Football

On 28/07/2023 at 07:30, gingerjon said:

First game of 2023/24 last night, at a drizzly Saffrons. A rare midweek women's game under lights saw higher-ranked Eastbourne United AFC win 4-1 over Eastbourne Town. Neither side at full strength but a decent crowd - probably the biggest I've seen at the Saffrons for a women's game (a low bar but interesting to see it reached for a friendly) - saw a decent game.

This weekend, weather permitting (in July!), I'll be at Little Common for the start of the SCFL season proper.

So the Step 5 (Level 9) season gets underway with Little Common coming from behind to beat Shoreham 2-1. 114 people there to see it and all will have been pretty well entertained. FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round next weekend for both teams and they are both (boringly) away to teams in the same division. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I took in Beverley Town v Sheffield Wednesday U21s tonight. This game was scheduled for a couple of weeks ago and was supposed to be a pre season friendly but was delayed and as a result has been played after the NCEL season has already started. 

The 404 in attendance saw a very competitive game that saw the 10th division side dominate large portions of the game and get half a dozen really decent chances on goal. It ended 2-1 to the U21s which I was happy with cos I thought Beverley were gonna get slaughtered.

We've had a strong start to the season and there's a really positive atmosphere around the club at the moment. First home game of the season is next week when we take on Wakefield AFC. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I took in Beverley Town v Sheffield Wednesday U21s tonight. This game was scheduled for a couple of weeks ago and was supposed to be a pre season friendly but was delayed and as a result has been played after the NCEL season has already started. 

The 404 in attendance saw a very competitive game that saw the 10th division side dominate large portions of the game and get half a dozen really decent chances on goal. It ended 2-1 to the U21s which I was happy with cos I thought Beverley were gonna get slaughtered.

We've had a strong start to the season and there's a really positive atmosphere around the club at the moment. First home game of the season is next week when we take on Wakefield AFC. 

It does look again, from  the figures doing the rounds, that crowd numbers at the foot of the pyramid are continuing to do really well relative to a few years ago.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It does look again, from  the figures doing the rounds, that crowd numbers at the foot of the pyramid are continuing to do really well relative to a few years ago.

Crowds really are decent at the lower levels at the moment. I can only go on figures in the league I follow but I can say that the vast majority of teams get about 150 for every game with a few teams getting more like 200-250. Bev Town average about 250. Last season we had a couple of crowds around the 400-450 mark.

I went to a preseason game a few weeks ago at the local leisure centre, held there because our home ground was unavailable due to sharing with a cricket club, and there was over 100 even just at that. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I'm watching Leicester City v Coventry City. Royal blue v sky blue. I chuckle to myself thinking how angry these potential kit clashes cause a particular TRL poster who I shan't name.

Most pundits seem to think the three that came down will go back up. Southampton actually played some lovely stuff, Leicester equalise as I write this, first quality they've shown, and Leeds up next,  and they I expect to struggle.

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I'm watching Leicester City v Coventry City. Royal blue v sky blue. I chuckle to myself thinking how angry these potential kit clashes cause a particular TRL poster who I shan't name.

I would be quite happy with that so called colour clash however tried to watch the Arbroath v Dundee utd game Friday and with my colour blindness had to switch off, Arbroath in maroon utd inexplicably in green both teams in white shorts 

3 hours ago, Route66 said:

I would be quite happy with that so called colour clash however tried to watch the Arbroath v Dundee utd game Friday and with my colour blindness had to switch off, Arbroath in maroon utd inexplicably in green both teams in white shorts 

Wasn't there a thing to try avoid this a few years ago? I'd say summat to someone official, might be worth a shout.

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Wasn't there a thing to try avoid this a few years ago? I'd say summat to someone official, might be worth a shout.

Never met anyone else who admits to being colourblind ,used to be quite embarrassed about it ,now keep questioning the use of coloured lights at work etc. Watched my local football team workington play 1874 northwich a couple of seasons ago and had the same red green problem that day,last year a week before the fixture I messaged 1874 via their forum and low and behold they rocked up in their away yellow kit so all was good. I also play a bit of over 50s walking football the lime green and yellow bibs that sometimes used are indistinguishable 

• Like 1

As soon as Daniel Farke got the Leeds job, followers of impressionist Darren Farley on YT saw this coming.. Willy Gnonto,  Patrick Bum ( Bam)ford ,Koch and Gethard.

On 06/08/2023 at 20:27, Route66 said:

Never met anyone else who admits to being colourblind ,used to be quite embarrassed about it ,now keep questioning the use of coloured lights at work etc. Watched my local football team workington play 1874 northwich a couple of seasons ago and had the same red green problem that day,last year a week before the fixture I messaged 1874 via their forum and low and behold they rocked up in their away yellow kit so all was good. I also play a bit of over 50s walking football the lime green and yellow bibs that sometimes used are indistinguishable 

I'm colourblind and fail some of those dots-in-a-circle tests. However, the most annoying thing is that I can tell  some colours apart ... but often one is not the colour that I think it is. It's mainly problems differentiating between shades of yellow and green and differentiating between shades of blue, green and turquoise.

My friend (in her eighties) insists on coming with me and deciding what wallpaper I'm allowed to buy!

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Spurs are turning down Bayern's £80million offer for Harry Kane. Apparently he can leave for nothing next July. If I was him, I'd refuse to go anyway till his contract is up. He could charge clubs £40million for a 3-year contract and they'd bite his hand off.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

16 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Spurs are turning down Bayern's £80million offer for Harry Kane. Apparently he can leave for nothing next July. If I was him, I'd refuse to go anyway till his contract is up. He could charge clubs £40million for a 3-year contract and they'd bite his hand off.

I'm colour blind too, green and brown. Last week though I was choosing new frames in an opticians and confused light green with pink! 

On Kane, what he really really wants is to win things with Spurs, so he just might stay and see how it pans out and if poorly then in January he can start looking elsewhere.

Levy is playing a dangerous game here, hoping to squeeze Bayern for more, on the other hand if Kane gets them into the CL then it'll probably pay off.

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm colour blind too, green and brown. Last week though I was choosing new frames in an opticians and confused light green with pink! 

Feller I know is green/brown colour blind. I had known him for decades before finding out. He knew that peas were green, and so naturally assumed that peanuts were too.

17 minutes ago, JonM said:

Feller I know is green/brown colour blind. I had known him for decades before finding out. He knew that peas were green, and so naturally assumed that peanuts were too.

They are green ! Aren't they ? s***

Seriously it's all to do with shades. Bright green ie football pitch no problem,  but dark green and brown spells difficulties for me.

Edited by HawkMan

On 05/08/2023 at 15:23, Josef K said:

My footy bets for the 2023/24 season. Talking with mates most of them have said i have wasted cash. We’ll have to wait & see. They are £5 each way bets. 
Ipswich 14/1. 
Blackpool 12/1

Salford City 14/1

Chester 9/1. 

I went for:

Leicester, Bolton, Stockport & Chesterfield 

Did it as an £11 Yankee worth £1500 if all come in with a pay out if at least two come in.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I went for:

Leicester, Bolton, Stockport & Chesterfield 

Did it as an £11 Yankee worth £1500 if all come in with a pay out if at least two come in.

I'm a total ignorant when it comes to betting, no idea at all. But if you'd added Man City to win the Premier wouldn't that give you a better chance of getting something back?

Edited by HawkMan

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I'm a total ignorant when it comes to betting, no idea at all. But if you'd added Man City to win the Premier wouldn't that give you a better chance of getting something back?

A Yankee is basically 11 bets with four selections.

6 doubles (i.e. Leicester & Bolton), 4 trebles (i.e. Leicester, Bolton and Stockport) and 1 four fold (all the selections) where the odds of each selection accumulate.

Yes, I could have had Man City to win the Premier League as an alternate selection, but as you can imagine the odds are extremely short and the potential returns would be much lower.

Low odds-high stake gambling is not for me, so I wouldn’t be interested in raising the stakes to compensate either.

Plus I would have to then hope they win the league which is all part of the experience for me.

It’s just a long shot bet that will give me some added interest in what is happening in the lower division.

The beauty of a Yankee is that the bookies will offer a pay out at various stages of the season depending upon the progress of each team.

Your idea of putting Man City in there to ‘anchor’ the bet is not uncommon, but I guess it all depends what you aim to get out of it.

I’m happy to see it as a low stake high odds flutter for a bit of fun rather than a keen money making exercise.

Observations after the first match of the day .City look as before , Chelsea much improved , Spurs look better than i imagined they would ,Newcastle on fire ,Brighton look good again , Utd yet to play , and Arsenal look as expected still suffering from last years collapse...........oh and Everton...............still Everton .