Rant thread

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

AA price restored. Apparently the letter is auto generated and you have to call each year to keep discount. 

I’d have cancelled out of principle if I didn’t think the others were just as morally challenged. 

I pay around £60 per year for my breakdown cover, which is personal (covers me for both cars and the bike), and includes UK wide recovery and at home. Price is based on the age of the newest vehicle I own, it's never changed by more than a few quid each year, and the last renewal was within a tenner of what I paid when I first joined them about 10 years ago. Not all service providers are the same. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Here's my cheek, slap away! 

_20180627_192620.JPG

giphy.gif

...............and don't let me catch you here come next snowfall

• Haha 1

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

HMRC

I came home this evening to find a hand delivered letter from HMRC telling me they will be back to collect £5k or goods to the value in payment for the outstanding PAYE debt owed by a company using my address.

now using the most rudimentary investigative techniques I found the registered address for this company is 30miles away and the directors are the couple I bought my house off 4 years ago. 

I tracked down their home address and work addresses in about ten minutes, it wouldn’t even have taken that long if I was prepared to cough up £2 for a premium search on 192.com.

if I can do it why the effity Geoff couldn’t the idiots at HMRC? Why do they get to the point of kicking the door in before checking they’ve got the right door.? I may copy my MP on this one.

Update.

HMRC have just called me back and advised me that I can safely ignore any further letters or communication and they will not be making any more home visits.

I have spoken to but not engaged a solicitor and dropped this into the conversation and suggested if we had any further conversations they would be through my solicitor at £230 an hour. The same solicitor that acts for Hampshire Police in their defence work. And the name I dropped is their head of litigation. 

Looks like that's safely on the back burner then.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Update.

HMRC have just called me back and advised me that I can safely ignore any further letters or communication and they will not be making any more home visits.

I have spoken to but not engaged a solicitor and dropped this into the conversation and suggested if we had any further conversations they would be through my solicitor at £230 an hour. The same solicitor that acts for Hampshire Police in their defence work. And the name I dropped is their head of litigation. 

Don’t worry, it’ll only take 15 years and two IT upgrades for HMRC to “forget” that you and a tax evader are linked via a property transaction. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Update.

You dont actually believe them, do you? ???

Ive ranted about this before, but tonight deserves another.

We get our cleaning products etc delivered  tonight they messed up our order and we received some mini limes, 1 small bag packed in 2 carrier bags. Some spray stuff, 2 seperate carrier bags and some wipes, again in their own 2 carrier bag packaging. All of this came in a box. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

The number of crisps in a bag ... and some of those bite size chocolate  things in bags . We are conned left right n centre . Don’t know about carbon dioxide but there’s loads of gas in those bags doing the ‘ i look full ‘ job . Think I’ve got a record of six crisps

Edited by DavidM

Scottish Power. I just received an email from them saying “Your dual fuel direct debit is going up from £75p/m to £218p/m”

Their online tool says I should expect to be in credit by £1500 by the end of the contract in 2019. Their tool allows me to reduce that to £750 in credit. 

They can go fornicate with themselves. 

The email was sent at 2201, their call centre closes at 2200. So all that'll do is make me even more annoyed tomorrow when I call them to insert their plans to get me to give them an interest free loan up their Spanish backsides. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 hours ago, ckn said:

Scottish Power. I just received an email from them saying “Your dual fuel direct debit is going up from £75p/m to £218p/m”

Their online tool says I should expect to be in credit by £1500 by the end of the contract in 2019. Their tool allows me to reduce that to £750 in credit. 

They can go fornicate with themselves. 

The email was sent at 2201, their call centre closes at 2200. So all that'll do is make me even more annoyed tomorrow when I call them to insert their plans to get me to give them an interest free loan up their Spanish backsides. 

Reduced to £102p/m. Their view was I was slightly underpaying. My view was that I wasn’t using almost treble the gas and electricity. I agreed a small increase might be fair but not that much.

It’ll put me in credit by an estimated £150 extra over a year. That’s far better than £1500. 

They had no excuses at all for why the rate was so high. 

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Aaaaarrrrrggghhh!

My local Waitrose has stopped selling Twinings Turkish Apple Tea & nowhere else in town sells it. I know this is actually a First World Problem but Twinings Turkish Apple Tea is simply the best! 

UPDATE! 

My wife has ordered 4 boxes online from Twinings. She is my hero! 

Crisis averted! ? 

Still not happy with Waitrose though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Usual crack . Barrel of crude oil is apparently at it`s lowest in years , yet petrol prices stay the same .

Oil price is nowhere near its lowest in years, that's completely wrong.

It's fallen 10% in a week though, expect prices at the pump to come down pretty soon.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Oil price is nowhere near its lowest in years, that's completely wrong.

It's fallen 10% in a week though, expect prices at the pump to come down pretty soon.

Is this just normal market fluctuations or is someone manipulating the price? I ask because the price of oil is Putin's 'achilles heel', though he probably doesn't care as he wouldn't suffer personally.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

57 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Is this just normal market fluctuations or is someone manipulating the price? I ask because the price of oil is Putin's 'achilles heel', though he probably doesn't care as he wouldn't suffer personally.

Not really my area. But the FT says it's dropped 40% since June, still double what it was a couple of years ago. FT reckons it's simply production unexpectedly up and demand unexpectedly down (fears of global trade war) and that Russia will suffer quite a lot at this level.

• Like 1

Was in a shop the other day when a bloke asked the shop assistant if the shirt he had was available in a bigger size , girl duly went off and brought back shirt . "Thanks" said the bloke "Awesome" ......If ever a word should be placed in Room 101 this is it .Someone who performs heart transplants , or finds a cure for some disease or other is "awesome" , not somebody who produces a shirt ! Send this over used word back to America where it`s misuse came from !

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Was in a shop the other day when a bloke asked the shop assistant if the shirt he had was available in a bigger size , girl duly went off and brought back shirt . "Thanks" said the bloke "Awesome" ......If ever a word should be placed in Room 101 this is it .Someone who performs heart transplants , or finds a cure for some disease or other is "awesome" , not somebody who produces a shirt ! Send this over used word back to America where it`s misuse came from !

Totally! ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

7 minutes ago, longboard said:

Totally! ?

Absolutely ?

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Avoid the USA.

I do not think you would like it.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Absolutely ?

Fabulous!

(Darling!)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.