Football

There is serious beef going on between City of Liverpool FC and Bootle FC but the people who know the truth are being too coy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There is serious beef going on between City of Liverpool FC and Bootle FC but the people who know the truth are being too coy.

Bootle for a while were the senior club in Liverpool and may well have got a place as a Football League founder member had it not been for the rise of Everton who were thought to have more potential.

I know that doesn’t answer your question about dissension in the amateur ranks.

Sorry, just showing off.

23 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Good set of supporters at city of liverpool, playing home games at widnes for now after being evicted over a trivial amount allegedly, this is the second time they have been evicted though they played at the old Vauxhall motors ground the other year, really need a stadium within the city boundaries though 

England have been drawn against Ireland, Finland and Greece in their Nations League group. 

I know they have been relegated but those teams really do seem like a step down from previous Nations League opponents.

I can't remember for the life of me when England last played Finland. The Goose family have some friends in Finland so I might have to go visit them and take the game in while I'm there! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

England have been drawn against Ireland, Finland and Greece in their Nations League group. 

I know they have been relegated but those teams really do seem like a step down from previous Nations League opponents.

I can't remember for the life of me when England last played Finland. The Goose family have some friends in Finland so I might have to go visit them and take the game in while I'm there! 

I've done the research and found that England last played Finland in 2001 so it certainly has been a while. We also last played Ireland in a competitive fixture right back in 1991.

16 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've done the research and found that England last played Finland in 2001 so it certainly has been a while. We also last played Ireland in a competitive fixture right back in 1991.

I think that was in the 2002 World Cup qualifying group, we'd just lost at home to Germany 1-0, Keegan resigned after the match and Howard Wilkinson was put in charge as caretaker manager for the away game in Finland. I think we scraped a 0-0 draw.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Damien said:

Spot on I think:

It is not what has happened in any of the games I've seen with sin bins.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

What professional games have you seen?

The point of the trial is to see how it's played out.

Ange talks like he is unaware of any trial.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The point of the trial is to see how it's played out.

Ange talks like he is unaware of any trial.

I presume by that the answer its none. He is giving his opinion as the manager of a Premier League team on what elite players and teams will do. Other Premier League managers and pundits have spoken out against it too. It may pan out that way, it may not, but its hardly controversial to say that professional football is completely different to grassroots and played differently.

On his wider point I think he is spot on about football going the other way and becoming cluttered and losing its simplicity. Whether it has been var, the ridiculous amounts of stoppage time, breaks in play generally, every team playing the same way and possession football etc I just find Football generally pretty boring these days.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It may pan out that way, it may not, but its hardly controversial to say that professional football is completely different to grassroots and played differently.

They mirror each other a lot more closely than some folk seem to believe.

I'm not a fan of sin bins but, in terms of implementation and impact on the game, I think he is wrong, and that is based on having seen them used.

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They mirror each other a lot more closely than some folk seem to believe.

I'm not a fan of sin bins but, in terms of implementation and impact on the game, I think he is wrong, and that is based on having seen them used.

Did those games have things like var slowing the game down and the other things that Ange alludes to? You keep focusing on one aspect while ignoring his wider point and a sin bin making that situation worse.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Did those games have things like var slowing the game down and the other things that Ange alludes to? You keep focusing on one aspect while ignoring his wider point and a sin bin making that situation worse.

Oddly enough, no they didn't. But then the sin bin didn't slow things down either. It also, by observation rather than stats, seems to cut out a lot of the drag between a decision being given and the free kick/penalty/whatever happening because players know it is high risk to start challenging it.

Matias Soule (20yr old RW Frosinone on loan from Juventus) does look a real prospect.

Being a left footed RW that likes cutting into the hole behind the forwards he’s naturally being compared to Dybala and a very young Messi (Soule holds dual Argentine/Italian citizenship).

I’ve seen him a few times this year as part of TNT’s Serie A coverage and I can understand why he’s been linked with moves to the Premier League.

Obviously at 20 it can go either way in his development, but you get the feeling he needs to be around better teammates before we can see the best of him.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Discuss…

It's the League Cup. So, in the scheme of things, unimportant.

That said, on the terms that it is of minimal importance, it mattered more to Chelsea and Chelsea had the stronger side on the day - and yet Liverpool won and deservedly so.

I offer no conclusion beyond those observations.

If we're talking Football stats... 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson