Workington away

RogerT

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back up to 5th.

Cheers Roger.

You played well Roger and maybe just deserved the win but it was close, we bombed it at 24-24, we then forced the pass out wide on the 3rd tackle, instead of driving it to the sticks and going for one , the next set of 6 and you score, the good thing for me was Town didn't give in and showed some desire , we can go to Blackers with some confidence.

Good luck for the rest of the season marra.

Thanks Hate the Rec.

Yes the team are frightening and I'm only a spectator.

Cheers Roger.

You played well Roger and maybe just deserved the win but it was close, we bombed it at 24-24, we then forced the pass out wide on the 3rd tackle, instead of driving it to the sticks and going for one , the next set of 6 and you score, the good thing for me was Town didn't give in and showed some desire , we can go to Blackers with some confidence.

Good luck for the rest of the season marra.

Most thought it would be tight and Worky look to be getting back to form. Another tough game next week and a chance to put a bit of pressure on Fev/Fax with an early win against the Rams who will be smarting after being nilled at home.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Most thought it would be tight and Worky look to be getting back to form. Another tough game next week and a chance to put a bit of pressure on Fev/Fax with an early win against the Rams who will be smarting after being nilled at home.

You'll have no problems next Sunday, I'm sorry to say.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Sadly a trip to Germany prevented me attending the game but are there any highlights (easily accessible.... you know what I mean!)

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

Hello Hate the rec, wow your team changed once Sammut came on, I have just watched the highlights on Batley TV.

The first try for you scored by Phillips was forward and not just my eyes there was the 20 metre line to go by, but it's all part of the game and Batley didn't moan about it.

Your ground looked well bathed in sunshine.

Cheers Roger.

Looked like a dropped ball on the next worky try too!

That's what I thought as well, but we were not perfect either. As I said it's all part of the game.

Cheers Roger.

Mariano looked lively and put in a good 80, hope he plays Sunday, Scott, Jim Brown, Leek all there and there abouts, looked a decent all round performance, some good rugby tries (from both sides actually), a good win up there, a bit more confidence for Rams match, then if we can get it over Oldham we could have a 4 match winning streak, that should get 'em talking about us again! All those Rams fans reckoning they're not up to it, bet you are!! This isn't a normal rugby league game, it's the hottest derby in town, forget your Hull/KR, Saints/Wigan, this is THE bragging rights game, Morrison will get you up for it don't fret. Thing about Dogs at the moment though is that they have this idea that however many somebody gets against 'em they seem to have this collective will to score more, that was borne out at Worky, when last season we'd have lost, yet this time we just dusted down and drove back, like against Halifax. Can see probably 10 points in it, could be either way...............

Mariano looked lively and put in a good 80, hope he plays Sunday, Scott, Jim Brown, Leek all there and there abouts, looked a decent all round performance, some good rugby tries (from both sides actually), a good win up there, a bit more confidence for Rams match, then if we can get it over Oldham we could have a 4 match winning streak, that should get 'em talking about us again! All those Rams fans reckoning they're not up to it, bet you are!! This isn't a normal rugby league game, it's the hottest derby in town, forget your Hull/KR, Saints/Wigan, this is THE bragging rights game, Morrison will get you up for it don't fret. Thing about Dogs at the moment though is that they have this idea that however many somebody gets against 'em they seem to have this collective will to score more, that was borne out at Worky, when last season we'd have lost, yet this time we just dusted down and drove back, like against Halifax. Can see probably 10 points in it, could be either way...............

I'd guess you haven't seen us play this season Phil - along with all the other dogs supporters, you will undoubtedly share our pain at the weekend.  ;) Along with Nick D, I'm already resigned to enjoying rugby at Oxford next year, simply because we aren't good enough to stay up. The coach seems unable to motivate the players in our "one big happy family" to raise their game against the better placed clubs, and I doubt the local Derby aspect will have much bearing, because apart from Sykes and Muranka, our players aren't local. GM doesn't particularly regard the slogfests  as anything important anyway, so I can't see any other outcome than a thumping. Sorry to be the bearer of good news, but that's how it is. Our only hope is that some of our better players will want to put themselves in the shop window for next year, and might actually make an effort - I won't hold my breath.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

GOR and Nick D, never fear you are too good to go down.

We want you up here with us then we don't have to travel too far for at least one match.

Cheers Roger.

We really dug deep to win this one, a really tough afternoon.

Only negative for me was Mariano, not sure whether he wasnt fit or wasnt interested but i thought he was the worst player on the field by some distance - send him back ASAP as we have far better already.

A good win up there none the less, and lets hope we can beat the old enemy and kick on, still a chance of sneaking the top 4, that would be a marvellous achievement - bring on the Rhinos.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

We really dug deep to win this one, a really tough afternoon.

Only negative for me was Mariano, not sure whether he wasnt fit or wasnt interested but i thought he was the worst player on the field by some distance - send him back ASAP as we have far better already.

A good win up there none the less, and lets hope we can beat the old enemy and kick on, still a chance of sneaking the top 4, that would be a marvellous achievement - bring on the Rhinos.

Having seen the full match i thought he played well for his second game in 2 years.. Give him 3-5 games for us to get back into it

Minikin was class again

I think we could sneak into the 4 as we welcome London & Fev in July

Very few d.r or loan lads bust a gut anyway. But if they can bring physicality positional sense and game awareness then it fills a position.

Have we a tough do v shams or is it gonna be a slog with only a score difference. Im undecided

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I wasn't at the match so someone who was might have a different view on Mariano in the flesh, but from the highlights he looked to show well. As for DR's or loanees not busting a gut; I seem to remember Mullaley and Johnson getting in the mood for us, in GF season. Minikin seems to be doing it as well this time. Mariano adds a bit of size and bulk, which in all fairness our 2nd rowers don't have, they get by on motivation!! If he stays and buys into the spirit, he'll do us well.

I wasn't at the match so someone who was might have a different view on Mariano in the flesh, but from the highlights he looked to show well.

Right. Makes sense now, your review was perplexing before.

He was a mile off the pace, maybe 2.

My issue is, unless we were down to the bare bones, why was he playing (and starting) when he's so unfit? Fair enough that the spirit of DR is exactly that - to give fringe or injured players match time, but that's got to be to give them final sharpness, not basic fitness. After the big song and dance made about getting Hesketh to a starting level of fitness last year before he was allowed near the squad, this was disappointing.

My Cas mate says he's really good though, especially in defence. So I'll give him benefit of the doubt, seeing the decision to start him with the same frown as taking the 2 when 6-0 down.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

My issue is, unless we were down to the bare bones, why was he playing (and starting) when he's so unfit? Fair enough that the spirit of DR is exactly that - to give fringe or injured players match time, but that's got to be to give them final sharpness, not basic fitness. After the big song and dance made about getting Hesketh to a starting level of fitness last year before he was allowed near the squad, this was disappointing.

And this, in a nutshell, is the issue l have with DR. We were playing him to give him fitness, purely for the benefit of Cas. Did we actually need him? How did this benefit our club to have him play? Who did he replace? 

I had no issues with bringing in Casey and Petersen into the team. They are now our players. But DR is something else entirely and ultimately playing Mariano (and Minikin for that matter, no matter how well he played) undermines our club!

We don't know the ins and outs of JKs team selection. Maybe there are a few niggling injuries maybe he feels resting a few will help us towards the end of the season. Minikin looks good to me and his reaction when he scored on Sunday would suggest he cares. if we scrape the top 4 and get the huge cash payment that that brings then I will consider the DR n loans worthwhile.

We don't know the ins and outs of JKs team selection. Maybe there are a few niggling injuries maybe he feels resting a few will help us towards the end of the season. Minikin looks good to me and his reaction when he scored on Sunday would suggest he cares. if we scrape the top 4 and get the huge cash payment that that brings then I will consider the DR n loans worthwhile.

Good Post

Minikin is a class centre and we would be stupid not to give him a shirt. 

Yes he is, but I would rather we played our own players! What is wrong with Casey?

Personally, l don't like the DR system, regardless of whether it is another team or us that uses it. l think it undermines our club as a separate and independent entity!

However, l don't wish to derail this or any other thread where DR is not the main theme, and accept that others have different views to myself so will shut up!

Archived