Match Thread. Featherstone Rovers v London Sunday 9th April 2017

marklaspalmas

Injuries starting to take their toll just at the wrong time for Fev. See Rovers website for details:

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-suffer-triple-injury-setback-wTDwY

We have a squad of 23 players plus have used 7 of Leeds players. That's 30 players in total.

Of the Leeds 7, 2 are fixtures in their 1st team Mullally and Delaney. 2 more are regularly in the 19 Baldy and Walters, 2 more are injured Handley and Ormy, and that leaves Aston.

Of FEv's 23, 2 we haven't seen this year Johnson and Misi. 2 are banned or will be banned Moore and Briscoe. 2 are injured Walton and Mariano. 3 are reported to be coming back from injury Tagg, Knowles and Briggs.

SO including all the players due back, we've got a squad of 17, maybe more of Briscoe's ban starts next week or if Baldy/Walters don't make the Leeds 17.

But SIX of those players are halfbacks/hookers.

Therefore possible line up....

Hardo

Turner

Ulugia

Hardcastle

Duckworth/Briscoe

Thacks

Aston

Bostock

Carlile

Coops

Davies

Knowles*

Tagg*

Subs: Wildie, Griffin, Lockwood, Briggs.

If we're that short of forwards we might see Briscoe at centre with Duckworth on the wing, and Hardcastle among the forwards, probably from the bench? Could depend on the fitness of Knowles and Tagg?

22 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Nearly got the violin out then.........

In all seriousness though the players in line for a ban will not miss this week.

Moore already suspended for a game after toulouse and will probly cop another from Dewsbury, so going to be missing him for a few week. Briscoe is up next week so will be available sunday. Still a capable squad out though.

4 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Moore already suspended for a game after toulouse and will probly cop another from Dewsbury, so going to be missing him for a few week. Briscoe is up next week so will be available sunday. Still a capable squad out though.

Sorry I didn't know. its a fine line with him, we did not have too many discipline problems with him at Fax, apart from him refusing to play, but still a very good player on his day.

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Sorry I didn't know. its a fine line with him, we did not have too many discipline problems with him at Fax, apart from him refusing to play, but still a very good player on his day.

He was class against toulouse, our forwards were getting battered till he come on and quietened them down. Lost his head sunday threw a Dewsbury player out of the way for obstructing ulugia, trying to take quick tap, would have probably got him a yellow .Till crookes tried to hit him from behind and come a cropper. Some how crookes only got a yellow and got away with a tackle round the neck later on. Seems to struggle to bend his back to tackle crookes, cant tackle below the neck.

1 hour ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

He was class against toulouse, our forwards were getting battered till he come on and quietened them down. Lost his head sunday threw a Dewsbury player out of the way for obstructing ulugia, trying to take quick tap, would have probably got him a yellow .Till crookes tried to hit him from behind and come a cropper. Some how crookes only got a yellow and got away with a tackle round the neck later on. Seems to struggle to bend his back to tackle crookes, cant tackle below the neck.

From what you can see on the video Im not sure it was a red but his rep seems to come before him. Loved him at Fax just a pity how it ended.

We may have injuries but they are struggling also especially in the pack

Battye, Spencer, Ackers, channing, grant all out long term 

Garside and Barthau injured last week

Cunningham and Pweregheli (sp?) only came back after months out last week so nowhere near fit 

Besides Channing and Grant - the rest are probably first team regulars plus looking at their forum if Sammut is stopped so is their creativity

Last year we won well with a patched up team at home, i dont think it will be a blowout like that but think we will have too much for them and we will finally get going at home 

fev 32 london 22

1st try Ulugia

Mom Davies

Att 1874

11 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Moore got SoS for the physical stuff but has been charged with foul and abusive language against a match official: Grade C, 2-3 games.

Briscoe up for Grade E (4-8 games)

Sykes up for Grade A (0-1 game) for his disputing a disallowed try

Potts Grade B (1-2 games) for his shoulder charge on Ulugia

Baldwinson & Mikolaj Oledzki both named in our 19 for Sunday. There will be some very long faces in Bradford about Oledzki playing for us and not them, by all accounts he's very promising.

Turner, Tagg, Knowles and Duckworth all back in the 19. Walters recalled by Leeds. Not really sure he brings much our existing backrowers don't.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/loco-energy-19-man-squad-all-change-ahead-of-broncos-clash-gr6gn

Superb effort once again against a pretty average (i thought anyway) London team 

Vital to get those 2 points and go in to the KR game high on confidence

Briscoe is going to be a big miss while he is banned

Thought Misi went well whilst out on 

Davies my MoM - straight out of the NRL the pass for the last try 

London  are a pretty dirty set though.  I know Thackeray tripped one of theirs, but he was duly punished, but tackles below the throat area from London were a rarity.

Having said that when they chose to play a bit of football they were pretty slick. Perhaps they should stick to that.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Sorry Steve, I disagree, Duckworth was a complete waste of space, He is either unfit, carrying an injury or just not interested.

Rest of squad Steve were as you said, so much stronger., 2 soft tries to London, but there was no unset, we just got on with the job. Finally what a joy it was to have a super league ref in charge ,all decisions clearly demonstrated, and no drama

Correct Robin, just before half-time it looked as though he'd had a bang in his ribs, after we scored a try he walked back in position he seemed to be struggling for breath, during the second half the physio went to him a couple of times but gave him the thumbs up even though you could see he was no-more than a passenger, he couldn't go off as we had no replacement backs as it was Knowles filled in when Misi went off. But for all that it doesn't do the player or the team any favours when you've got an injury it makes it appear as though you're not interested.

3 hours ago, haskey said:

Sorry Steve, I disagree, Duckworth was a complete waste of space, He is either unfit, carrying an injury or just not interested.

I think the lad was feeling a bit sorry for himself. Missed the catch that gave them the try just after half time and then helped give away a penalty just after. He looked to me as if he needed someone to give him a lift.

No real stand out players but a very good team performance .Misi did well on his first game back and Davies was as busy as always.Thack's is having a bit more time with Aston giving the opposition another option to think about.Think London went wide too early they may have done better if they had taken our forwards on more down the middle.But i would have taken 7 wins ans 2 losses at this stage of the season.

I thought we played some good football at times today, we really moved the ball well at times. We looked a different side with Bostock on the field taking us forward and was really impressed by the young lad from Leeds who looked better than some of the more established players than we have had this season.

I was disappointed in London they just seemed to want to knock heads off today but we weren't drawn in.

lets look forward to Friday now!!!

I thought our discipline was really good yesterday, we didn't get drawn in to any silly stuff, we didn't seem to panic as we usually do, everyone did well, it was a team effort and that's all we want to see, there were a few mistakes which cost tries and territory, but overall we looked solid and London looked poor, not the side I'd expected to see. All the replacements fitted in well and did their bit, really pleased with the overall performance and a good ref makes a massive difference, not perfect but better than the fellow last week!

Thaler is always composed and by far the best referee in the game. He makes mistakes like all refs do. At the moment we have got a lot of young refs learning their trade and the one last week needs to look at Thalers command of the players from the outset. Refs have got to learn from experience on the field. These young uns will get there eventually.

6 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

Thaler is always composed and by far the best referee in the game. He makes mistakes like all refs do. At the moment we have got a lot of young refs learning their trade and the one last week needs to look at Thalers command of the players from the outset. Refs have got to learn from experience on the field. These young uns will get there eventually.

Unfortunately suffers from inconsistency as per the rest of the officials. This point never appears to be dealt with. I can accept poor decisions providing similar decisions are applied to the opponents, but it is a rare commodity in the sport. 

Archived