Hemel Stags

Still early days but Hemel have been thumped 82-0 by Barrow. Most expansion clubs seem to be no where near challenging for promotion or playoffs (not including Toronto) 

how long will it take for there to be more of an even playing field between heartlands and expansion and what can be done to help?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NickG14 said:

Still early days but Hemel have been thumped 82-0 by Barrow. Most expansion clubs seem to be no where near challenging for promotion or playoffs (not including Toronto) 

how long will it take for there to be more of an even playing field between heartlands and expansion and what can be done to help?

Not sure what can be done to help, but didn't the Gloucestershire All Golds beat Keighley the other week? 

It is still early days but they need to put more effort into selling themselves, I don't know why they don't rename themselves the Hertfordshire Stags or something to try and attract St Albans and Watford folk as well, that's quite a big population of people in that area.

27 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

It is still early days but they need to put more effort into selling themselves, I don't know why they don't rename themselves the Hertfordshire Stags or something to try and attract St Albans and Watford folk as well, that's quite a big population of people in that area.

I thought they had renamed themselves Dewsbury Stags this year anyway?

25 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Dont seee why there isemphasis on folk through the turnstiles.... the emphasisshold be on talent in the field!

Winni g isnt too important producing talent is!! 

Money talks. Bums on seats gives you the wherewithal  to pay for talent. 

Developing youngsters may be the cheapest option but getting 13 players of the right standard requires a huge pool to pick from  (there is a LOT of wastage, girl's , beer and work cause loads of problems )and there just aren't enough kids at every age group to give you the production line required to meet the need.

Not only that, but paying for the infrastructure to nurture talent is also a huge drain and success is far from being guaranteed.

Even Wigan with all the resources of the local schools and top class amatuer teams in the town have to brandish the cheque book to stay competitive.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I hope the RFL are ready to step in and help get things back on track as soon as the Trojan war ends and they return fully to Hertfordshire

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

no doubt these are very dark times but it doesnt mean it's all over. 2013 & 2014 they were being hailed by many as being a good expansion club,those days may return. I cant see it at the moment but I certainly couldnt have seen all this back then either. I know many think they should be booted out but if you did that everytime a club is at a very low ebb we wouldnt have many left would we?

I think it'd be a crying shame if the club doesnt make it & Im not only saying that because I support them. This team of northerners need to get some wins this season or I think it's curtains. Then they have to go southern again asap. 

The sad thing is the club was going well in a division that was essentially a development league.Then after 2 years that development league was scrapped, much stronger northern clubs dropped in & then the struggles began. This division isnt as sold to that group of expansion clubs. Saying that,the others are undoubtedly making a much better fist of it these days & Hemel need to somehow prove themselves & save their status

If last year's awful team lost at Barrow by 58 points then what on earth are these Yorkshire lads doing losing by 82? This experiment is not working & could kill the club. Sadly I think it was considered a move of last resort so even if they acknowledge it's failed,sack the coach,train back in Hemel then I worry it could already be too late.

14 minutes ago, Rascal Bongo Stork said:

Hemel. A puzzling amount of people seem to think they play in Dewsbury - now *that* would be nuts

Cheers for the info.

I haven't really followed the game at this level until recently, but it seems to me the Gloucestershire All Golds have a good set-up and a team that is progressing if their result over Keighley is anything to go by (which it might not be).

I also think their tie in with the local media school might help give them not only some fairly polished looking media profile at a cheap rate, but also some training and experience for the people putting together the packages.

Maybe all RL clubs should look at this example.

12 hours ago, Forestgravy said:

Nobody, wherever they live in Herts, is going to pay to watch a team that poor.

They should just relocate the team to Barnsley, Rotherham or Goole to be closer to their player base and then work on getting a team of Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/Essex players into the National Conference League

One thing I will say for Hemel is that they are a genuine Rugby League club and not just tenants in somebody else's stadium. I have visited many times and watched them play at all the various levels, (RL reserve grade .v. Keighley 'A', NCL and Championship 1). There are some hard working people involved at Hemel and they have done brilliantly to make it to this level. I wish them all the luck in the world but that won't be enough I'm afraid. Rugby League is all about who has the most money now.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, Forestgravy said:

They barely market themselves to anyone so a name change is a waste of time.  Strong amateur club, very poor pro-club so far. 

On 26/3/2017 at 0:18 AM, yipyee said:

Dont seee why there isemphasis on folk through the turnstiles.... the emphasisshold be on talent in the field!

Winni g isnt too important producing talent is!! 

There should be an emphasis on making the sport commercially viable in Hemel Hempstead otherwise it will die off.  And let us see what that does for either winning or getting players on the pitch.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Its been the same for years, since the days of Nottingham City / Mansfield Marksmen / Kent Invicta etc.

Unfortunately the RFL have expanded the game by allowing them in the league, but thats about as far as the plan goes, and there's no real assistance for them or any club outside SL going forward.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

1 hour ago, buford t justice said:

Its been the same for years, since the days of Nottingham City / Mansfield Marksmen / Kent Invicta etc.

Unfortunately the RFL have expanded the game by allowing them in the league, but thats about as far as the plan goes, and there's no real assistance for them or any club outside SL going forward.

The RFL just need to fund 1 development officer who is based at the club.

His aim should be to engage with schools and amateur clubs to arrange tournaments and games and to link it all in with the club.

This wouldn't be expensive, the club would benefit, the RFL would benefit and RL would benefit!

22 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The RFL just need to fund 1 development officer who is based at the club.

His aim should be to engage with schools and amateur clubs to arrange tournaments and games and to link it all in with the club.

This wouldn't be expensive, the club would benefit, the RFL would benefit and RL would benefit!

Is that in addition to the development officer they have in place?

http://hemelstags.com/club_info/staff_directory

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived