Sat 27th-Sun 28th Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Close at the top

Virtually same Wakefield and Sheffield, Wakefield scored just 2 points more but both same on conceding.  Should be a belter on Friday night.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

Exactly we only discussed the game not our fault the people in charge weren’t up to the job they are asked to do. 

I didn't go to the game but to have genuine comments about the refs or games officials censored are an affront to freedom of expression.Most games both sets of spectators have grumbles about the refs but it is subjective rules can be interpreted differently ie  Jake Connor in the Huddersfield Saints match.Haven fans have a right to their opinion but the forum moderators have an agenda against freedom of speech.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Widnes wee thd second best team we have faced this year, znd I'd have said that if they had lost. Inventive, thinking differently, organised and looked lean not bulky as a side and fast. 

We're massively improved since the first games of the season, that's for sure, and definitely seem like more than the sum of the parts.

Probably worth pointing out that we've been close to fielding a first choice team in every game since the championship started, and have even been able to do a bit of squad rotation/ resting of players. That's a big contrast to for example, Halifax.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Oxy was right with his Fax prediction.Never mind a bit easier next week away to FEV 😃

Between myself and mumby Magic we are doing a great job of ruining Fax's season. 🤣 

Our players seem to be able to get up for Fev games so Im going for Fev by 24 next week. 😂 Week after that we have the relegation battle game with York. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

We're massively improved since the first games of the season, that's for sure, and definitely seem like more than the sum of the parts.

Probably worth pointing out that we've been close to fielding a first choice team in every game since the championship started, and have even been able to do a bit of squad rotation/ resting of players. That's a big contrast to for example, Halifax.  

That's definitely a huge factor and fair play to you for commenting on it. With money being tight most teams are running not only with smaller squads but also with less quality depth, and injuries have hurt loads of teams already.

The definite exceptions are Wakefield who clearly have some quality depth and probably Sheffield this season too, but the likes of Halifax, York, Bradford, Fev and several others have really been hit by injuries. Fev for instance played very poorly yesterday but were misisng Aekins, Springer, Hardcastle, Lacans, Massey,  and Tanner and have been shuffling players around trying to fill gaps lately, same at quite a number of clubs.

16 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I didn't go to the game but to have genuine comments about the refs or games officials censored are an affront to freedom of expression.Most games both sets of spectators have grumbles about the refs but it is subjective rules can be interpreted differently ie  Jake Connor in the Huddersfield Saints match.Haven fans have a right to their opinion but the forum moderators have an agenda against freedom of speech.

This forum has been plagued by incessant whining about refs in match threads and it's clear that John Drake who has the thankless task of overseeing it has had enough. You can't blame him as the publishers would share liability for any legal action taken- it amazes me that in this day and age people still think they can put things on forums/social media as if they were talking to a pal down the pub -  and he has made it abundantly clear that he won't stand for it with his comment at the start of each game thread. If people don't like the rules of the forum perhaps they should find another one?

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Between myself and mumby Magic we are doing a great job of ruining Fax's season. 🤣 

Our players seem to be able to get up for Fev games so Im going for Fev by 24 next week. 😂 Week after that we have the relegation battle game with York. 

Keep the faith Ox. You'll win next week.

• Haha 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

24 minutes ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

Haven robbed end off and what happened to freedom of speech as sentoffagain2 states. 

Whinger.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I attended and Doncaster OAP’s were definitely the worthy winners. £450-000 pumped in since last season please bear in mind. I did not think your team was anything special. I also noted that the right edge continually displayed visual frustration in relation to let’s say more left edge attacking plays. Individual egos at war perhaps! Would be interested to know why the score flattered Dewsbury. Initially I was going to submit a well done Donny post. However I admit that your disingenuous comment got under my skin. Maybe you are still bitter that we overhauled your team in the pop and crisp League last season. Enjoy things whilst it lasts. Not sure what your beloved club/team long term plan is I.e youth players etc.

e88298f75f19b598b2eba0c336611f9c.png

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Widnes were the second best team we have faced this year, and I'd have said that if they had lost. Inventive, thinking differently, organised and looked lean not bulky as a side and fast. 

A bit weird reading this, reading other clubs forums the general impression seems to be they lost to a decidedly average team. Agree with Jon M though losing Langtree yesterday is a blow.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

16 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I attended and Doncaster OAP’s were definitely the worthy winners. £450-000 pumped in since last season please bear in mind. I did not think your team was anything special. I also noted that the right edge continually displayed visual frustration in relation to let’s say more left edge attacking plays. Individual egos at war perhaps! Would be interested to know why the score flattered Dewsbury. Initially I was going to submit a well done Donny post. However I admit that your disingenuous comment got under my skin. Maybe you are still bitter that we overhauled your team in the pop and crisp League last season. Enjoy things whilst it lasts. Not sure what your beloved club/team long term plan is I.e youth players etc.

If you actually bothered to know as much about Doncaster RLFC as you claim, then you'd know the clubs plans for youth players and local development.

The oldest player on the pitch yesterday wasn't in the Blue and Gold of Doncaster either...

• Thanks 2

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

Swinton got another win, got a hard run of games now though, Bradford H, Wakefield A, York H, Featherstone A, be interesting to see if we can get any points out of them

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

A bit weird reading this, reading other clubs forums the general impression seems to be they lost to a decidedly average team. Agree with Jon M though losing Langtree yesterday is a blow.

Other Bulls fans being biased and blinkered. Nope can't be right. Lol.

We lost due to bad game management. Widnes shapes at some of the play of the balls were great. Made me look at ours more which were a dog leg alot of the time at best.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, robt said:

If you actually bothered to know as much about Doncaster RLFC as you claim, then you'd know the clubs plans for youth players and local development.

The oldest player on the pitch yesterday wasn't in the Blue and Gold of Doncaster either...

I think he does know about the Dons Rob, through Ollie Greensmith. 

Edited by Moonshine

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

53 minutes ago, Mark said:

Swinton got another win, got a hard run of games now though, Bradford H, Wakefield A, York H, Featherstone A, be interesting to see if we can get any points out of them

I'd have you as favourites for the two home games. Not sure many people would've predicted Swinton in fifth place after six games and above Bradford & Toulouse.

25 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I know mate. Wasn't being disenguous in any way. All I said was score flattered them. Our forwards seemed to have it all their own way. Our rucks were much faster and they couldn't handle it. Wasn't being clever, honest assessment.

Edited by Rene_Artois

5 hours ago, Havenwarrior2021 said:

Haven robbed end off and what happened to freedom of speech as sentoffagain2 states. 

You must be right because a Widnes supporter has a letter in League Express saying they were robbed at Featherstone last week. 😃 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Other Bulls fans being biased and blinkered. Nope can't be right. Lol.

We lost due to bad game management. Widnes shapes at some of the play of the balls were great. Made me look at ours more which were a dog leg alot of the time at best.

Tbh when we levelled it at 13 each I'd have took that. With that wind I couldn't see us getting into position again to win it.  

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

On 28/04/2024 at 15:28, kiggy said:

I just looked at the TO team they put out. Ben Laguerre at full back and no Shorocks? I think they did well to get 12pts with that team!

Lot if key players missing.. ( OAB, Armitage, shorrocks, Richard, Brochon) 

16 hours ago, JonM said:

I'd have you as favourites for the two home games. Not sure many people would've predicted Swinton in fifth place after six games and above Bradford & Toulouse.

I hope you ae right, I would probably be happy with one win and no injuries during that time, a life time of supporting Swinton has left me with low expectations though! 

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

17 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

I know mate. Wasn't being disenguous in any way. All I said was score flattered them. Our forwards seemed to have it all their own way. Our rucks were much faster and they couldn't handle it. Wasn't being clever, honest assessment.

Just to clarify a couple of points. First point I am not connected to the player whom ‘Moonshine’ alluded to. Just wanted to try and ensure that any future comments I post on this site are not attributed to the player’s dad. This would be incorrect and unfair. Regarding flattered. You are correct that Dons were emphatic in every aspect of the game. However any final score line is what it is. Dewsbury scored twelve points. It is not their fault that your team took a massive dummy and later failed to defuse a high kick. It is not their fault that your team failed to score more than thirty eight points despite the emphatic control that they possessed. That’s why I was flattered at your use of the word flattered.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Just for clarity I am not the individual who you are thinking I am. This is just so any future comments I make on this site are not attributed to that player’s dad as I feel that this would be very unfair. I know the person in question and I can understand your initial way of thinking. Regarding the youth aspect I apologise and accept my ignorance kicked in. I will do some research to hopefully get up to speed.

• Like 2