classic commentaries

remember this classic from ray french???

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

remember this classic from ray french???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

F'hooking brilliant!

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Andy Currier on 101 great tries:

"Where's ee going"? Oh yes - ees in! Andy Currier, local lad from Widnes

TBH I loved Ray French commentary in the 80's. here's a few others off'top o'mi yed

"Just look at this lad go"

"Ees In"

"He cost twennnnnnnnnnnnty thousand pounds from XXX"

"Beats one man, beats two men, Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww an e beats another!, this is gonna be the try of the season"

"And might well those Humberside fans dance with delight"

TBH I loved Ray French commentary in the 80's. here's a few others off'top o'mi yed

"Just look at this lad go"

"Ees In"

"He cost twennnnnnnnnnnnty thousand pounds from XXX"

"Beats one man, beats two men, Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww an e beats another!, this is gonna be the try of the season"

"And might well those Humberside fans dance with delight"

Not forgetting:

"Dear me, why do they carry the ball in one hand. I really do not know, tut tut..."

And, of course, mentioning a try-scorer's father and the amateur club he played for.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

(2.20 mins in) plus the great Mike Gregory try (4.40min).

I'll never forget that game as long as I live.

I got my little lad out of bed in the early hours to watch it. Neither of us had much hope in our hearts and the stadium seemed almost deserted.

we were dancing round the living room by the end of the game. It signalled ther startt of a period when we could almost but not quite take a series from the Australians.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I'll never forget that game as long as I live.

I got my little lad out of bed in the early hours to watch it. Neither of us had much hope in our hearts and the stadium seemed almost deserted.

we were dancing round the living room by the end of the game. It signalled ther startt of a period when we could almost but not quite take a series from the Australians.

Same here. I was off to York Races that day, so while everyone else on the coach at 8am was sleepy & bleary eyed I was buzzing from the win! Didn't stop me spending a couple of hours in a pub in York watching the afternoon replay though. :D

It had been a long time between even a sniff of a win and that game.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Not forgetting:

"Dear me, why do they carry the ball in one hand. I really do not know, tut tut..."

And, of course, mentioning a try-scorer's father and the amateur club he played for.

What a total hypocrite he is then. Nobody carried the ball in one hand as much as our Raymond did in his playing days

Same here. I was off to York Races that day, so while everyone else on the coach at 8am was sleepy & bleary eyed I was buzzing from the win! Didn't stop me spending a couple of hours in a pub in York watching the afternoon replay though. :D

It had been a long time between even a sniff of a win and that game.

Yes it was a great day. I was there the last time we'd beaten them at Odsal in '78.

Kevin Ward really was an awesome forward. Even though he played for Cas (at the time) ;) Mike Gregory, what a player, difficult to believe he's no longer with us. Hanley in his pomp. Offiah and Henderson Gill. Hugh Wadell - some player Hughie.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

There's a great video that appears to have got lost on youtube. It's from 1992 I think where Martin Offiah makes another break but is eventually pushed into touch by ET. The Aussie commentator goes,

'Look at the speed of the man!'

Then says something about how he's never seen a winger as good in his life. Just love the way he says it.

And (apart from the series in 2003 where we lost closely in 3 tests) we've never really been that close.

Reason for me - we had decent 3/4's and half backs that could do more than kick a bomb to the corner.

And (apart from the series in 2003 where we lost closely in 3 tests) we've never really been that close.

Reason for me - we had decent 3/4's and half backs that could do more than kick a bomb to the corner.

We were a heatbeat away in 1990. If the ref had seen Meninga's obstruction of Gibson we'd have won at Old Trafford in 1990 and with it the series.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

There used to be a commnetator on Radio Leeds called Jack Wainwright, and I remember him saying "all these great Leeds moves are coming off John Homes's balls"

Sadly both are no longer with us.

Clement Attlee.

There used to be a double act on Radio Blunderside many years ago called Stan Hall and Peter Ward. Once whilst commentating from Craven Park on a perfectly normal day weatherwise Stan couldn't quite make out who had scored a try for Hull KR. Initially he thought it had been Roger Millward then changed it to Phil Hogan. the eventual tryscorer was actually Clice Sullivan!!! He'd confused a 5 foot 4 back, a 15 stone forward and a black winger.

rldfsignature.jpg

I still think Ray French's best effort was during a Challenge Cup tie at Knowseley Road a couple of years ago.

Leon Pryce had just sidestepped the opposition's full back to score a cracking try.

Ray uttered the immortal words "He can certainly beat a man".

Leon was on trial for assault at the time.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I remember Ray French commentating on the 2nd Ashes Test in 1990 (I think) - As Ettingshausen was being caught he kicked the ball forward prompting Ray to say "Oh why did he do that?". A second or so later as Cliff Lyons picked up the ball and scored a try he said "Well, that's possibly why..." !!!

I miss those old Ashes tours and tests. I loved the Saturday 3pm kick-offs in the autumn.

There used to be a commnetator on Radio Leeds called Jack Wainwright, and I remember him saying "all these great Leeds moves are coming off John Homes's balls"

Sadly both are no longer with us.

Jack Wainwright, a man who could make DDD sound impartial.

Another Wainwright gem prior to an Australian tour game:

"Leeds and the Australians, two of the best teams in the world", Leeds went on to lose by about 40 points.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.