20 Feb: WCS: Warrington Wolves v St George Illawarra Dragons KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • St George Illawarra Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • St George Illawarra Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • St George Illawarra Dragons by 13 points or more

Considering it was a 'glorified friendly' I don't half feel fed up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13k attendance apparently

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Good game to watch with the winner probably the right one. Aside from the ridiculous high tackles, the game breaker for me was at 12-12 when Wire were on the front foot and Ryan Atkins tried a no-look offload on the 2nd/3rd tackle that lost all momentum. They scored a minute or so later. 

The conditions are obviously in British clubs favour but probably not as much as many would like to make out. St George had played in the charity shield and Wire have only played 2 games, one of which was a relatively comfortable win. 

As for St George being 11th, it doesn't really tell us that much IMO. They actually only won 4 games less than eventual winners South Sydney. Also, teams often fluctuate in position much more than they do over here. They've had an off-season with Benji and Widdop in the halves rather than coming in mid-season. We might not know until the end of the season how good they actually are this year. Unlike them Wire finished 5th but will very probably be higher this year. To put it in perspective, in 1997 our champions played the 11th finishing team in round 1 at home and lost 42-12. The team that became champions that year lost at home 20-16 to a team that came 15th the year before. 

That said, I think you'd be a brave person to bet against a 3-0 for the NRL this weekend. There is something more clinical about their whole play, they just don't make the mistakes we do. 

Good game to watch with the winner probably the right one. Aside from the ridiculous high tackles, the game breaker for me was at 12-12 when Wire were on the front foot and Ryan Atkins tried a no-look offload on the 2nd/3rd tackle that lost all momentum. They scored a minute or so later.

The conditions are obviously in British clubs favour but probably not as much as many would like to make out. St George had played in the charity shield and Wire have only played 2 games, one of which was a relatively comfortable win.

As for St George being 11th, it doesn't really tell us that much IMO. They actually only won 4 games less than eventual winners South Sydney. Also, teams often fluctuate in position much more than they do over here. They've had an off-season with Benji and Widdop in the halves rather than coming in mid-season. We might not know until the end of the season how good they actually are this year. Unlike them Wire finished 5th but will very probably be higher this year. To put it in perspective, in 1997 our champions played the 11th finishing team in round 1 at home and lost 42-12. The team that became champions that year lost at home 20-16 to a team that came 15th the year before.

That said, I think you'd be a brave person to bet against a 3-0 for the NRL this weekend. There is something more clinical about their whole play, they just don't make the mistakes we do.

Can't argue with any of that, good post.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Well time will tell won't it. I maintain that we, meaning British RL, have a lot to be positive about tonight.

Many positives indeed. But the game summed up the difference between often SL and the NRL- even if the Dragons are one of the worst teams in the NRL. Its the little things that the Aussies do well. They soak up the pressure and the defence is often very tough to break down. But then when the chance comes they usually make it pay. Warrington failed in the second half to really test the Dragons line for a period of time and failed to put kicks in which either put pressure on the defence or give the attackers much chance to score. Marshall put in some good kicks which had Wire in trouble. But it was a good close game and theres many positives to come out of such games. Good to see 13K turn up and shows such events are something people are interested in and needs to happen more in the future. 

St George were the better side and deserved the win. The reffing was very much in Warringtons favour. I don't think either high tackle was a red card, I think the first was off the shoulder and a yellow at most. For all people think St George got away with, Warrington did just as much, maybe even more.

Good lord....make an effort at impartiality

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

NBA legend Charles Barkley

In the NRL a team can finish 11th in one season and win the comp in the next. 

Everybody knows as well that they have greater strength in depth. Anybody making out that this is some sort of a revelation is just trying to do our game down. 

Before the game, I suspected that our best clubs would compete but be in the bottom half of the NRL and I see no reason to think differently after tonight. 

