worst run in Rovers' time in SL. A few coaches came and went in that time, lots of other chopping and changing occured. Not trying to "bring the progress down", all I was saying is it came later. You don't need to over-egg the progress, it's impressive what Rovers are doing and I take my hat off to them. Unlike you, I'm able to acknowledge the positives of the other side. Your bitterness prevents you from doing that and leads you to just making things up to try justify the bitterness. That's insufferable.

But hey, you do you.

19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well, no. You started making a subject about Salford and Hull into something about Rovers after having a little outburst about something that happened years ago (got callee out on the bitterness there) and that began stretching a few truths to save face.

It wasn't the turning point. Nothing "turned around" (hence the phrase "turning" point), in fact it was the consistently worst run in Rovers' time in SL. A few coaches came and went in that time, lots of other chopping and changing occured. Not trying to "bring the progress down", all I was saying is it came later. You don't need to over-egg the progress, it's impressive what Rovers are doing and I take my hat off to them. Unlike you, I'm able to acknowledge the positives of the other side. Your bitterness prevents you from doing that and leads you to just making things up to try justify the bitterness. That's insufferable.

But hey, you do you.

You either don’t get it, or pretend not to get it to be obtuse. It was a turning point, because the club changed its whole approach. I watched it happen. The results of the changes made then we are now seeing.

As I said earlier in this “debate” (if I’m being generous), the fact you only see a turning point through the prism of immediate results is probably a cultural problem in your club. You’re unlikely to make progress until you look at other more important short-term inputs and outputs. 

Finally, my original point was wholly relevant to the discussion at the time: Harry S was asking if Koucash’s call for an end to the salary cap would have led to a stronger league. I pointed out it would not, as Koucash himself was an example of the financial mismanagement without limits. My club was one of the victims of his Walter Mitty approach. 

You then derailed it into this dull discussion, because you’re struggling to cope with your own season. Boo hoo. 

The simple way of putting it is there was a respectful, mature decision between two clubs and that’s as far as it went. They and I came to the conclusion that I’m happy (Daily Mirror)

Probably just me with my personal views on Rowley, but I think the above quote from Rowley is a bit odd and could even suggest that in the end the decision was made for him and not by him.  He even had to have Salfords help to decide that he was happy🤔

Here we go again .....

20 hours ago, DemonUK said:

Probably just me with my personal views on Rowley, but I think the above quote from Rowley is a bit odd and could even suggest that in the end the decision was made for him and not by him.  He even had to have Salfords help to decide that he was happy🤔

I have to say I thought exactly the same. Either his English isn't great (which I don't believe) or he gave the quote in a way that hinted he didn't have much say in the matter.

I feel this story still has legs.

• Like 1
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I have to say I thought exactly the same. Either his English isn't great (which I don't believe) or he gave the quote in a way that hinted he didn't have much say in the matter.

I feel this story still has legs.

Suggest you find the post match interview, he allowed 2 questions then cut them off. I think this is probably the same type of "flogging the dead horse" style of speaking to him.

From the interview on this site

Following Salford’s 17-12 win over Warrington on Saturday afternoon, Rowley was asked about his future to which he replied: “I have a headache, I can say that pretty much because you lot keep pecking me out with phone calls and texts.

Edited by Red Willow

On 28/04/2024 at 13:23, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I certainly always consider Hull FC to be a big club and a sleeping giant.

Rowley he said in that interview that he's happy at Salford and he values happiness.

And so why would he go to Hull, Leeds, Saints or Huddersfield for that matter, as all of these can be said to be 'underperforming' and 'underperforming', obviously suggests something major is wrong and needs turning around?

Salford are 'overperforming' and so that's the place to be, because it suggests there are less problems there than in the 4 teams listed above.

And he values happiness over a 'poisoned chalice' no matter how much money they throw at him.

More likely eventualities:

Wellands to Huddersfield

Watson to Hull

Saints and Leeds to bring Aussies again

• Like 1

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper