Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

So York City won today , where does that leave them ? how many games do they need to win to get promotion ?

They are in the final and will play the winner of Fylde v Boston. 

I am not sure or the venue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Any final involving Liverpool has the inevitable backlash over their booing of the national anthem.

Whilst I'm no fan of the national anthem, I find the whole 'scouse not English' thing pretty stupid and full of post-rationalising to try and justify it. In reality, it largely stems from a desire to set themselves apart as different and of course superior to the rest of the country.

After all, if it was all so necessary and true why didn't Everton (who no doubt have a higher proportion of actual scouse fans) boo the anthem in 2009?

It’s freedom of expression I believe.

Quite a big thing in a democracy.

Suggest if it bothers you so much you can always mute the TV.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s freedom of expression I believe.

Quite a big thing in a democracy.

Suggest if it bothers you so much you can always mute the TV.

 

Would you term the booing of opposing nations' anthems as freedom of expression? 

Of course it is, but it doesn't mean it isn't silly either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Would you term the booing of opposing nations' anthems as freedom of expression? 

Of course it is, but it doesn't mean it isn't silly either.

Shouldn’t you be asking why it’s happening?

What has made people from that city feel this way?

Might be worth exploring?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 10:38, Josef K said:

Great win for City. I have just spent the last 20mins taunting my two nephews who went off the rails years back when they became LFC fans from the age of about 11. Now they’re LFC season ticket holders, i don’t know were they went wrong but i have blamed their parents.
But the league is not won yet, there are still pts to play for. 

Josef, could you do me a favour? The next time you see your nephews give them a high five each from me in NZ? Ta.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

About as enjoyable a 0-0 as I think it's possible to have.

Chelsea deserved to lose for wearing yellow.

Being outplayed another, albeit lesser reason.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate, so did I!

I think I read that the goalkeeper Allison has a record of saving 1 in 3 penalties, whereas Mendy has 1 in 18. 

I think this is key in the penalty shootouts. Italy had a goalkeeper with a fantastic penalty save percentage when they won Euro 2022. 

I always look at the keepers before the shootouts- I dont think it matters as much who takes them. 

What do you think will happen with the Premier league now. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think I read that the goalkeeper Allison has a record of saving 1 in 3 penalties, whereas Mendy has 1 in 18. 

I think this is key in the penalty shootouts. Italy had a goalkeeper with a fantastic penalty save percentage when they won Euro 2022. 

I always look at the keepers before the shootouts- I dont think it matters as much who takes them. 

What do you think will happen with the Premier league now. 

 

Yes I agree, Alisson was vital in the penalty shootout, the game generally and has been a big part of Liverpool’s season.

I think Manchester City should win the league from this position as, barring something unlikely goal difference wise from Liverpool, they perhaps only need 3 points.

Liverpool have pushed them and have only lost three games in all competitions so far this season, but I just can’t foresee a situation where  City drop points in both remaining fixtures.

If City do win it then I think all you can say is congratulations to them.  In the meantime Liverpool just have to keep playing their football and keep responding to the support they are getting.

Both teams have been fantastic.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LFC have to concentrate on the Champions League final. Players need to go to that final as fresh as possible. RM have already won their league and are going to be more rested. Liverpool can’t go into the CL final jaded. If Liverpool can win the last league fixtures with a second string side, great but they still need MC to implode, which is highly unlikely.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Niels said:

They are in the final and will play the winner of Fylde v Boston. 

I am not sure or the venue.

If Fylde win city are away , Boston winners City at home

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Josef K said:

Why would people want to do that ?. Was it the local Yoof who thought they were dead hard. If there is any cctv footage id be sending them a bill for the seat they damaged. 

They were stood on the seats jumping up and down which took its toll , south stand should be standing but not able to change it for a decade due to a clause in one of the funding packages.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RayCee said:

LFC have to concentrate on the Champions League final. Players need to go to that final as fresh as possible. RM have already won their league and are going to be more rested. Liverpool can’t go into the CL final jaded. If Liverpool can win the last league fixtures with a second string side, great but they still need MC to implode, which is highly unlikely.

I think it will all depend on today if city beat West Ham then Liverpool will put out a virtual reserve side for the last two league games. If somehow West Ham get a result then that makes it a tough decision for Klopp. Especially with the players that are likely to be rested (Fabinho Salah Van Dyke Henderson Robertson) no matter what because of injuries/fatigue. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

Josef, could you do me a favour? The next time you see your nephews give them a high five each from me in NZ? Ta.

They didn’t watch it as they was at one of their mates wedding. I couldn’t tell them what the match was like because i didn’t watch it, but i told them to “enjoy their fifteen minutes of mantra-filled Oompah”. I’ll let you RayCee do the high-fiving next time they’re in NZ. But don’t go anywhere near a service station with them though. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Josef K said:

They didn’t watch it as they was at one of their mates wedding. I couldn’t tell them what the match was like because i didn’t watch it, but i told them to “enjoy their fifteen minutes of mantra-filled Oompah”. I’ll let you RayCee do the high-fiving next time they’re in NZ. But don’t go anywhere near a service station with them though. 

I don't know if yourself or the nephews would be interested in highlights of this FA Cup final or other matches but this is where I go. I appreciate you may not watch the cup but type Manchester City in the search box if you miss one of their games:

https://highlightsfootball.net/?s=liverpool

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 00:02, RayCee said:

Putting on my nerd cap, over the past few seasons the dreaded second season syndrome hit Huddersfield (18-19), Sheffield (20-21) and looking like Leeds this year. I went back to the 16-17 season so it's happened twice, now maybe three times over that period. 

The first year return has been more of a problem. In 16-17 two sides went straight back down, 17-18 none, 18-19 two, 19-20 one, 20-21 two and 21-22 two more. Add the second year teams its quite striking. 

Considering the issue in RL with sides going straight back down, a one year exemption has merit in RL because it's only one side going down. With three relegated from the PL, it wouldn't be acceptable. 

>pedant mode<

Sheffield have never played in the Premier League, or indeed in any professional league, however, both Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday have both played in the Premier League, Wednesday being one of the founder members.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 19:39, Josef K said:

It looks dreadful but the big clubs are happy about it. It’s the Conference league and the UEFA cup (or whatever it’s called) that fan’s are not keen on. 

From talking to other fans around the UK and Europe I can say that that is definitely not the case, if by fans you mean the "fans" of the big, monied, global conglomerate clubs like Abu Dhabi all-stars, Boston Billionaires , Roubles R us etc then maybe, but they are the people who are brainwashed by the money.

Fans of clubs who won't necessarily win their league's are more than happy to be playing in the so called lesser of the European cups, I suspect many Frankfurt, Rangers, Leicester, West Ham, and Union Berlin fans are certainly very keen on the other competitions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 19:54, Gerrumonside ref said:

Tends to separate the wheat from the chaff, whereas the older format allowed ‘powerhouses’ like Malmo to reach the final.

 

Why shouldn't they though? they've earned the right on the field, not through the banks.

That's what used to make the competition interesting, now it's a case of which 2 of Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and PSG will contest the final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/05/2022 at 13:59, gingerjon said:

The annual 'non league clubs put out terse statements that fall just shy of calling the FA bent' time has arrived.

It's Step 3-6 allocation time.

Yep, some teeth gnashing going on over some of the step 5/6 leagues, well, certain clubs in particular has raised eyebrows 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meast said:

Yep, some teeth gnashing going on over some of the step 5/6 leagues, well, certain clubs in particular has raised eyebrows 

If you know anything at all about this FC Humber United thing then I'd love to hear it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/05/2022 at 17:52, Josef K said:

I remember when i was at school the FA Cup final used to be huge, from the buildup in the morning on children’s TV right through to KO. It’ll be exciting for both sets of fans making their way to Wembley but im  more looking forward to watching the Sheff Utd vs Forest, Mansfield vs Northampton in the play offs. Then hear how York City go on against Brackley. 

The FA Cup final is now just a sideshow game, just another game between the greedy monied clubs and their fans.

It's now shunted to a Saturday tea time slot before the league season is finished and holds very little interest for most fans outside of the TV show clubs' fans.

I could list most of the cup finals and scorers etc growing up until 10-15 years ago, I wasn't alone.

Cup final day was THE day, the big day for every football fan and non fans all over the country, we all know the history of it, the build up, the whole day taken up by it, that part of people's lives has gone now.

I can't remember the last time I watched the FA Cup final or tell you who has won the last 10-15.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, meast said:

The FA Cup final is now just a sideshow game, just another game between the greedy monied clubs and their fans.

It's now shunted to a Saturday tea time slot before the league season is finished and holds very little interest for most fans outside of the TV show clubs' fans.

I could list most of the cup finals and scorers etc growing up until 10-15 years ago, I wasn't alone.

Cup final day was THE day, the big day for every football fan and non fans all over the country, we all know the history of it, the build up, the whole day taken up by it, that part of people's lives has gone now.

I can't remember the last time I watched the FA Cup final or tell you who has won the last 10-15.

What an excessively negative summary that is. I thought the game was a cracker and a decent 85,000 in attendance. It may have slipped in some people 's opinion but it still has plenty of support, a place in the game and will continue to do so. 

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you know anything at all about this FC Humber United thing then I'd love to hear it.

They were formed as AFC Rovers and played in local leagues until 2016 when they were taken over by former North Ferriby Utd owner Jamie Waltham, he bought the ground at Dunswell Park, kicked out Hall Road Rangers and renamed the club East Yorkshire Carnegie, they won the Humber Premier League and were promoted to the NCEL D1.

They finished 18/22 one place above the relegation places.

They then changed their name again, this time to East Hull in 2019 and finished bottom of the pile but were reprieved from relegation due to the abandonment of the season.

They changed their name again in 2021 to FC Humber United, and finished 18/20 and again, were reprieved of relegation, they then found themselves homeless and ended up playing 45 miles away in Selby.

After being reprieved from relegation again, they have just announced another move and another name change, this time, they've move 70 miles to Doncaster, "merged/taken over/moved operations(to)" Askern Miners, renamed themselves Askern Miners and have taken FC Humber United's place in the NCEL D1 despite Askern Miners finishing 2nd from bottom of their step 7 league.

So basically, none of the team from the CMFL got promoted to the NCEL, but Askern who finished 2nd from bottom in effect have been, They've had 5 name changes and 4 moves in 7 years, it's a complete farce and an absolute shambles of a club.

Hope that's explained it a bit?

 

Edited by meast
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

What an excessively negative summary that is. I thought the game was a cracker and a decent 85,000 in attendance. It may have slipped in some people 's opinion but it still has plenty of support, a place in the game and will continue to do so. 

That's your opinion, I find constantly tapping the ball around your own half absolutely dreadful.

It will have support as those clubs have billions of supporters worldwide, to the general football fan in the UK it's nothing more than a TV show for those billions around the world, as is the PL and "champions" league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, meast said:

They were formed as AFC Rovers and played in local leagues until 2016 when they were taken over by former North Ferriby Utd owner Jamie Waltham, he bought the ground at Dunswell Park, kicked out Hall Road Rangers and renamed the club East Yorkshire Carnegie, they won the Humber Premier League and were promoted to the NCEL D1.

They finished 18/22 one place above the relegation places.

They then changed their name again, this time to East Hull in 2019 and finished bottom of the pile but were reprieved from relegation due to the abandonment of the season.

They changed their name again in 2021 to FC Humber United, and finished 18/20 and again, were reprieved of relegation, they then found themselves homeless and ended up playing 45 miles away in Selby.

After being reprieved from relegation again, they have just announced another move and another name change, this time, they've move 70 miles to Doncaster, "merged/taken over/moved operations(to)" Askern Miners, renamed themselves Askern Miners and have taken FC Humber United's place in the NCEL D1 despite Askern Miners finishing 2nd from bottom of their step 7 league.

So basically, none of the team from the CMFL got promoted to the NCEL, but Askern who finished 2nd from bottom in effect have been, it's a complete farce and an absolute shambles of a club.

Hope that's explained it a bit?

 

Added to that, Staveley MW spent loads on their ground, so they could boast they had the best ground in the NCEL, which, to be fair, they probably do, they possibly thought they had a squad capable of competing for promotion to the NPLE but when their manager and some of their better players left, they struggled for results and were floundering in mid table.

They then requested voluntary relegation as their chairman bemoaned the fact that they couldn't compete financially and had no money to bring decent standard of player in, conveniently forgetting that they'd spent a lot on their facilities.

The league pandered to their whim, so basically, rather than battling away and doing their best with the players they do have available (they run a reserves and academy sides) like Athersley, they just gave up and got the league to bail them out to avoid struggling on the field, which hasn't gone down well with fans of other clubs.

They've also promoted Horbury Town and Beverley Town despite them having very basic facilites but denying clubs like Retford and Thorne who have got some good facilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...