Applications to League 1 Open

I wonder if these supposed  clubs really know how much it cost to run a League One club. Most of these clubs only own  a bag of balls. If you don't own your the ground you have no chance. People on here should realise the cost n not live in a dream land.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I’m sure Bedford would have done their homework and I would go watch the odd game but from my “limited” knowledge a successful venture would cost around 250k a year minimum.

IMO a semi successful Outpost side would need

- an experienced coach 

- a playing budget better than other L1 clubs 

- serious business backing

- a solid home / stadium where they’re not at the mercy of landlords 

- juniors 

- a 2nd team

- around 20 dedicated volunteers

- a 5 and 10 year plan 

If those points aren’t covered then don’t do it, Bedford have been a great success story for 20 years and the risk is that would be destroyed.

Edited by northamptoncougar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Sounds well thought out. I really hope they can make a go of it and if they do have the finances to back it up without relying on central funding, the RFL would be batspit crazy to look elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Sounds well thought out. I really hope they can make a go of it and if they do have the finances to back it up without relying on central funding, the RFL would be batspit crazy to look elsewhere.

Nothing against Tigers but it's not well thought out. Unless they can get significant muti year financial backing they have no chance. All the other stuff means little.

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

Nothing against Tigers but it's not well thought out. Unless they can get significant muti year financial backing they have no chance. All the other stuff means little.

And if they can secure the finances?

On 25/05/2024 at 20:48, headtackle said:

Would be interesting if one of the big Southern RU clubs submitted an application

Bath, Gloucester, Bristol, Exeter ?

OK they would be starting at the bottom but from their point of view a handy outlet to blood or try out fringe Union players. If they were successful and made it to the Championship or SL full year revenue and shared costs.

Why not Worcester or London Irish, even Wasps? Makes more sense perhaps than an extant Premiership club. 

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The Yorkshire Post is reporting that Goole Vikings have submitted, or are planning to submit, an expression of interest to join League 1.

Another West Riding team!

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, newbe said:

I wonder if these supposed  clubs really know how much it cost to run a League One club. Most of these clubs only own  a bag of balls. 

Ideal for cup draws.

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'm genuinely amazed clubs want to give it a go. There is barely any central funding and massive travel costs. They'll be looking at an outlay of £200k a year to be even remotely competitive 

Maybe the deal is that travel will be funded. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Maybe the deal is that travel will be funded. Who knows?

Who by? And from what pot?

And if it didn't cover all League 1 clubs there would be an almighty kick off and they would simply not secure the votes to be admitted.

40 minutes ago, del capo said:

Who by? And from what pot?

And if it didn't cover all League 1 clubs there would be an almighty kick off and they would simply not secure the votes to be admitted.

It wont be league one clubs who decide will it?

Posted (edited)

If you’re using local players and professionals with decent day jobs then the £200k budget is excessive. I’d say £100k gets you to the line IF you have favourable ground facilities - like Gateshead, with low rent and option that you can earn match day income from. 

Edited by dealwithit

4 hours ago, dealwithit said:

If you’re using local players and professionals with decent day jobs then the £200k budget is excessive. I’d say £100k gets you to the line IF you have favourable ground facilities - like Gateshead, with low rent and option that you can earn match day income from. 

Might get you to the line but winning a couple of games a season isn't going to help you build a club.

25 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I suspect @Griff may have been fishing for that one!

In the traditional West Riding, administered by East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

You're a smart one.

Yes, it's on the West Riding side of the river.

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

No chance that SL and Championship clubs will agree to reducing their own funding to pay for it. 

You reckon the Championship clubs would prefer a huge division of twenty-odd teams, as unrealistically proposed on this very forum a few months ago?

Sometimes sacrificing a few quid can save you thousands.

In case you missed it first time round, who knows?