Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#321 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Is that actually possible?

only if you aren't a real man
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#322 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

only if you aren't a real man

There are limits. For most of us, at least - one of the contestants was hospitalised TWICE.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#323 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

I made this recipe yesterday, and very nice it was too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#324 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Bacon Jam... I really don't know what to think about this.

#325 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

A visit yesterday to 'The Rib Man' with his stall between King's Cross and St Pancras. Tale one soft white bap, shove in not one but two fistfulls of shredded, slow-cooked pig and dollop on the barbecue sauce (I wimped out of having the 'Holy ######' sauce option).

Pretty damn good. I normally adhere to Miss Piggy's adage that you should never eat anything larger than your own head. Fortunately, I have a very large head.

The area North of the two stations is undergoing much improvement. Wander up towards the canal, past the giant rainbow-lit birdcage with the swing inside, and you see the fountains in front of the art college. It's still a work in progress, but much less seedy than it used to be.

#326 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Bacon Jam... I really don't know what to think about this.

Bacon Jam is apparently going to be stocked by Tesco! Must look for some.

#327 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

A big heads-up for anyone in/heading to London - the last two evenings (around 6pm), I've walked overground between Kings Cross and St Pancras and noticed that the Eat Street food stalls are staying open late. They normally close at about half past two, so I'd need to take a half day off work to sample their wares. :)

#328 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

A big heads-up for anyone in/heading to London - the last two evenings (around 6pm), I've walked overground between Kings Cross and St Pancras and noticed that the Eat Street food stalls are staying open late. They normally close at about half past two, so I'd need to take a half day off work to sample their wares. :)

Just checked the Eat Street website, and the new opening hours (for the duration of the Olympics) is 11am - 8pm.

#329 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Just checked the Eat Street website, and the new opening hours (for the duration of the Olympics) is 11am - 8pm.

I like the food you get at camden market. Gourmet it isn't but it's interesting, varied, tasty and cheap.
I've just been cleaning out my food cupboards.
I've found lots of half empty packets of curry ingredients- cardomom, coriander seeds the lot. I've just blitzed the whole lot together, regardless of ratios or anything like that: I make curry by the seat of my pants as it were, anyway: result an interesting easy to use curry powder.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#330 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I have just bought a bottle of wasabi mayonnaise, from Hellmans' new range. It's very slightly green, and I have no idea what it will go with.

#331 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have just bought a bottle of wasabi mayonnaise, from Hellmans' new range. It's very slightly green, and I have no idea what it will go with.

Prawns.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#332 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Prawns.

Indeed. It might also be good as a dip for french fries.

#333 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

My dustbin. It's also green.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#334 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Back to Eat Street at Kings Cross again last night. A multicultural feast of chicken & chorizo taco, followed by a bhel puri and finished off with Italian ice cream (salted caramel flavour).

Taste? Lovely.
Cost? Seven quid for the lot.

#335 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I don't bake much, just the occasional loaf of soda bread (because I rarely have time to make regular bread, with all the rising time etc.).

Incidentally, soda bread with finely chopped black olives and preserved peppers mixed into the dough is a very fine thing, especially eaten warm with plenty of salted butter.

Be interested to get your soda bread recipe. I love the stuff but can't replicate my grandmothers recipe, which she sadly took with her to the grave.

#336 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Be interested to get your soda bread recipe. I love the stuff but can't replicate my grandmothers recipe, which she sadly took with her to the grave.

Mine is the one from 'River Cottage Everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I can't vouch for its excellence, but it tastes good to me. Sometimes I use yoghurt if I can't get buttermilk.

LINK TO RECIPE

The preserved pepper brand I use is Peppadew, which you can get in most supermarkets.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 August 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#337 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Mine is the one from 'River Cottage Everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I can't vouch for its excellence, but it tastes good to me. Sometimes I use yoghurt if I can't get buttermilk.

LINK TO RECIPE

The preserved pepper brand I use is Peppadew, which you can get in most supermarkets.

It's pretty straightforward stuff to make to be honest. I think I just have some kind of Proustian thing going on with it.

#338 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I like the food you get at camden market. Gourmet it isn't but it's interesting, varied, tasty and cheap.
I've just been cleaning out my food cupboards.
I've found lots of half empty packets of curry ingredients- cardomom, coriander seeds the lot. I've just blitzed the whole lot together, regardless of ratios or anything like that: I make curry by the seat of my pants as it were, anyway: result an interesting easy to use curry powder.

I agree the with you on the camden market food it is excellent. Love the selling chant: "Wa u wan? I got vegtible spwing woll. You wan pwawn?"

oy shked helwa el horiya

#339 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Bacon Jam is apparently going to be stocked by Tesco! Must look for some.

Bought some, late Saturday morning. Scraped the last little bits from the jar Sunday teatime. Damn tasty!

#340 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Anyone got that link again that gives you recipes from the contents of your kitchen cupboards please?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users