The Royal Grant

I read more on this and this is a two-fold reason:

1. It's profit share on the Crown Estate.  A bloody silly way to fund the monarchy, they should get what they need rather than be given profits from what is effectively public land.  If it's not public land and actually belongs to the Queen then the Inheritance Tax bill will be a nice boost to the Exchequer when she dies.

2. The overall percentage profit increase is to pay for the Buck House refurbishments.

So, less of a scandal than I first thought, it's not a politician led increase in the block maintenance grant, just a reflection that commercial property owners are making a grand old profit these days on premium land and that profit sharing funding is bloody silly.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's not true. Half of NHS employees have had 4% 

No... and you well know that's not accurate. I would explain it again but it'd be ignored again. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's not true. Half of NHS employees have had 4% 

So did the Queen move up an increment to get her pay rise?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, JohnM said:

You know what? No one in the real world gives a toss. 

Well perhaps they should. Perhaps the next referendum should be do we want a monarch at all.  TBF LIzzie doesn't do a bad job, but her successor is a "merchant banker"   The sooner we have an elected head of state the better,  People post on here about the millions wasted by the EU on two parliaments, but say nothing about the millions we waste on this outdated, class ridden anachronism. Get rid.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ah Elected Head of State!  You mean like Trump? Duerte? Temer? Erdoğan? 

Democracy, eh?

Not for the likes of us ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

"sigh"  We've just had a democratic election. 

So we have.

There's a whole thread about it.

This is about the other bits of the state that aren't democratic.

For more information please reread.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Like Steinmeier or Higgins maybe

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My ar se

Some will have had.  All public sector workers get an annual incremental pay rise until they reach the top of their grade.  That never gets mentioned by public sector workers or the media, strangely (not!).  So some will have had very nice pay rises when the 1% cap is included.  Meanwhile there are a lot of non-public sector workers - like me - who haven't had a pay rise in 7 years except by way of the increase in tax threshold, which of course has worked as a pay rise for an awful lot of people but which, again, never gets mentioned.

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

If necessary.  Trump'll  be gone in 2020, maybe before if he doesn't behave himself, the Saxe-Corburg Gotha's/Hanoverians have been with us for over 300 years.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Why do you contribute then John?

Perhaps John likes to provide the light relief. God knows we all need some of that from time to time.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

12 hours ago, ckn said:

I read more on this and this is a two-fold reason:

1. It's profit share on the Crown Estate.  A bloody silly way to fund the monarchy, they should get what they need rather than be given profits from what is effectively public land.  If it's not public land and actually belongs to the Queen then the Inheritance Tax bill will be a nice boost to the Exchequer when she dies.

2. The overall percentage profit increase is to pay for the Buck House refurbishments.

So, less of a scandal than I first thought, it's not a politician led increase in the block maintenance grant, just a reflection that commercial property owners are making a grand old profit these days on premium land and that profit sharing funding is bloody silly.

The Crown Estate doesn't belong to the Queen,  it belongs to the monarchy as a collective. As Head of the monarchy she administers it. The only way crown estate becomes liable for inheritance tax is if every last remaining member of the monarchy dies.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Some will have had.  All public sector workers get an annual incremental pay rise until they reach the top of their grade.  That never gets mentioned by public sector workers or the media, strangely (not!).  So some will have had very nice pay rises when the 1% cap is included.  Meanwhile there are a lot of non-public sector workers - like me - who haven't had a pay rise in 7 years except by way of the increase in tax threshold, which of course has worked as a pay rise for an awful lot of people but which, again, never gets mentioned.

In the public sector you are not paid the going rate for a job when you start it, you only get that after several years of increments.

The way grades work in the public sector is a way of suppressing wages. I am sure most public sector workers would sooner be payed the correct rate for the job from day one and not after 7 years.

It would seem that you have the luxury of having being paid the going rate for your job for 7 years rather than having to wait 7 years.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived