Football

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Second one was blatant ,first one was 50/50 but poor defending 

Thanks. Yes the defending was poor. 

It was a tremendous second half from Burnley. It brings Leeds back into the equation also.

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If Everton do go down, will it be the most surprising relegation since Forest’s ‘too good to go down’ season?

I think they’re going down they’re shot to pieces .  They’ve got some complete rubbish - most of the defenders - and a few good players not producing . They  bought Mykolenko and sold Lucas Digne , then sacked the manager who pushed that ,  which just about sums up how badly the club has been run 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think they’re going down they’re shot to pieces .  They’ve got some complete rubbish - most of the defenders - and a few good players not producing . They  bought Mykolenko and sold Lucas Digne , then sacked the manager who pushed that ,  which just about sums up how badly the club has been run 

It’s going to be a rollercoaster from this point on in every respect.

There’s always a few strange results.

Personally, I still think Everton will win enough home games despite the tough looking fixtures.

Never before have I cheered so loudly at a Burnley win, if only so impressionist Darren Farley can produce another Agent Rafa video. 🤣

There's a whole YouTube following urging Everton down.

48,000 views for above vid in just 13hrs

Now we know why Everton lost, Sean Dyche masterplan works again. 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Never before have I cheered so loudly at a Burnley win, if only so impressionist Darren Farley can produce another Agent Rafa video. 🤣

There's a whole YouTube following urging Everton down.

48,000 views for above vid in just 13hrs

Now we know why Everton lost, Sean Dyche masterplan works again. 

I am enjoying how agent Rafa has been able to live on.

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Agreed. The Digne transfer epitomises how badly things have been managed at the Club.

Logically, given the Toffees have a unilateral break clause they can exercise, Lampard will not be Everton manager next season. 

21 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Sodding hell! Man U had just one bloody thing to do! Norwich are liable to put 5 past Burnley now! 

Its a difficult one, I want Lampard to get relegated, but I also love seeing Man U embarrassingly lose a game they assumed they would win 😂

New ground for me yesterday. Welling United's Park View Road.

An interesting one as it is very definitely their ground but Erith & Belvedere have been playing there since 1999.

And, as such, the ground appears to have two halves. On one side, it says Welling United, has a Welling United clubhouse and the turnstiles are red.

On the other: the turnstiles are blue, it says welcome to the Home of the Deres, and there appears to be a smaller clubhouse for Erith fans.

I don't think I've ever seen that on a groundshare before.

Anyway, a good game that Hastings Women drew 1-1, which effectively ends their title (and sole promotion opportunity) chances. Decent, noisy crowd too. All sitting on the Welling side.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

**** sake! 

(alright it wasn't 5 but even so!) 

Good weekend for Everton.

They won.
Watford and Burnley lost.
Liverpool didn't win.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I see Burnley have sacked Sean Dyche. Seems like a decision based entirely on the hope that a new manager might produce a brief upturn in form for the next 8 games. It might pay off, as sometimes managerial changes lead to a short run of improved form before things return to normal. Hard to see long term how a manager could do more at Burnley than Dyche when the board don't give the manager much money to work with by Premier League standards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I see Burnley have sacked Sean Dyche. Seems like a decision based entirely on the hope that a new manager might produce a brief upturn in form for the next 8 games. It might pay off, as sometimes managerial changes lead to a short run of improved form before things return to normal. Hard to see long term how a manager could do more at Burnley than Dyche when the board don't give the manager much money to work with by Premier League standards.

Madness , with the squad Burnley have got , they are only set up to play one way , so if Dyche can't get them out of it , then nobody can .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

Utter madness.

They sold their best striker in January to what at the time was a direct rival and have stayed within touching distance of survival.

I tweeted it, which may be cursed, but Leeds are safe, Burnley are down with this now.

That’s rough . He hasn’t exactly got the tools to do that much with , and no doubt those sacking him sanctioned selling Chris Wood , a very good player , to Newcastle . And this is a guy who’s done wonders there on a relative pittance . Saying all that I hope they don’t get a new manager bounce 

Dyche is a legend in Chesterfield. Came to the 25th anniversary dinner of the 1997 FA Cup Semi Final(s) this week. I've not seen anything on the internet which agrees with this decsion, but I guess time will tell. When you, the board, agree to sell your main striker to a rival relegation candidate then perhaps the mirror is the best place to look for a scapegoat. 

Meanwhile on the anniversary of Hillsborough, here's a very simple but powerful poem by my mate and Leeds-based poet Joe Williams.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

In the only match that counted today, the MIGHTY BLACK AND GREENS of Aberystwyth Town journeyed to the cursed vale and beat Barry Town 1-0.

This means Barry cannot now catch Aber and so are relegated. Aber survive and will now play their 31st consecutive season in the Welsh top tier.

Not bad for a small town on the coast.

Plus, and I'm not sure if I mentioned this clearly enough, we relegated Barry Town.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Went along to watch Workington afc play on bank holiday Monday in the northern premier league- west division, I think it is classed as 8th tier and to be honest the game wasn't pretty, although 2 great direct free kicks won the day,crowd over 1300 on a day when the NPL had 10 attendances over 1000,anyway barring an unlikely slip up next Saturday from warrington rylands, the reds will be at home in the play offs against any one of Marine,leek town or runcorn linnets 

• Like 2

Gary Neville slams " broken" Man Utd. I saw the game, it was the worst United performance I've ever seen. Sympathy for Ten Haag if he takes job, he really shouldn't bother, his reputation will be damaged unless the Glazers do a Volte Face and invest in a whole new team.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 22:06, Route66 said:

Went along to watch Workington afc play on bank holiday Monday in the northern premier league- west division, I think it is classed as 8th tier and to be honest the game wasn't pretty, although 2 great direct free kicks won the day,crowd over 1300 on a day when the NPL had 10 attendances over 1000,anyway barring an unlikely slip up next Saturday from warrington rylands, the reds will be at home in the play offs against any one of Marine,leek town or runcorn linnets 

The non-league game is very strong in Warrington at the mo, i think Rylands have done really well. Widnes are doing well with the gates they get. Cables have got a battle to stay up but they had a excellent turnout for the derby match against Marine. I wonder if the FAC run Marine had last season(was it in 2020/21) has helped them financially to get players in. They are the only side currently in the NPL 1 West averaging over 1,100, but Workington crowds are up around 80% on last year. Wasnt there talk a few years back “Route 66” about the RL & Football clubs sharing a new stadium in Workington ?. 

• Like 1