Rant thread

29 minutes ago, Steve May said:

I shall be on my way to Copenhagen later today.

Typical business trip: get up at 4.30am, fly to somewhere, get a taxi to a site on an industrial estate, spend all day indoors in a room with no windows, get a taxi to a hotel, eat a room service burger while working until 1am,  sleep, get taxi to industrial estate at 8am, spend all day indoors in a room with no windows, get taxi to airport, fly home.  

Arrive at home to be asked “Was Berlin/Copenhagen/Brussels/Wherever nice?”    

Answer “I don’t know”

Next time, give me a buzz and make sure we can maybe Grab a pint at the airport. I am there often. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

39 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Typical business trip: get up at 4.30am, fly to somewhere, get a taxi to a site on an industrial estate, spend all day indoors in a room with no windows, get a taxi to a hotel, eat a room service burger while working until 1am,  sleep, get taxi to industrial estate at 8am, spend all day indoors in a room with no windows, get taxi to airport, fly home.  

Answer “I don’t know”

Mrs Shadow occasionally gets to go to Medical Conferences where big pharma pay for everything, consequently her view of business travel and my view of business travel diverge quite radically.

This was best illustrated a few years ago when I was at a stakeholder presentation by Scottish Power in Keswick and Mrs S was at a wound care conference in London.

Her hotel room was in the Tower Gateway overlooking Tower Bridge and the Thames, mine was in a Travelodge overlooking the Little Chef Kitchens and bins.

• Like 1

As an Englishman abroad, I am looking forward to my trip to Portsmouth next month. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

39 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Next time, give me a buzz and make sure we can maybe Grab a pint at the airport. I am there often. 

Be careful - if we win this work, I will be in Denmark every week for months.  

You might not be able to get rid of me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

As an Englishman abroad, I am looking forward to my trip to Portsmouth next month. 

How long will you be in Pompey?

Bear in mind the correct answer here is "Too long" whatever the duration. 

17 minutes ago, Shadow said:

How long will you be in Pompey?

Bear in mind the correct answer here is "Too long" whatever the duration. 

Tuesday to Friday. 

So, about right. 

I really enjoyed my trips to Portsmouth following York City, sadly it seems highly likely that we'll never play them again. The Old Town had a good selection of pubs and more history than you'll time to appreciate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I really enjoyed my trips to Portsmouth following York City, sadly it seems highly likely that we'll never play them again. The Old Town had a good selection of pubs and more history than you'll time to appreciate.

Albert Road is great 

20 hours ago, Steve May said:

This was one of the main reasons why I decided to stop working for a couple of years - really enjoyed the work, but started to resent this kind of travel. The first few times you go to Japan, or India or wherever, it's interesting, but it's mostly exactly as you describe.

I remember one of my former colleagues saying that he'd got to the point where if there was a volcano exploding outside the hotel window, he probably wouldn't bother to open the curtains to have a look

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve May said:

Answer “I don’t know”

When I worked at Nortel Networks, we were chasing work so hard that it was 3-4 days out of a week abroad, and not at a single country either.  A typical week would be:

Monday: first flight out to Amsterdam, last flight back
Tuesday: first flight out to Madrid, last flight back
Wednesday; office
Thursday: first flight out to Munich, last flight back
Friday: getting complained at for not being in the office when I'm in Copenhagen on a firefighting client visit, last flight back.

It was a rare time we got to stay overnight in a place but it was nice to get home at night.

I was delighted to be made redundant when Nortel went bankrupt and closed.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 21/06/2019 at 10:41, ckn said:

I was delighted to be made redundant when Nortel went bankrupt and closed.

My experience with Nortel kit wasn't the greatest.  In fact we recommended buying something else before any contracts were placed.  We obviously ended up getting the Nortel stuff.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

My experience with Nortel kit wasn't the greatest.  In fact we recommended buying something else before any contracts were placed.  We obviously ended up getting the Nortel stuff.  

As Nortel started to struggle, it cut corners on things. It then cut prices to reflect those cut corners.  It then had to cut corners and quality even further. Customers then left because they were buying critical infrastructure stuff and rubbish cheap stuff usually isn’t good enough. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Bots and algorithms. YouTube demonetised this video because it was unsuitable for advertisers. This woman is a wildlife rescuer and has dozens, maybe hundreds, of bat rescue and rehab vids and they have the most positive comments section I've ever seen on YT. Perhaps someone else can spot the "unsuitable" parts but I sure can't.

Going to use public toilets when you're busting for a slash, only to find there is a 40p charge and a huge barrier to prevent sneaking in. Not much use when you've only got a £10 note. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Going to use public toilets when you're busting for a slash, only to find there is a 40p charge and a huge barrier to prevent sneaking in. Not much use when you've only got a £10 note. 

You FOUND a public toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I speak as someone who has ulcerative colitis and a RADAR key, fat lot of good it is unless you find a handy supermarket?

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:48, gazza77 said:

In all of Hastings & St. Leonards the only public toilet is usually full of syringes, and other drug paraphernalia, or in the Supermarkets, or beyond the barriers at Hastings rail station.

This board, specifically the Personal Responsibility and Jeremy Corbyn threads.

They've descended into old folk whining about the youth of today, in my day we saved tuppence a fortnight to be able to afford a turnip at christmas. The music these days, call it music? It's just swearing and shouting. Eee it were all fields round here when I were young. Aren't policemen getting young these days. What's that you say? Half past seven. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

This board, specifically the Personal Responsibility and Jeremy Corbyn threads.

They've descended into old folk whining about the youth of today, in my day we saved tuppence a fortnight to be able to afford a turnip at christmas. The music these days, call it music? It's just swearing and shouting. Eee it were all fields round here when I were young. Aren't policemen getting young these days. What's that you say? Half past seven. 

It's not like threads when I was a youngster, by the time you had fired up 't internet, and I mean fired it up, you had to bring 't coil in to lite boiler that ran it, yer were too knackered to be hittin' keys, an' ther wer proper big wooden ones, wit hammer too much so yer dint bother wit piffle (God, a Borisism, shoot me!) Yer just stuck tert important stuff like how ter cure rickets and cook a rat stroganoff fer 4. If yer ad a tablet it wer a big piece o stone  an a mobile was a boiler pulled bi a oss n cart?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

cook a rat stroganoff

Fancy forrin muck.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Fancy forrin muck.

Wer nowt but exotic up ere tha knows, besides 'ow yer want yer rat, boiled or fried?' tends to pall aftert first few months so rat stroganoff or rat kebabs help bring a little  pleasure to pass the day?

31 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Wer nowt but exotic up ere tha knows, besides 'ow yer want yer rat, boiled or fried?' tends to pall aftert first few months so rat stroganoff or rat kebabs help bring a little  pleasure to pass the day?

Rat au Van?

It's a rat that's been run over by a Van (c) Blackadder goes forth

• Haha 2

On 28/06/2019 at 19:48, gazza77 said:

Bring back the vacant and engaged jobs.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.