Rant thread

And the point is

Noise or jealousy or have you silly astroturf

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, 9' oller said:

And the point is

Noise or jealousy or have you silly astroturf

Gravel and paving actually and it may come as a suprise to you but grass doesn't really grow very much between Nov & March especially on days when the temperature is 2c.

I'm a gardener. Own firm. If it makes him happy gets him away from tv and a light bit of titivation/ exercise go mad sir

• Like 1

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

22 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

I'm a gardener. Own firm. If it makes him happy gets him away from tv and a light bit of titivation/ exercise go mad sir

This is the same person who cuts his grass. 3 times a week during summer, takes individual items up to his recycling bin, and moves it nearer to his gate on the morning prior to the collection day then puts it out that evening for collection the next day. He's recently retired so maybe his wife is sick of him getting under her feet or he seriously needs to get a propper hobby. No, I am not spying on him this all takes place in view of our window as his garden backs onto ours, I just find it sad really.

Going to work yesterday I was reminded of a real bug bear of mine. I hate it when people speed up when you try to overtake them whether that is on a motorway, dual carriageway, overtaking lane or country road. For instance I can be stuck behind someone doing 40 mph in a 60 mph zone and then we get to an overtaking lane then they suddenly speed up to 60 mph+ to try and prevent anyone passing. It is so infuriating, never mind downright dangerous and illegal. Surely its also less stressful for them letting cars past than having a long queue behind them. And don't even get me started on tractors that never pull in...

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Absolute nuggets! I had one last week doing 20mph in a 40 zone (for some distance too....I wasn't just being impatient) then sped up as I overtook them. Bleeding idiots.

This is far worse in the south west USA. A visiting Danish lady referred to them wanting to be “car buddies”. 

They want to drive slowly, but not be overtaken. So, they speed up as you try to overtake, and slow if you try and fall back behind them. All it takes is for them to catch-up with a slow moving vehicle and congestion ensues. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

when people are driving around after about 4ish in January how about putting your effin LIGHTS ON!

But there saving their battery, causing a accident that they may be involved in is irrelevant.

42 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

But there saving their battery, causing a accident that they may be involved in is irrelevant.

what percentage of the brain must be numb to not register- "its dark, I cant see the road in front of me" its dark , none of the dashboard is lit up , its pitch black in the car" before the bell rings?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

This is not a rant more a disappointment. I'm back on TotalRL with little to report. Not a lot has changed on my part. I didn't find anything to replace the past-time of rugby. Never mind. I hope all is well and feel free to direct message me if there's anything I need to know.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Welcome back but nothing has changed much here either. The Brexit thread is still going strong and the usual trolls pop up occasionally. On the plus side, it's pretty good for an argument.

No it's not.

*sorry.

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

First rant.

I called to cancel my Yorkshire bank signature part of my account which is £13 a month extra.

The call has taken 20 minutes already. They insist on going through every difference to the normal account. Fortunately they called me back. 

Now I have to go through another 10 minutes to set up back to the normal account. 

• 2 weeks later...

Folk being on the phone at all times for no reason and causing a menace through not paying attention. Most annoying locations: supermarkets, busy streets and buses.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Something that seems to have become much more prevalent in the last couple of years. People who don't bag up their purchases as they come down the conveyor belt until they've paid. They watch everything pile up, take their usual time paying, then slowly start to put things in the bag while those behind them watch. This applies to regular tills and self-service tills.

The stupid people of the world have discovered a way of more than doubling the amount of other people's time they can waste. High time we means-tested any demands for oxygen.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Something that seems to have become much more prevalent in the last couple of years. People who don't bag up their purchases as they come down the conveyor belt until they've paid. They watch everything pile up, take their usual time paying, then slowly start to put things in the bag while those behind them watch. This applies to regular tills and self-service tills.

The stupid people of the world have discovered a way of more than doubling the amount of other people's time they can waste. High time we means-tested any demands for oxygen.

In the UK, I assumed this was a female thing. To a certain extent it is, but not globally.

This behaviour is passive aggression and is generally more common in whatever group seem to feel the least empowered. In Denmark and the USA, it is often a racial divide rather than a sex divide.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

In the UK, I assumed this was a female thing. To a certain extent it is, but not globally.

This behaviour is passive aggression and is generally more common in whatever group seem to feel the least empowered. In Denmark and the USA, it is often a racial divide rather than a sex divide.

Passive/aggressive? I assumed it was mere imbecility.

I look forward to the few days per year when the cubs/scouts/guides have a bag-packing fund-raiser. They get the job done and I always donate generously - not for packing my bags, but for doing the same for the customers ahead of me in the queue.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I look forward to the few days per year when the cubs/scouts/guides have a bag-packing fund-raiser. They get the job done and I always donate generously - not for packing my bags, but for doing the same for the customers ahead of me in the queue.

I worked in a sandwich coffee shop and there were always a small number who would reach the head of the long queue and announce they had not made up their minds and expect everyone to wait. Most people accepted this, but I sent them to the back of the queue, which meant they never did it with me again.

Sometimes, people can be confused or overwhelmed at odd moments, but usually this is on purpose, from people who would not dare accept the role of baddie or aggressor.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

There’s a well known “power” strategy of making people wait for no reason to prove you have power over them. Many managers do this by turning up late to meetings relentlessly to show how important they were. 

The best director I worked for used to lock the door to meeting rooms two minutes after it was due to start and wave to people who turned up late. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I worked in a sandwich coffee shop and there were always a small number who would reach the head of the long queue and announce they had not made up their minds and expect everyone to wait. Most people accepted this, but I sent them to the back of the queue, which meant they never did it with me again.

Sometimes, people can be confused or overwhelmed at odd moments, but usually this is on purpose, from people who would not dare accept the role of baddie or aggressor.

Variation on a theme: People who are stood at the bar of a crowded pub, deliberating. If there was a God solely for pubs, he would smite them in an instant.

• Like 2

In the 70's I was working behind the bar at Warwick Uni Students Union.

On the first few nights of the first term the punters would be standing 10 deep at the bar. When eventually they got to attract my attention they would turn to their friends and say  " Oh! What would you like" friend number one would say " Oh! What have they got? I would then go through mantra of all the beers we had and then they would choose one. The customer would then turn to friend number two and say " what would you like".... "Oh! What have they got". This was repeated through the round until every one was served. Then came the fun of the customer having to actually pay. It was pretty clear that actually handling money was a foreign experience. The poor dears were clearly lost. THEN the whole process was repeated with the next punter. To be fair by the time they got to the end of the first term we had them educated in bar protocols.

Then when the academic year was over we had the OU summer school students to contend with. These superior beings had lived in the real world and here they were at last in the hallowed halls of Academia. Now they faced the common plebs with no intellect working to serve their every desire.

To be honest, I found the easiest way to put them down a peg or two was to take them outside and rub them up and down the wall a couple of times.

One time it nearly backfired. I ended up covered in blood after my barrel mallet defeated yer mans pool cue. The attending polce woman said " My God! Are you OK?"

I showed her the nick on my thumb adjacent to my finger nail and said " I think I will survive".

Then the duty Inspector down at the local Nick said " Try not to make a habit of this"

My wife was far less understanding when she saw the state of my shirt!

Oh Happy days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow