Rant thread

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

But are you cleared for Google Adsense? Otherwise you get nothing.  My most-watched vid has 10K views over 10 years but it's only monetised because one of the big music publishers lodged a claim on it.

No, but you need watch time (and 1000 subscribers to get it). So a viral video would help get me there!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No, but you need watch time (and 1000 subscribers to get it). So a viral video would help get me there!

Unless you joined the Adsense programme before they introduced those rules, although you would have chalked up the requisite by now if you had been posting vids that long. I get 3K views a year and I've never promoted my channel and the last video I made was  9 years ago. Since then I mirrored one video by someone else but that's all. Give me your channel name and I'll watch a few to get your numbers up.

You need to put a lot of work into all the other social media platforms so they all cross-fertilise but I only use about 10 sites in total these days and never use Twitter, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Applaud at the huge savings in healthcare from the removal of all the direct pollutants in our town centres, and recognise that they're probably still in net positive revenue out of it.  Happy to help.

If only....

….when is all this going to happen?

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If only....

….when is all this going to happen?

When everyone buys Tesla cars ?

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

37 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Unless you joined the Adsense programme before they introduced those rules, although you would have chalked up the requisite by now if you had been posting vids that long. I get 3K views a year and I've never promoted my channel and the last video I made was  9 years ago. Since then I mirrored one video by someone else but that's all. Give me your channel name and I'll watch a few to get your numbers up.

You need to put a lot of work into all the other social media platforms so they all cross-fertilise but I only use about 10 sites in total these days and never use Twitter, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

My channel in all its glory!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCokzhlwUDihI1kGZcInYvbA/

It's not views anymore the view time, it used to be get 10,000 views and you are in.  I don't post enough right now.  I post new vids in a few places, but i think i might need to be more blatant! 

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

21 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

My channel in all its glory!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCokzhlwUDihI1kGZcInYvbA/

It's not views anymore the view time, it used to be get 10,000 views and you are in.  I don't post enough right now.  I post new vids in a few places, but i think i might need to be more blatant! 

Nice scenery but I don't know how you would promote a channel like that. It's a pity you don't encounter more wildlife because that's a reliable niche. I watch OZ bat rescue vids and over the years they end up with 200 vids, each still picking up views so it helps their totals even though an individual vid might only get 5K views.

1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

Nice scenery but I don't know how you would promote a channel like that. It's a pity you don't encounter more wildlife because that's a reliable niche. I watch OZ bat rescue vids and over the years they end up with 200 vids, each still picking up views so it helps their totals even though an individual vid might only get 5K views.

Gear reviews and ‘wild camping’ are the big view  (or potential for) winners in that niche.  

And to stay with the rant theme, someone gave me a ‘dislike’ when only 18 people had watched it!  Humph!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Gear reviews and ‘wild camping’ are the big view  (or potential for) winners in that niche.  

And to stay with the rant theme, someone gave me a ‘dislike’ when only 18 people had watched it!  Humph!

I used to post a lot of debunking comments on Pizzagate videos and nearly every video of mine has a comment, seemingly right out of the blue, accusing me of being a pedophile.

On 07/07/2019 at 21:35, Maximus Decimus said:

If it's not a race why do they go to great lengths to not only publish who finishes where but who was the first in each age group etc

Makes your run more enjoyable if you like stats . Good to see how you are doing against people same age . I like looking back at my results see my highs and lows .  

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I used to post a lot of debunking comments on Pizzagate videos and nearly every video of mine has a comment, seemingly right out of the blue, accusing me of being a pedophile.

Generally speaking the Youtube comments section is one of the worst on the internet.  Just a horrible place on any mainstream channel.  

1 hour ago, henage said:

Makes your run more enjoyable if you like stats . Good to see how you are doing against people same age . I like looking back at my results see my highs and lows .  

Of course, I enjoy it too but it's a bit naive to think if you're going to publish a finishing order people aren't going to treat it as a race. 

13 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Generally speaking the Youtube comments section is one of the worst on the internet.  Just a horrible place on any mainstream channel.  

John Oliver called the YT comments section "the most cogent argument for NOT learning to read."

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yep . I watch a fair few historical documentaries ... and on subjects like WW2 , the Nazis , Churchill , the Cold War the comments are , err , interesting in a weird world viewpoint way 

• Like 1

Just watching golf and the comms endlessly say “ it wasn’t his best shot “ . Why do all sports commentators talk in that way ? Every sport they say things like “ he’s not having his best day .... he or she isn’t having the best time lately .... that’s not his best , he’ll be disappointed with that “ Blah blah blah , why do they  never just say it’s poor , it’s rubbish etc . There’s always that platitude like they never want to seem critical . In cricket there was a guy averaging 7 and the commentator said “ he’s not having the most successful time , but he’s a great player “. Yeh ok .