Many positives indeed. But the game summed up the difference between often SL and the NRL- even if the Dragons are one of the worst teams in the NRL. Its the little things that the Aussies do well. They soak up the pressure and the defence is often very tough to break down. But then when the chance comes they usually make it pay. Warrington failed in the second half to really test the Dragons line for a period of time and failed to put kicks in which either put pressure on the defence or give the attackers much chance to score. Marshall put in some good kicks which had Wire in trouble. But it was a good close game and theres many positives to come out of such games. Good to see 13K turn up and shows such events are something people are interested in and needs to happen more in the future. 

I think that's fair. STGI's defence did look very solid and confident over the last 15 minutes even though they only had a narrow lead.

Good effort from Wolves in a good tough game, Few second half errors cost them but not really that much between the sides, If Monaghan takes that ball in they are all square, The biggest difference for me was the kicking game. Won't say anything about the Ref because I know how hard a job it is.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Good effort from Wolves in a good tough game, Few second half errors cost them but not really that much between the sides, If Monaghan takes that ball in they are all square, The biggest difference for me was the kicking game. Won't say anything about the Ref because I know how hard a job it is.

I know how hard a job it is too but to not give a yellow for that first tackle was just utterly spineless. There was nothing remotely ambiguous about it. 

I enjoyed the game but after seeing it I'd be reluctant to see the format changed or made a top 3 vs top 3. I don't think we quite have the standard to justify it. 

Very good game, really enjoyed it

As everybody is going on about him, first the ref.  I thought he was ok.  I liked the fact he let the teams get stuck into each other in the first half and didn't blow every few minutes, it was a proper physical game of rugby

Neither high tackle warranted any more than a penalty.  The first one had the initial contact off the shoulder and looked spectacular but was only a penalty.  The second was higher but again I thought a penalty was sufficient

The best side won I think but Wire will be wondering why.  If they had any kind of composer in the 3rd quarter it would have been a different score line. I thought they were the better side at the end of the first half and expected them to go on in the second and win

Two evenly matched teams.  I don't buy into this argument that St George were underdone.  With the modern fitness regimes and contact sessions no player starts a season unfit.  What exactly are they going to do in the next two weeks to be significantly better

Look back 15 years and the SL was miles behind the NRL.  This is not the case now and I expect another couple of great games to come

And lastly... thanks to both teams, a proper tough and skilful game of rugby.  I'm just glad they didn't think it was just a friendly like a few on here did

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I know how hard a job it is too but to not give a yellow for that first tackle was just utterly spineless. There was nothing remotely ambiguous about it.

There obviously is some ambiguity - it was one of the easiest red cards I've ever seen.

Didn't think there was a lot in Marshall's one. He changed his body position to ride the tackle and minimise the impact. Penalty suff.

People called Romans they go the house

There obviously is some ambiguity - it was one of the easiest red cards I've ever seen.

Didn't think there was a lot in Marshall's one. He changed his body position to ride the tackle and minimise the impact. Penalty suff.

Agreed! it was a stone wall red card and I bet fans of most teams can recall a decision where they have had a player red carded (without hesitation by a British based referee) for less than that

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

NBA legend Charles Barkley

I enjoyed the game but after seeing it I'd be reluctant to see the format changed or made a top 3 vs top 3. I don't think we quite have the standard to justify it.

Spineless! Mr Thaler, surely not, He is one of our top Ref's.

just think if they'd sent over the true 2nd and 3rd teams

I fear for Saints

Wigan should be ok as Brisbane aint much better than SGI

I fear for Saints as well, Dare I ask who the Ref is. Bring back Ganson for this one I say, We have a fair chance of seeing someone sent off then, Could be a touch judge , or even a spectator, depends who he is tracking at the time, and I miss his dulcet tones, MOOOOVE

I fear for Saints

I fear for Saints

Have you seen Wigan this season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Yes

And their still better than Brisbane last season

Plus they've only brought 18,a couple of pulls hamstrings/groins in the warm-up and Wayne Bennetts getting a game

Bennett, the best con man in RL, psychologically on another planet to the rest of RL.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived