Is home taping killing music?

Seriously, people still record from the radio? I don't know since I haven't had much interest in pop music since about 1970 - blues and jazz fan, mainly. Why don't people just buy their music from semi-legal online music shops? So much easier and quicker than recording it from anywhere. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too many people are happy to wait for the Sunday night top 40 and effectively 'steal' music by recording from the radio 

Will music survive this?

1. Why would anyone interested in good music tape the top 40....and

2. What's taping ?

Edited by HawkMan

2 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I used to wear a t-shirt on a (slightly) similar theme, "home ###### is killing prostitution". 😀

Did the swear filter really catch "tugging"?

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

2. What's taping ?

Ha ha.....one day there will be a big system where you can look things like this up...like a huge searchable information system with pictures and everything 

For now get yourself an Encyclopedia Brittanica and see if it's in there 

On 24/04/2024 at 18:45, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too many people are happy to wait for the Sunday night top 40 and effectively 'steal' music by recording from the radio 

Will music survive this?

Is it 1984

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

I think you`ll find Video Killed The Radio Star .

uZJuxvX.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

a slogan like -  huge greedy cooperate record companies are killing music - may have been more truthful in that era

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

a slogan like -  huge greedy cooperate record companies are killing music - may have been more truthful in that era

I still find it remarkable what I used to pay for CD albums.....£11-£13 was normal in the mid 90s

That's the equivalent to £28 now

For one album.....

Blimey I average a new album a week that I explore on Spotify....would be a £110 a month habit

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I still find it remarkable what I used to pay for CD albums.....£11-£13 was normal in the mid 90s

That's the equivalent to £28 now

For one album.....

Blimey I average a new album a week that I explore on Spotify....would be a £110 a month habit

I agree but at least you got an actual artefact for that money and in a jewel case no less. It's not apples for apples. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

11 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I agree but at least you got an actual artefact for that money and in a jewel case no less. It's not apples for apples. 

The artefact i saw as a pain in the ars e

CDs would scratch, get lost and at the least need to be stored (remember those CD album folders that zipped up or crappy towers) ....I much prefer what we all use now ...same for films 

Anyway...the real issue here is people using thier tape decks to record songs fromBruno Brook's weekly countdown....it's a disgrace 

8 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

the jewel case has to be the worst invention known to man

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the jewel case has to be the worst invention known to man

Incredibly poorly engineered

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

More than that sometimes. Fifteen quid was a standard price for a lot of more obscure titles.

Most I ever paid for a CD was £19 for Is This Real, the debut album by The Wipers. Had never been able to find it on vinyl. Couldn't resist. Blow softened to an extent by a "Spend £100, get £20 off" voucher.

Let's name and shame - HMV Manchester.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

But with Spotify or YouTube, you can try before you buy to an extent that's never been possible before. Even in the "good old days" of listening booths in record shops, you were limited to what they stocked.

Then, if you find something you really love, get the physical disc. That way you've got offline access and backup in case your streaming service gets done for tax fraud or the record label decides to withdraw their catalogue from it due to miserly payments per play.

Ralph Waldo Emerson