They also like giving players excuses for messing up . The ball bobbled .... he took his eye off it .... the sun was in his eyes was a cracker when Roy dropped a sitter ( yes you Nasser ) . Even though he had sunglasses on ... Maybe sometimes they just make mistakes for no reason ?

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Just watching golf and the comms endlessly say “ it wasn’t his best shot “ . Why do all sports commentators talk in that way ? Every sport they say things like “ he’s not having his best day .... he or she isn’t having the best time lately .... that’s not his best , he’ll be disappointed with that “ Blah blah blah , why do they  never just say it’s poor , it’s rubbish etc . There’s always that platitude like they never want to seem critical . In cricket there was a guy averaging 7 and the commentator said “ he’s not having the most successful time , but he’s a great player “. Yeh ok .

They also like giving players excuses for messing up . The ball bobbled .... he took his eye off it .... the sun was in his eyes was a cracker when Roy dropped a sitter ( yes you Nasser ) . Even though he had sunglasses on ... Maybe sometimes they just make mistakes for no reason ?

If you want relentless negativity, sign up to a fans' forum for whichever sport you are watching at the time. ? 

Seriously, commentators can tie themselves in knots trying to same the same things again and again in different ways, to avoid sounding repetitive, but sometimes lack the skill with words.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you want relentless negativity, sign up to a fans' forum for whichever sport you are watching at the time. ? 

Seriously, commentators can tie themselves in knots trying to same the same things again and again in different ways, to avoid sounding repetitive, but sometimes lack the skill with words.

Bit of saying it how it is rather than couching it will do . If it’s poor or a mess up everyone watching knows it ? It’s just honest . They seem scared to say anything . Racing coverage is probably the worst , that’s a very incestuous sport where everyone knows everyone and there’s links between broadcasters and those in the sport and they live in the same racing hotspots . They hardly ever criticise anyone 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I was a stadium announcer in the USA.

I found saying "Yup, same again" was actually taken as refreshing.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That sounds intriguing Bob . Do elaborate .

Well, the I retired as a player for the first time after a season at Boston 13s, and I arrived at match day and was told the stadium announcer was a little uncertain as she was not familiar with the sport. So, I went to the box and the stadium announcer said to me "Help, I don't know what I'm going" and she actually, literally ran away.

So, my career in stadium announcment started in the style of a bemused plastic Humphrey Littleton.

Most stadium announcement was terrible, they would just say what people could actually see anyway and was always positive. I spoke about it like I would to someone less familiar with sport with whom I was sharing a pint. I was technically terrible, but rather popular. I gave it up after one year.

PS: The odd thing was, "Yup, same again" or "he'll be disappointed, he is usually good" were refreshing to an audience used to "Made four yards!!!! AWESOME!!!!"

Edited by Bob8
  • Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Well, the I retired as a player for the first time after a season at Boston 13s, and I arrived at match day and was told the stadium announcer was a little uncertain as she was not familiar with the sport. So, I went to the box and the stadium announcer said to me "Help, I don't know what I'm going" and she actually, literally ran away.

So, my career in stadium announcment started in the style of a bemused plastic Humphrey Littleton.

Most stadium announcement was terrible, they would just say what people could actually see anyway and was always positive. I spoke about it like I would to someone less familiar with sport with whom I was sharing a pint. I was technically terrible, but rather popular. I gave it up after one year.

PS: The odd thing was, "Yup, same again" or "he'll be disappointed, he is usually good" were refreshing to an audience used to "Made four yards!!!! AWESOME!!!!"

Interesting, so people understood what you were on about when you said rugby league specific terminology such as, "ey up, bit of handbags there!"?? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Interesting, so people understood what you were on about when you said rugby league specific terminology such as, "ey up, bit of handbags there!"?? 

Or, perhaps, going for the full Mick Morgan after a late shot?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

the full Mick Morgan

The Full Mick Morgan

What a great tee-shirt that would be for the RLWC I put it in blue for accuracy.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

They heard a bemused and slightly confused Grandad. The extreme nature of the sport, while I was talking about technical aspects was also a little distinctive apparently.

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

"They never just say 'poor'"?

I seem to remember Jiffy saying that (or perhaps it was "pooer"?) quite a lot. He even got criticised on here for it.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.