Did anyone play themselves out of the England reckoning

OMEGA

Alarming performances from a couple of potential England World Cup players in tonight’s Grand Final.

Obviously Hardaker will miss out.

Gale was awful in every aspect tonight, poor control of his team, terrible kicking game, falling out with his own team mates and losing his composure under pressure from Rhino’s players

Mc’Meekin was totally anonymous and seemed to be incapable of arresting Leeds forward momentum and turning it back in Castlefords favour.

Eden reverted back to his rocks & diamonds form

McShane was poor and showed his uglier side when milking a penalty early on

I know they were all part of a poor team performance but based on Wayne Bennett’s comments last year when he stated that at least one player had played themselves out of the England team, I think we might see some surprisingl omissions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Only thing that would influence is injuries. The coach will have picked his preferred team squad already before the game and just awaiting for final game to ring around the selected players and then announce.

You’d think so but as I’ve said in my original post Bennett stated this time last year that at least one players Grand Final performance had played him out of the England squad.

Just now, OMEGA said:

You’d think so but as I’ve said in my original post Bennett stated this time last year that at least one players Grand Final performance had played him out of the England squad.

fair comment then,,, but it surprises me that for world cup he would take same approach,,, but then maybe yer right

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Alarming performances from a couple of potential England World Cup players in tonight’s Grand Final.

Obviously Hardaker will miss out.

Gale was awful in every aspect tonight, poor control of his team, terrible kicking game, falling out with his own team mates and losing his composure under pressure from Rhino’s players

Mc’Meekin was totally anonymous and seemed to be incapable of arresting Leeds forward momentum and turning it back in Castlefords favour.

Eden reverted back to his rocks & diamonds form

McShane was poor and showed his uglier side when milking a penalty early on

I know they were all part of a poor team performance but based on Wayne Bennett’s comments last year when he stated that at least one player had played themselves out of the England team, I think we might see some surprisingl omissions.

So basically drop all the Cas players.

Thinking about it, I could not argue with that on tonight’s performance.??

8 minutes ago, meast said:

You can't drop players from a squad that hasn't been picked yet.

Personally, i think only Gale and McMeeken are worth a place.

Yeah but you probably think Brough should be in.??

I am concerned if England have to rely on Gale. Simply not international class.

Thinking of the way Roby played last week, McShane did himself no favours.

Eden was never really in the picture. Bennett knows him too well.Gale looked lost and although in the squad I would be surprised if he started. His kicking game was rank poor. 

Weren't Cas just shocking , the game was a poor advert for our game compared to the Aussie GF last week. It was like watching a different sport. 

IMHO our chances of winning the World Cup are zero.

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

Gale looked lost and although in the squad I would be surprised if he started. 

Roby should a certain selection after his performances. 

Gale looked lost as his forward pack got mullered and his other half back partner was horrific. I’d still take Gale, McMeeken and Shenton.

23 minutes ago, Colly said:

Eden was never really in the picture. Bennett knows him too well.Gale looked lost and although in the squad I would be surprised if he started. His kicking game was rank poor. 

Weren't Cas just shocking , the game was a poor advert for our game compared to the Aussie GF last week. It was like watching a different sport. 

IMHO our chances of winning the World Cup are zero.

The game tonight wasn't great, but then again the NRL GF last week was hardly one for the ages.

The Aussie version was probably the most boring in the last 10 years.

Blimey - Cas were awful but are we really writing off the Man of Steel due to one bad game behind a badly beaten pack?

Billy Slater lost Australia the World Cup a few years back - that is a bigger game than the Grand Final.  I suspect he will be playing for Australia in the next World Cup final 

(not suggesting that Gale is world class like Slater but the point is the same)

If England play like Cas did last night, we could have Cronk and Thurston in the halves and we would not win (if both were fit and English which sadly they are not)

10 hours ago, Davc1h said:

Yeah but you probably think Brough should be in.??

I am concerned if England have to rely on Gale. Simply not international class.

Why would you think that? where have i mentioned Brough?

I agree about Gale, he's had a great season but didn't turn up at all last night, but unfortunately there isn't many other options right now.

7 minutes ago, meast said:

Why would you think that? where have i mentioned Brough?

I agree about Gale, he's had a great season but didn't turn up at all last night, but unfortunately there isn't many other options right now.

Just a leg pull mate.???

Agree about the lack of options too.??

Maybe it is back to Matty Smith.?

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Which Warrington player was that?   Don’t remember the comment from Bennett at the time but didn’t Hill and Clarke play in the Internationals last autumn?   Can’t think of any other England internationals playing for us in the GF unless it was a Wigan player?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

You can say it was one game and he's man of steel but ultimately he went missing in a big game. It's all well and good bossing it in games that effectively don't matter but we've got a problem from an England perspective. You  can't pick Smith/Williams/Brown in the halves on this season's form but you've got a 7 who melted under the pressure so what is the better option? Pick a half back who has had a worse season but a proven track record of winning big games or pick a player who's had a better season but folded in a big game?

Archived