Who is/was better?

Attacking close to the try line, Cunningham's immense strength and explosive drive would put him ahead. 

Mobility and pace, Roby shades it.

Passing - both really good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Robys stats and work rate are massive but if you want a player to win you a big game I'd go for Cunningham. People also forget that in his early to mid 20s Cunningham not only had power but was incredibly quick too. Defensively Robys work is ridiculous but in big games Cunningham made a point of targeting the oppositions big meter maker very often nullifying them.

I'm afraid I only caught the very end of Cunningham's career, so I am not really in a position to comment.  Having said that, I will now comment!

Roby is a fantastic player, brilliant game management, awesome at scooting and with astounding defence and work rate.  I can't properly compare the two players, or the two eras, though I think that maybe Roby has to take more responsibility due to a team lacking in the superstars that Cunningham played with.

At his very best Cunningham was the best hooker I have seen play the game.  Cameron Smith is a wonderful player and leader but Cunningham was almost unplayable at times.

Roby is superb and I hope he has a fantastic series against the Kiwi's to get the recognition he deserves from the Southern Hemisphere.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Both great players. Roby's work rate is incredible, and he doesn't catch a cold every international season which rules him out of the series like Cunningham used to.

Having said that, if your team is leading by 2 points in the last five minutes, I would rather see the ball in Roby's hands than in Cunningham's. He could always just make something happen.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Cunningham could take on the opposition alone. Many a time he's made a decisive if short break from his own 30 m line and bring 4 tacklers around him, quick play the ball and the game opens up. And from 20 yards out he attracted a disproportionate amount of attention which also led to opportunity either for himself or others. Never been a fan of the erect a statue to King Cunningham brigade but he was a presence on the pitch even when just passing from dummy half.

If the test is which caused me more concern when playing against them, Cunningham for mine by a long way, as he had a wider range of ways to hurt you. And he had an aura of invincibility.

Roby though puts his hand up for England and has never failed a drugs test.

Difficult to say who's better, but I guess it's easy to say which you prefer and why.  I like my hookers to be distributors and game controllers first, runners second.  Cunningham was not the greatest passer out of dummy half but his running was fantastic.  Roby isn't a million miles away from him on the running, but a superior passer of the ball.

So in answer to the OT.  Yes, Roby for me.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

roby is the complete player and for me the best english hooker i have seen in over 50 years of watchng the game

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Archived