State of Origin as International

How do you think this would work? Instead of Australia competing in international competitions, why not split it between New South Wales, Queensland & other states?

Bear with me on this. These states would definitely be eligible, as Scotland, Wales & England play instead of the UK. State governments in Australia also have similar powers to their devolved counterparts in the UK.

It would allow international RL to claim State of Origin as its own, if not from a financial point of view then definitely from a promotional one.

Australia could still compete, as Tours & alternative competitions could be created that see the states combine to form the Oz side, and play against the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, NI), EU (France, Italy, South Ireland) or Polynesia (New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga).

This would increase Australian interest in the international game, as the passion from Origin can be transferred to end of season World Cups and the like. International tournaments also become more competitive with 4 equally world-class sides.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia aren't the current World Champions

Er, yes they are.

The Murdoch lot tried to turn their version of Origin into a three-way series by including NZ, but that whole era didn't last long enough to see if it would have been a success with the Australian public.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia would never agree as it reduces their chances of winning.

They will NEVER EVER do anything to reduce their chances of winning.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Why would you want to change the pinnacle of our game?

State of Origin should be embraced for what it is and not be tampered with. Australia has worked hard to get it to where it is and don't need people from half way across the world to mess with it.

It is after all,the pinnacle of rugby league!

Australia are the current world cup champions but they are not the number one ranked nation in the world. So who is world champions? the team who won the last world cup or the team that is ranked number one? Depends on who you ask I guess.

James Graham, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess, George Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Ryan Hall.

You could arguably add the Burgess brothers and Graham. The other 2 haven't proven themselves in the premier rl club competition. All good and well that they perform in the super league but as we all know, the NRL is much more superior and tougher. They'll just be average players in the NRL. It's like a Championship football player claiming to be the best football player because he dominates in the competition.

You could arguably add the Burgess brothers and Graham. The other 2 haven't proven themselves in the premier rl club competition. All good and well that they perform in the super league but as we all know, the NRL is much more superior and tougher. They'll just be average players in the NRL. It's like a Championship football player claiming to be the best football player because he dominates in the competition.

Remind me what club does Josh Hodgson play for?

Hodgson is going well in the NRL.  

Australia are the current world cup champions but they are not the number one ranked nation in the world. So who is world champions? the team who won the last world cup or the team that is ranked number one? Depends on who you ask I guess.

I've never met anyone that has called the number one ranked side "World Champions". They're not champions until they've won the trophy!
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Are you intentionally trying to look like stupid or is that just accidental?
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

We get this every so often. Only players who play/have played in the NRL are allowed to be world class. BS.

Exactly. It's complete nonsense.

Take Josh Hodgson and James Roby as an example. Hodgson was a good player in Super League and he is performing just as well (if not better) in the NRL and yet Roby has proved himself to be the best 9 in SL year in year out. It is clear to anybody that he would smash the NRL but because he decides not to play over there we can't count him in the top 30 in the world!!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived