Man of Steel will be....

Ellis just embodies what a MOS winner should be IMO. Brilliant leader, honest, down to earth, hard as nails and pretty skillful to boot. Not to mention the injury he came back from and the career he's had in general. Everyone in the Hull pack has been great this year, but Ellis stands head and shoulders above the lot. Hull have had some cracking back rowers in the SL era, but he goes straight in at number 1 for me.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ellis just embodies what a MOS winner should be IMO. Brilliant leader, honest, down to earth, hard as nails and pretty skillful to boot. Not to mention the injury he came back from and the career he's had in general. Everyone in the Hull pack has been great this year, but Ellis stands head and shoulders above the lot. Hull have had some cracking back rowers in the SL era, but he goes straight in at number 1 for me.

im not a fan of this bias towards forwards that the title of the award seem to encourage.

Edit: having looked it appears that tge ratio between backs and forwards over the last 30 years is around 50:50 which surprises me, with most winners over the last decade being backs!

im not a fan of this bias towards forwards that the title of the award seem to encourage.

Edit: having looked it appears that tge ratio between backs and forwards over the last 30 years is around 50:50 which surprises me, with most winners over the last decade being backs!

It's not the name of the award that sways me, I guess I just appreciate what the forwards do a little bit more than the backs. I'm a big believer in the old RL addage that forwards win games and backs decide by how many.

ellis man of steel and ben currie young player 

Not sure what the criteria is for young player is for young player of the year but if Currie at 22 years old qualifies then so does Denny Solomona who would get my vote out of the two.

IMO Hull could have all the nominees this year.  I wouldnt complain if it went to any of Ellis, Houghton or Sneyd.

Sandow and Clark have also impressed at Wire.

Where it not for his incident and suspension Bateman who'd have been in with a shout (bet on him for it earlier in the season).

Had he have had more luck with injuries, and Cas had a better season Luke Dorn would have been my wild card, he has been outstanding this year!

All that said, hopefully it will go to Danny Magure who was my pre-season bet for the accolade!  Well done Danny.

Yes agreed. He's well ahead in the tackling as well - Can a Club have more than one nomination for MoS?

Last Season

HARDAKER, Walmesley CUTHBERTSON.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

"I think this year's Man Of Steel should be postponed because the game's rubbish, the players are rubbish, every team's crowds but Wigan's are rubbish and it's just not worth watching, although I still do so I can p%ss and moan about it."*

*rugbymac 2016.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Ellis..

or

Houghton..

cant see it being given anywhere else tbh

Ellis in form of his life,

and Houghton has been immense all season.

2 biggest reasons our west 'ull brethren sit top of the pile.

Ellis had a snapped Achilles' tendon. Hell of an injury to get over and the physio and work he would have to have done to just get back playing would have been extremely tough. He's got back into the team and playing exceptionally well. The more I think about it it's a toss up between him and Houghton.

But...I'd forgotten Sandow had had such an impact. Also Gale, early season form maybe dropping away for him - injured?

Business end of the season now. The champions stand out in these games.

I'd throw in Scott Taylor... best prop in England this year in my opinion.

Chris Hill is the stand-out prop in Super League week after week after week.

Should be man of steel but won't be. Ellis will be a deserving winner though.

Surely Ben Currie will be young player.

Man of Steel is Chris Sandow's award to lose at present.  He is just a cut above the rest this season.

If you class young players as under 20? then I would say Jowitt (DOB 06/05/97) and Albert (DOB 04/07/95) must be front runners.  Both are 1st choice in their respective teams and have had very good seasons so far.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

He is the same age as Currie, who some are heralding for young player of the year - so if 22 years olds qualify for young player of the year Solomona should be nailed on,for it. 

Yet you've stated he's been awful when playing at fullback.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Nothing has been won yet, in a long old season, but FC seem to be finally finding their feet as a top side in Superleague and I think it would be quite fitting if someone from the club were to win the Steve Prescott Man of Steel this year.

Man of Steel is Chris Sandow's award to lose at present.  He is just a cut above the rest this season.

If you class young players as under 20? then I would say Jowitt (DOB 06/05/97) and Albert (DOB 04/07/95) must be front runners.  Both are 1st choice in their respective teams and have had very good seasons so far.

Albert has played when Carney and Bosc have been out for Cats and isn't 1st choice. Not sure about Jowitt though.

Apart from when he's played against Hull FC! :onthequiet:

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Man of Steel is Chris Sandow's award to lose at present. He is just a cut above the rest this season.

If you class young players as under 20? then I would say Jowitt (DOB 06/05/97) and Albert (DOB 04/07/95) must be front runners. Both are 1st choice in their respective teams and have had very good seasons so far.

Sandow is the most exciting to watch for sure, and he would be on my shortlist. But several players are equally influential despite a different style. To suggest he's a cut above is a bit silly really

Pretty sure eligibility for the young player award depends on age AND having played fewer than 10 Super League games before the start of the season. So I doubt either Solomona or Currie would be nominated.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Pretty sure eligibility for the young player award depends on age AND having played fewer than 10 Super League games before the start of the season. So I doubt either Solomona or Currie would be nominated.

Pretty sure that's rookie of the year your thinking of young player of the year is purely age based. I'm sure Sarginson was nominated after his first season at Wigan despite the fact he'd already played a couple of seasons at London.

Albert has played when Carney and Bosc have been out for Cats and isn't 1st choice. Not sure about Jowitt though.

Jowitt is Wakefield's 1st choice full back.  Oops regarding the Frenchman, he always seems to play these days.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Albert is probably the best shout for rookie. Struggling to think of any other breakthrough stars that have impressed me like him. Currie should get YPOTY, but Solomona's try scoring record is outstanding.

He is the same age as Currie, who some are heralding for young player of the year - so if 22 years olds qualify for young player of the year Solomona should be nailed on,for it.

I think you've got to be under 23 when the season starts, but don't quote me on that because I'm not certain.

Archived