Sky, second rate

Bearman

always watch the games in the pub so don t hear a lot of the commentary , but are our commentators any worse than football/rugby union ? don t think so  , the rare times i have watched ru they just jabber away  , and don t even bother to try and explain the rules of the game or why these never ending penalties are given nearly every 30 seconds .in football most games are as dull as the commentries , they then say a team has had 28 shots during the game , when you and i know the goal keeper hasn t made a single save worthy of the name .lets face it you watch the game for the game not for what the commentators say about it .t

Alan Green from Radio 5's Football coverage would be perfect for certain RL fans, as he just moans about every possible thing all the time.:rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd like to see Carney moved away from a presenter role. It's not that difficult to come across a competent presenter. Carney is probably Sky's best commentator and pundit, and should stick to that role.

Phil Clarke was good when he started on Sky, but has been dragged down over recent years. Jon Wells' role is good too. Sky made big mistakes in getting rid of John Kear and Tony Rea, who were 2 great pundits.

There's also no need for 5 people in the commentary box. One commentator and one co-commentator (two at a push) is sufficient. It's been better recently when Sky have started using a separate studio and commentary team.

As for Barrie, Terry and Stuart Cummings. Don't think there's much need for them, they don't add a great deal.

fair enough, my view is that the bbc coverage with Ray French was far worse. All i learnt from Ray was which amateur club they played for and their dad's name when he messed up and called them that!!!

As has been pointed out, the touchscreen stuff is better than anything they have had for years, but i do understand and share your frustrations.

Ray French was definitely worse, even to the untrained ear that man was terrible at commentating. I would love to know the figures of potential new fans he put off the game.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

If you think Stevo's bad (which I do), then Ray er French of Radio er Merseyside was even worse. What an appalling commentary of Salford v Widnes last Sunday that was. He didn't know who the players were, and it is still Salford er City er Reds.

has always been the same even on TV, often calling different teams etc

Think Phil Clarke had initially something to offer but for some reason SKY seemed to think we wanted to be bored s******* by a steady stream of constant statistics which add little to the game and are confusing at best.

The thing I find most telling is the difference between TV pundits in Aus and over here, Joey, Freddie, Sterlo, Gus and Co call moves 10 minutes before they happen and then refer back and explain what we have just seen.

We saw the difference when Paul Voss commentated over here during world cup.

Our guys, call them 10  minutes after the event then argue about what actually happened!

Eddie is clueless, poor old Stevo thinks the hooker is best player on the field every week and his idea of tactics is to rely on scoots from Dummy half then put over a 1 pointer (even when 20 odd in front as Cowboys were!)

Terry is quite funny at times but struggles to make his point verbally, I actually like Barry Mc but only when Stevo is not around as then he doesn't feel the need to argue with him all the time (as apparently does Phil).

As pundits, Tony Rae and Paul Cullen were head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

Sky have the kit

BBC have the ability

One thing is always noticeable about nrl (and ANY other sporting commentary than sky rl) is that any controversial call is talked about only until the next play - after that it's done and game moves on

One thing is always noticeable about nrl (and ANY other sporting commentary than sky rl) is that any controversial call is talked about only until the next play - after that it's done and game moves on

Yes, I noticed that and I think it's very important. RL is fast moving. It's simply not accept for Eddie (chief culprit) to harp back to "controversial" incidents from minutes ago.

Yes, I noticed that and I think it's very important. RL is fast moving. It's simply not accept for Eddie (chief culprit) to harp back to "controversial" incidents from minutes ago.

i must admit i find the aussies terrible. They often ignore talking points so they can call each other by their nicknames and engage in bants.

When Eddie is actually focusing on commentating on the game he can be good but when he starts going on about something that happened 10 minutes ago he is like a dog with a bone and gets very tedious very quickly.

Stevo should have retired long before now. It is the same old sayings week after week and if he had his way the game would be nothing more than chips over the top and 1 pointer attempts. There would be more kicking than in Union!

Barrie and Terry are good when doing Catalan games and do know what they are talking about. They would also be suited to a Soccer AM\Footy Show type programme, something that I have felt has been missing from Skys coverage but probably won't happen now as it would get in the way of the 10th repeat of Feyenoords most recent game.

Phil Clarke can be good but there are times when he waffling on about stats when i end up tuning out.

Jon Wells and Brian Carney, like others on this thread have mentioned, are the best of the group. Jons half time and full time segments are great and I think that it would be fantastic if there was a weekly show like this. Carney will end up becoming the main presenter and I don't think that it does any harm that Carney is from a country that isnt usually associated with Rugby League.

When Eddie is actually focusing on commentating on the game he can be good but when he starts going on about something that happened 10 minutes ago he is like a dog with a bone and gets very tedious very quickly.

Stevo should have retired long before now. It is the same old sayings week after week.

Both of them should have gone years ago. They haven't changed their style since day one and rugby league has changed a lot, more so since Super League arrived. Steve and Eddie have this up and under, brash style that in my opinion is only attractive to elderly men (no offence to be caused), however if I was new to the sport of league I would switch off within minutes because they are dull to watch and repetitive.

As for Clarkey, he is as dull as dishwater too. It's the same recycled tactical comments from him every time he's on TV, except he will use different player names. He doesn't do anything for my viewing pleasure.

Steve, Eddie and Clarkey should be ousted. Carney, Barrie and Jon Wells are easy to watch and have some very good insights. I'd love to see all three of them to be the main presenters and commentators.

i must admit i find the aussies terrible. They often ignore talking points so they can call each other by their nicknames and engage in bants.

I disagree. For toe-curling banter Eddie & Stevo have been world Champions for decades.

The Aussies just call the game. If the ref doesn't give a forward pass, then play on. EH bangs on and on about it and then consults an ex ref live on air whilst the game continues. It's blinking awful.

I disagree. For toe-curling banter Eddie & Stevo have been world Champions for decades.

The Aussies just call the game. If the ref doesn't give a forward pass, then play on. EH bangs on and on about it and then consults an ex ref live on air whilst the game continues. It's blinking awful.

It's a pet hate of mine. It's not a Sky thing as the ru callers don't criticise the refs. It's just them two.

If the ref doesn't call it, it didn't happen. What's the point in trying to prove it did? Just look in the papers the next day for proof.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

im certainly not praising eddie and stevo, but the aussies often donr even bother with a replay of certain things. Personally i dont mind the tv game being about talking points and controversy. I think the bbc have the mix right, they will show the replays, discuss it but not get obsessed by it.

im certainly not praising eddie and stevo, but the aussies often donr even bother with a replay of certain things. Personally i dont mind the tv game being about talking points and controversy. I think the bbc have the mix right, they will show the replays, discuss it but not get obsessed by it.

I think NRL games have highlights in a small box in the corner while the game coverage continues. It's the best compromise.

Archived