• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Sep 14 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, I don't have kids so may be wrong here, but I'd rather be playing for my country in a test match against the Aussies than sitting in a hospital room with a screaming wife.

Indeed you are wrong.Family should come first.I applaud his honesty and integrity.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 14 September 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#22 stumain

stumain
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Sep 14 2010, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whom would they be?

Shenton and Atkins.

#23 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (StevieM13 @ Sep 14 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the day, second rowers were often used during games as centres because they were bigger and as quick over shorter distances than a natural centre. Goodway, Betts, Haughton etc would all drift out wide.
Once full time came along and players bulked up, that differential was lost and the practice was and is less often used. Now you tend to see backs taking the place of forwards in the scrum so that the defensive line can be more solid and the pack can break quicker. Watch how the likes of Mathers pack down at loose.

yes i understand all that and i know who packs down where.. but i still dont see the point of playing ellis or tomkins out of position at centre.. its not about the defensive line up at the scrum or anything like that (that is also about getting back to your position quicker (especially with Mathers.. he peels back staight into full back instead of a loose peeling across the pitch etc and he is better on the turn if an inside ball is used).. its about attack as well and you dont want to have one of those players out there instead of an out and out centre, especially at test level.

#24 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Sep 14 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lee gilmour was actually playing on the wing for GB when he ghosted right down the middle of the australian defence to score in the 2006 tri nations game in sydney

centers & 2nd rowers are,and should be,pretty much interchangeable in modern day RL

Gilmour was playing their due to an injury IIRC.. it is one thing that ahppening during a match and yes i would move ellis out rather than having a centre on the bench just in case but i would never start with him there instead of say Atkins or even Yeaman.. its a needs must case playing a forward out there not a prefered option.

You want to make sure players are there to cover in the 17 but when you have a squad of 24 you dont need to to do that and you dont start with your cover already in the positions..

#25 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

yeaman and atkins.

#26 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (scotthouston2008 @ Sep 14 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeaman and atkins.

No way should Yeaman get anywhere near the squad. Five or six years ago it looked like he was something special in the making, but he's not progressed one iota since then. To be honest, he's done absolutely nothing for a few seasons now. Strange how quite a lot of promising Hull younsgters have failed to live up to their hype over the last few years. Washbrook, Lee, Yeaman, Hall are four guys who were all touted as future stars when the burst onto the scene, but they've never really had broken any pots. I'd even say that the likes of Cooke, Horne and King have never come close to fulfilling their potential.
What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#27 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

suppose so. dont think it matters where not gunna find 1 centre in our country who will match any of the aus centres never mind 2. damage limitation.

#28 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Leon Pryce anyone? Has a lot to prove after being overlooked for the last couple of years.

Widdop
Briscoe
Atkins
Pryce
Fox
Tomkins
Eastmond

Lots of pace and strength in that back line-up but would need an additional kicker in the pack. Why do we continually beat ourselves up over the quality of our side? Barring Slater, Inglis, Hayne (who are out on their own by miles) we seem to do okay. The Kiwi backs don't scare me and the Aussies could well be without Inglis, Thurston and Lockyer.

Edited by Scubby, 14 September 2010 - 12:10 PM.

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Scubby @ Sep 14 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leon Pryce anyone? Has a lot to prove after being overlooked for the last couple of years.

Widdop
Briscoe
Atkins
Pryce
Fox
Tomkins
Eastmond

Lots of pace and strength in that back line-up but would need an additional kicker in the pack. Why do we continually beat ourselves up over the quality of our side? Barring Slater, Inglis, Hayne (who are out on their own by miles) we seem to do okay. The Kiwi backs don't scare me and the Aussies could well be without Inglis, Thurston and Lockyer.

Leon Pryce is out for the rest of the season and requires surgery (I think) on a neck problem.
Everyone seems to have forgotten Paul Sykes is in the train on squad.Mcnamara will probably select him at some point.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 14 September 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#30 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

Gleeson and Atkins would be my choice with Shenton being very unlucky to miss out.

Atkins has come on a ton at Warrington and Gleeson has sorted his game out under McGuire at Wigan.

Yeaman wouldnt let anyone down if he was picked but whether he deserves the chance is another question.

I would'nt play Sykes, end of!

Tony Clubb would be a better option than Sykes or Yeaman IMO.

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (The Clan @ Sep 14 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gleeson and Atkins would be my choice with Shenton being very unlucky to miss out.

Atkins has come on a ton at Warrington and Gleeson has sorted his game out under McGuire at Wigan.

Yeaman wouldnt let anyone down if he was picked but whether he deserves the chance is another question.

I would'nt play Sykes, end of!

Tony Clubb would be a better option than Sykes or Yeaman IMO.

Must admit I had completely forgotten about Gleeson. Would ahve no issues if he was in there.

#32 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Options (Centre/Wing): Kris Welham, Lee Smith, Tony Clubb, Kyle Eastmond, Jon Wilkin, Martin Gleeson, Leroy Cudjoe, Michael Lawrence, Jamie Foster, Ade Gardner, Kirk Yeamen, Tom Briscoe, Will Sharp, Ryan Atkins, Michael Shenton, Ben Jones-Bishop, Jodie Broughton, Jordan Turner, Chev Walker, Peter Fox, Josh Charmley, Darrell Goulding.

That's all I can think of thought it might help if anyones been forgotten?
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#33 scotthouston2008

scotthouston2008
  • Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

widdop
briscoe
gleeson
atkins
hall
tomkins
eastmond

cudjoe in the next couple of years, really like him.
surely with the start to his super league career charnley could push on to be a superb player in the future for england.

#34 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (no13benny @ Sep 14 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Options (Centre/Wing): Kris Welham, Lee Smith, Tony Clubb, Kyle Eastmond, Jon Wilkin, Martin Gleeson, Leroy Cudjoe, Michael Lawrence, Jamie Foster, Ade Gardner, Kirk Yeamen, Tom Briscoe, Will Sharp, Ryan Atkins, Michael Shenton, Ben Jones-Bishop, Jodie Broughton, Jordan Turner, Chev Walker, Peter Fox, Josh Charmley, Darrell Goulding.

That's all I can think of thought it might help if anyones been forgotten?

Aaron Murphy

#35 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Looking at the stats Gleeson and Yeaman are virtually equals in attack but Gleeson misses far less tackles and makes far fewer errors, so Gleeson and Atkins would be my choice, toss a coin between Shenton and Yeaman for a squad place, Shenton shades it for me as he did pretty well last time round. Clubb would be a good option if somone could teach him to tackle, double the missed tackles of Yeaman!
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#36 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 14 2010, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must admit I had completely forgotten about Gleeson. Would ahve no issues if he was in there.

me too

would be tempted to take clubb for experience over Yeaman with the idea god forbid we get two injuries in the centres.. but depends on how he wants to make the squad up and what the balance would be.. may need to look at full backs/wingers who can play there (tom briscoe) for cover..

#37 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Now, I don't have kids so may be wrong here, but I'd rather be playing for my country in a test match against the Aussies than sitting in a hospital room with a screaming wife.

Don't be daft - I'd like nothing better than to be in a hospital room with my wife watching her writhe and scream in agony for a few hours rolleyes.gif

Sorry that should have been ex wife wink.gif
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#38 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

i used to thikn similar.. its their job.. greatest honour etc..

i was at the birth of my son in May 2008... i wouldnt have done anything else that day and i mean anything else.. it was the most special of days and will only be rivaled by the birth of our 2nd in January i hope.

#39 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 14 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not agree at all.
Most of the good Centres have totally different body types too Second Rowers.
You may have players like Watmough that can run wide during a game and punch holes through smaller defenders but they would soon be found out if they played wide all game.
Look at the best Centres most have tall rangy builds.

Aren't Inglis & Senior built like Second Rowers? I'd definitly agree we shouldn't be playing Second Rows at Centre. I've read that Ellis has played Centre but I'm guessing that would have been when he was a smaller build when younger? As he's too big built to have the speed needed for a Centre & he's too good a Second Row to play out of poition. Even if Macca can't convince Senior to come out of Internantional retirement & weaker Centres is still better than playing a Second Row or an other Back out of position.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#40 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (stumain @ Sep 14 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shenton and Atkins.

How's Shenton's form been this season? As I haven't watched many Cas games as they've been pretty poor as a team in 2010. By the sounds of it there are a fair few calls for Gleeson rather than Shenton in this thread.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users