The TV Thread

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Yes, it's been a real eye-opener/ reminder of the power of a tv drama. The basic facts have been in the public domain for over 15 years, there's been extensive newspaper and tv coverage, MPs from both parties campaigning on the issue since 2007/2008 and a proper ongoing public enquiry. But a fictionalised TV account with a famous actor is what it finally took to get the public engaged and the government to act.

You can bet that quite a few of the viewers the series got were people who thought "Oh, Toby Jones is in it! He's good in everything, so let's give it a watch." before being engrossed in the actual story.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Quiz show Jeopardy with Stephen Fry - utter garbage 

It's strange. The format worked brilliantly in America for years (decades?), yet it just doesn't feel right for a UK audience. Perhaps it needs a less 'high-brow' presenter, such as Stephen Mulhearn?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

25 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

It's strange. The format worked brilliantly in America for years (decades?), yet it just doesn't feel right for a UK audience. Perhaps it needs a less 'high-brow' presenter, such as Stephen Mulhearn?

maybe that's why they didn't make it over here in the 1st place - people who worked in tv knew tv and they knew the tv business in those days - not uni plebs just desperate to make another show to see their name on the credits 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

maybe that's why they didn't make it over here in the 1st place - people who worked in tv knew tv and they knew the tv business in those days - not uni plebs just desperate to make another show to see their name on the credits 

I gave the first episode 10 minutes before being bored shitless. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't canned after the first week. Apparently there are noticeable differences between the US version but this new version is a joke in our household.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You can bet that quite a few of the viewers the series got were people who thought "Oh, Toby Jones is in it! He's good in everything, so let's give it a watch." before being engrossed in the actual story.

He really is.

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Quiz show Jeopardy with Stephen Fry - utter garbage 

I quite agree, I watched about half an hour of one episode while I was waiting for something else to come on and was ready to slit my wrists by the end. I watch just about all the quiz shows and I can say with some confidence that this is the worst one I've seen for a long time, if not ever. Stephen Fry is completely wrong for this kind of show. 

Cant believe im writing this but have become totally engrossed with the Traitors on BBC, must be losing the plot as i get older. Also watching the Winter King on itvx, excellent stuff does credit to the books 

just watched the new gladiators - you can tell the BBC have got their hands on it - white guy - black guy - white gay woman - black woman - if bradley walsh gets any more gigs on tv he will be reading the news at 10- i didnt mind the bloke at one time but am totally sick of the sight of him now - it doesnt even suit him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

just watched the new gladiators - you can tell the BBC have got their hands on it - white guy - black guy - white gay woman - black woman - if bradley walsh gets any more gigs on tv he will be reading the news at 10- i didnt mind the bloke at one time but am totally sick of the sight of him now - it doesnt even suit him

Of course, no Black people were allowed on the original. Shadow, Saracen, Nightshade and John Fashanu were all played by Aryans in face-paint.

And quite a few of the others were a peculiar shade of orange.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Of course, no Black people were allowed on the original. Shadow, Saracen, Nightshade and John Fashanu were all played by Aryans in face-paint.

And quite a few of the others were a peculiar shade of orange.

don't be ridiculous

I enjoyed the new Gladiators.  Kept a certain level of cheesiness, a bit of the WWE and looked good.

Not convinced by 2 Walshes mind you.  

And good to see what a diet of Chicken, Broccoli and rice will do for you....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

35 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I enjoyed the new Gladiators.  Kept a certain level of cheesiness, a bit of the WWE and looked good.

The only thing I didn't like about the new Gladiators was Barney Walsh. The nepotism on show for that is insane in my opinion. I honestly had to look up what he had done, and had seen he had been in 20 ish episodes of Casulty and had been in a couple of films as small roles.

What part of that qualifies him for what seems to be the biggest re-launch of a show that BBC have done in quite awhile, you can tell he is inexperienced and a bit wooden in his delivery - I can't necessarily blame him for that, he is inexperienced - But he shouldn't be co-presenting such a big show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Click said:

The only thing I didn't like about the new Gladiators was Barney Walsh. The nepotism on show for that is insane in my opinion. I honestly had to look up what he had done, and had seen he had been in 20 ish episodes of Casulty and had been in a couple of films as small roles.

What part of that qualifies him for what seems to be the biggest re-launch of a show that BBC have done in quite awhile, you can tell he is inexperienced and a bit wooden in his delivery - I can't necessarily blame him for that, he is inexperienced - But he shouldn't be co-presenting such a big show.

I'm not a fan of Bradley Walsh, but I know a few people who enjoy his style. Got to be better than the original show's dirty thug Fashanu.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Click said:

I remember Mrs. Goose watching a series a few years ago with Bradley and Barney Walsh travelling round with Barney basically getting his dad to participate in extreme sports and other activities that took him out of his comfort zone., so I suppose he has got some non-acting TV experience but I don't recall him doing any actual presenting before. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just looked up Barney Walsh to see what TV work he has done and read that since 2022 he has been dating the 2016 Miss World. How the heck has that happened?! 

Confidence and cash, mate, confidence and cash.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Someones had a brainstorm writing the latest episode of Silent Witness .. First Jack suddenly taking up cage fighting  ( as if ) , and casting John Thompson as  a London detective , with possibly the worst accent since Dick Van Dyke .

6 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Someones had a brainstorm writing the latest episode of Silent Witness .. First Jack suddenly taking up cage fighting  ( as if ) , and casting John Thompson as  a London detective , with possibly the worst accent since Dick Van Dyke .

I haven't caught up with this weeks ep but Jacks always been into cage fighting.

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Please tell me there'll be a storyline where Thompson has to go undercover at a jazz club... 🎷

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/01/2024 at 17:11, tonyXIII said:

There isn't a TV show anywhere in the world that needs Stephen Mulhearn.....

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 14/01/2024 at 22:23, Bedford Roughyed said:

I always though Gladiators should be a show that actually recreates the real Gladiators from Roman times , in the colosseum ( Wembley or somewhere ) with proper fights to the death and wild animals and all that jazz . You could even have a public vote to decide if the loser gets killed by the winner like a massive thumbs up or down . It’ll be huge , lots will watch . I may email bbc , quest red , itv 4 , great tv and Al Jazeera to float the suggestion 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I always though Gladiators should be a show that actually recreates the real Gladiators from Roman times , in the colosseum ( Wembley or somewhere ) with proper fights to the death and wild animals and all that jazz . You could even have a public vote to decide if the loser gets killed by the winner like a massive thumbs up or down . It’ll be huge , lots will watch . I may email bbc , quest red , itv 4 , great tv and Al Jazeera to float the suggestion 

I'll certainly be tuning in! 👍 <--- thumbs up! 😉

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

you would of course keep the giant foam hands for the crowd though?