England Squad Named

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I am not sure if you were serious or being ironic?

Heighington is 35 almost 36 and has only scored a handful of trys in the last 6 or 7 years. He is certainly not a fast running 2nd rower anymore.

The omission of Ward is a huge mistake. Currie is a serious talent but he has no form in the book this year and not much big game experience either; a losing cup final i think. We are also taking a leap of faith he can  rediscover his pace and power (the one element which makes him stand out) after such a terrible knee injury.

I do not object to Currie being in the squad, far from it, but after Ward and certainly before Heighington.

Ward is not the most prolific attacking 2nd rower in the league nor is he the toughest defender but i cannot think of one player who is as good at both.

Ward was the best forward on the park on Saturday and he has such a huge desire to play, I feel really sorry for him. He has plenty of big game experience in the book unlike others chosen before him.

On his day Liam Farrell is exceptional too. I don't particularly like him but he has to be better than McMeeken and the past it Heighington.

Heighington is actually 34, he will be 35 next year.

He has two tries from four Tests for England

I do not think he should have been picked by the way.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Personally think he'll go with Gale and Widdop. 

Williams is a great talent and the future for England's halves, but he lacks a bit of discipline, which at this level is punished. Will be handy to have coming off the bench though, with a tiring defence.

Dont think they'll be any great change from what we saw from England last time out.

looking forward to seeing Currie get some game time in an England  jersey. Disappointed Shenton and Ward didn't make the squad though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

59 minutes ago, RL is the future said:

Ah but remember, Greg is the "English Billy Slater" :shout: where did that ever come from originally? 

Nathan Brown when Eden played for Huddersfield

Tbf what he said was "has the potential to be". 

Just now, Dave T said:

Not really anything to do with Makinson, but why would you assume that?

Is it not?

You claim that Makinson's injury record makes him far from a certainty, yet have nothing to say about a player only 3 games back in who has received a call up.

Why is that?

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Is it not?

You claim that Makinson's injury record makes him far from a certainty, yet have nothing to say about a player only 3 games back in who has received a call up.

Why is that?

No. I claimed Makinsons try scoring record means he is not the answer to our three quarter challenges. You then rightly highlighted he has been injured for large parts of it, but he has still only scored 5 tries in 23 games this season.

Makinson scores some nice tries with a key strengtg his acrobatic finishes. But he hasnt been doing them for a while now.

Imo there are a few other wingers mentioned I would be happy to see ahead of Makinson.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. I claimed Makinsons try scoring record means he is not the answer to our three quarter challenges. You then rightly highlighted he has been injured for large parts of it, but he has still only scored 5 tries in 23 games this season.

Makinson scores some nice tries with a key strengtg his acrobatic finishes. But he hasnt been doing them for a while now.

Imo there are a few other wingers mentioned I would be happy to see ahead of Makinson.

But very few of them that could do a more than capable job of playing Full Back, which is potentially a hugely problematic position based upon the make-up of that squad.

His choice of three-quarters is a mess.

I can live with the number of centres he's picked as I think he will play Currie there. Although I do think Shentons unlucky to miss out. We are definitely a winger/fullback short. I'd say Makinson would've been a good shout as although he's not prolific he's as close in style to the two that Bennetts picked. So there wouldn't need to be any change to accommodate him. He's surprisingly strong in defense and makes good yards on kick returns very often bumping off much bigger players. With the lightweight fullbacks we've got it's important our wingers win the floor on kick returns. 

I think makinson would have been a credible addition to the squad. I think his try scoring ability is still there, I just think the way St Helens have performed this season and the style of play they've played has negated makinsons chances of scoring tries. 

20 hours ago, Spidey said:

I read somewhere (can't remember exactly) that Bennett had his four assistants send him their own 24-man squads then he collated and had the final say. Don't know how much influence the assistants had over him

I reckon they held a gun to his head!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

49 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If we are short of a natural FB why hasn't a natural FB been picked?  

Ratchford can do a good job, but what gains will he make on kick returns, compared to others with more speed?

Both Ratchford and Lomax are fullbacks who can play elsewhere. They are as much fullbacks as Tomkins and Hardaker who started elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

But very few of them that could do a more than capable job of playing Full Back, which is potentially a hugely problematic position based upon the make-up of that squad.

His choice of three-quarters is a mess.

I think when you breakdown the squad there aint too much to complain about with a first 17. 

Fullback - Lomax was his fullback last year and Ratchford in mid-season, Hardaker would have been there. Im not sure we need more than 2 fbs in the squad particularly as Widdopp is a 3rd option.

Three quarters are sound first choice players, even if Hall isnt at his peak.

Halves of Widdopp and Williams/Gale - no issues.

Props of Graham, Burgess, Hill and Walmsley or Taylor. No probs.

2nd row of Burgess and Whitehead

Loose of OLoughlin.

That is a good team.

We are getting too bogged down in the fringe players, and whilst i do think we are a natural winger short I think it is clear he has gone for Bateman and Currie as reserve centre/backrow cover which is useful in a tournament.

Probably the only one I dont get is Brown who didnt shine last year for Eng, has been poor for Wire and is likely to be 4th choice half. Imho his place should have gone to a winger.

I think he has a very good 17, but he has taken some risks with the cover, if we are lucky and dont need wing cover then great, it could be a masterstroke, if not it could be an issue.

3 minutes ago, Ant said:

And Ratchford has shown up well at test level playing fullback before too. No complaints from me for his selection 

I am by no means a Ratchford fan, but he is a fullback and been on the fringes of the squad for a while and started tge last test. He isnt a surprise selection tbh.

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think when you breakdown the squad there aint too much to complain about with a first 17. 

Fullback - Lomax was his fullback last year and Ratchford in mid-season, Hardaker would have been there. Im not sure we need more than 2 fbs in the squad particularly as Widdopp is a 3rd option.

Three quarters are sound first choice players, even if Hall isnt at his peak.

Halves of Widdopp and Williams/Gale - no issues.

Props of Graham, Burgess, Hill and Walmsley or Taylor. No probs.

2nd row of Burgess and Whitehead

Loose of OLoughlin.

That is a good team.

We are getting too bogged down in the fringe players, and whilst i do think we are a natural winger short I think it is clear he has gone for Bateman and Currie as reserve centre/backrow cover which is useful in a tournament.

Probably the only one I dont get is Brown who didnt shine last year for Eng, has been poor for Wire and is likely to be 4th choice half. Imho his place should have gone to a winger.

I think he has a very good 17, but he has taken some risks with the cover, if we are lucky and dont need wing cover then great, it could be a masterstroke, if not it could be an issue.

Spot on with this summary

On 09/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, Jim Prendle said:

Then I have no idea why hasn't been chosen. I suppose the thing is that he plays on the wing, and England coaches will still be rolling Ryan hall out in 30 years time, even if they have to put castors on him.

Would have loved to see Tommy makinson in that line up always impressive when I see him play. Thing point about Ryan Hall his record for England is second to none. Not had a great season but will never let anyone down.

Listening to Stevie ward on sky sports news now, he says other than his dislocated shoulder injury he would have been part of the England squad. He's not in the Wales squad either due to needing surgery and rehab.

a blow for him not being involved but he should be good to go for 2018, he's certainly a player for the future, at Leeds and England. 

Interesting who would have missed out if ward had been selected.

Apologies if this has already been stated but I've just heard Stevie Ward (on SkySports News) say that he would've been in the England squad if it wasn't for the shoulder injury. He's going to need some recovery during pre-season. He also spoke well and honestly about his mental health issues.

1 minute ago, usain bolt said:

Listening to Stevie ward on sky sports news now, he says other than his dislocated shoulder injury he would have been part of the England squad. He's not in the Wales squad either due to needing surgery and rehab.

a blow for him not being involved but he should be good to go for 2018, he's certainly a player for the future, at Leeds and England. 

Interesting who would have missed out if ward had been selected.

I thought it was strange how he mentioned Wales! Thought i misheard that but you heard it too.

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Both Ratchford and Lomax are fullbacks who can play elsewhere. They are as much fullbacks as Tomkins and Hardaker who started elsewhere.

They are also both exactly the type of fullback that Bennett likes (or at least seems to); ball handlers. Shaul is very dynamic and eats up metres in space but he won’t get that against any of our main rivals. You need someone who can work with the halves and hooker to unlock a defence; both Lomax and Ratchford have that skill set.

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Backs do not have enough points in them to get further than the Semi's IMO

I disagree. The backs will score points but they need the forwards to lay the platform. The forwards have always failed to deliver against the Aussies since 2006 and at times have failed to live up to expectations against the Kiwis. If they can lead, there’s pace, skill and quality in our first choice backline to score points. 

Archived