Union trying to poach Gigot

13 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Considering top14 is full of non French man I'm not surprised.

Sadly this is true. Gigot is a class act, and as a Union player would be a very good inside centre or ideally a full back and given a season would be a French Union international. He could  double or even triple his wadges.   I hope he stays in RL though, and gets the pay packet he merits off Dracs and leads them to the GF Crown next year or in 2020. Gigot is by far my favourite player in RL!

Id love France to become strong again but until they can match the rich French RU I cant see them retaining players once they become high quality. They just don't have the money to compete. Sadly I doubt France will ever be strong again in RL unless something changes and somehow they acquire a large amount of wealth.  

He has not gone anywhere yet - after all he has been through I wouldn’t be surprised not see him stay - always prefer to be where i am wanted than where the so called premium opportunities are - it can be a lonely non productive place when you dont have your mates to spare off - ask Sam Burgess

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The thing that concerns me is that Catalan has brought in Tomkins who plays full back and it sounds like Matty Smith has signed to. Where does that leave Gigot? If I was him I'd wonder where I fit in. 

Gigot at FB. Tomkins at HB with Smith or Drinkwater.   Tomkins and Gigot can shift on the pitch between them from time to time, although I would see Gigot as the FB for them, with Tomkins doing things from HB. I will say the money would have been prehaps better on Fages, and another NRL forward, but Tomkins if he plays to his best is very good, and Gigot and him could work some great combinations. 

This is always a possibility. The money and profile that Gigot will get if he made a success of a switch to rugby union, is light years above anything that rugby league can currently offer him. The hope is that France can produce enough good players so that rugby union can't possibly poach them all.

That's the difference between France and the likes of Scotland, Wales and Ireland. The latter three countries aren't ever likely to be able to produce enough good players to be able to lose some to rugby union and still have competitive rugby league national teams. France, with their much larger population, can possibly do that. That's why I would throw most of the resources and investment at France, and very little at Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

Anyone who gets enough publicity in French RL will become a some sort of target for French RU. The latter are ambitious and their sugar daddies get bored if a week goes by without making a new purchase. And if the new recruit doesn't settle and marks time warming a bench, at least he's been taken away from those dastardly Treizistes (plus all the headlines that such a move entails).

We've seen it before (Yacine Dekkiche, Greg Kacala, Pascal Bomati and more), but if FFRXIII can build upon the Wembley win, maybe we'll see less of it in the future. And, who knows, maybe a little traffic in the opposite direction.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Poaching a gigot would be a terrible waste. Do it in the oven, or maybe nice and slow in a rich stew.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The delusional sports fan in me would like to see him further repay the Dragons for standing by him during the whole drugs test fiasco but if someone offers you a lot more money to do a new job, you can’t help but have your head turned by it. 

I also sadly fear he’ll go because of the Tomkins and Matty Smith signings as I can’t see how the Dragons would get Tomkins, Gigot and David Mead in the same side tbh. 

I sincerely hope he stays as he’s one of the most exciting players to watch when he’s on his game, he’s also the sort of player you’d want to market the game around.

I'm no fan of Tomkins but firmly believe that he and Gigot have the capacity to evolve a devastating partnership which will be a joy to watch. For this reason alone I sincerely hope Gigot stays - his skill sets would be wasted in the unevolved code.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I wouldn't be surprised if French RU did this just to put RL back in its place after getting above its station, in their eyes anyway, and after finally getting some much deserved plaudits and attention.

Sadly there does appear to be this nasty steak in French union.. 

2 hours ago, CiderWire said:

I'm no fan of Tomkins but firmly believe that he and Gigot have the capacity to evolve a devastating partnership which will be a joy to watch. For this reason alone I sincerely hope Gigot stays - his skill sets would be wasted in the unevolved code.

I aren’t either, but on form and injury free he is very elusive.  

Who will play where is interesting though.  If ST plays at half, from the kick off, attacking forwards will target him and I don’t think defence is his strength.  Based on that I think he will be FB and come in and out of the line, and later in the game up into the halves with Gigot going sideways from SO.  Let’s not forget Gigot is a very good Centre.

That equation that allocates for Drinkwater/Smith to remain at SH.

I doubt Gigot will go anywhere.  The Club have stood by him and he’s hung on to get back playing at Cats.  He could’ve done a bunk when he got banned (if poss as I don’t really know RU’s recruitment policy).

4 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Sadly there does appear to be this nasty steak in French union.. 

I think it is more of a joint than a steak.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Ah, the French RU. Always doing their bit to assist RL in France. It goes way back.

I recall some famous RU international players came from FRL. Jo Maso of the 60s and Philippe Sella the 80s or thereabouts. I'm sure many more too. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived