• Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Lebanon by 1 to 6 points
    • Lebanon by 7 to 12 points
    • Lebanon by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Johnson, Rapana, Whare and RTS would all make the squad. Takairangi and Nikorima wouldn’t look out of place either. 

I’d say they are all good enough for Australia except maybe Watene-Zelezniak, and he can be good on his day too. 

Takairangi & Nikorima would be nowhere near, they are only just getting established in their Club teams.

RTS over Slater?

Johnson? he is very hot and cold, more cold often.

I think all of them would struggle to make the squad and none would make the run on side.

Just my opinion though.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scubby said:

I'm not saying they are anywhere near as good as Australia. You are looking at Australia winning perhaps 7 of every 10 encounters maybe even 8. However, I was extremely impressed with NZ in that first half. They fell to pieces after half time but their style of play will really trouble Australia as will Tonga's potentially.

Maybe.

I don' think Australia have shown their hand yet.

I doubt the Australian forwards are going to let the Kiwi or Tonga's backs see much ball their halve backs will be shut down IMO

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

56 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Look at his stats in recent games against us; only Graham ever matches him. 

Stats tell part of a story. Yardage stats might point to work rate and tackle stats might point to being around the ruck often, but they don't define the impact of a certain tackle or run. I prefer to use a range of other factors to quantify the quality of a performance.

Australia were poor and the score flattered them. Take out Cronk, Smith, Slater and Munster and Australia look very average. Maloney is average and offers nothing. Morgan has not Impressed so far. Cronk and Munster look far more dangerous. Hunt did nothing. Forwards run Hard but have not the excitement or danger that Taumalolo offers. 

For a game in Sydney against Lebanon in an alleged heartland and not able to get close to a sell out at a 45k stadium, is poor. The Ref made some Strange decisions and didnt help the game Flow. The Refs, especially English, come across as old school  headmasters Telling players off.  

Mal’s not happy with Childs!

We have to put up with his over officiating all bleedin season!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-unconvincing-in-world-cup-win-over-lebanon/news-story/b9b1923c9d51c7b2da38f81b582195e5

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

14 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-unconvincing-in-world-cup-win-over-lebanon/news-story/b9b1923c9d51c7b2da38f81b582195e5

I really think how hypocritical it is that they call us whinging while all my life anytime the Aussies lose or perform badly whether it's Rugby, Tennis, Cricket or whatever. Is always someone else's fault.

Aussies looked to be nicely unravelling. Hard to believe they watched Lebanon's performance against us as they fell for the same tricks we did. I have never known a more complacent team and nation in my many years of watching sport. They are a Billy Slater injury away from crashing and burning. 

3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I really think how hypocritical it is that they call us whinging while all my life anytime the Aussies lose or perform badly whether it's Rugby, Tennis, Cricket or whatever. Is always someone else's fault.

Absolutely hundred percent spot on . And as I say they just don’t do irony !

3 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

Phase 1 of the bid to get Aussie referees and VR for the big games (semi finals and final). Watch it crank up in the coming week or so to phase 2. This is not a new phenomenon. 

Spluttering stuff from Aussies , they look far from bullet proof right now . Must say I’ve never really seen the hyperbole around Maloney , Cronulla must be well chuffed . I’m stunned he’s even in the kangaroo squad looking at the halves talent in the NRL . 

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga was left frustrated by the officiating of England referee James Child.

“One of the slowest games I’ve seen for a while — 21 penalties, a lot of stoppages,” Meninga said. “We want to see a good game of rugby league. We want to be allowed to play a lot more. We had three penalties in the first game against England :lol: and not many last week. All of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things both teams were getting away with.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga was left frustrated by the officiating of England referee James Child.

“One of the slowest games I’ve seen for a while — 21 penalties, a lot of stoppages,” Meninga said. “We want to see a good game of rugby league. We want to be allowed to play a lot more. We had three penalties in the first game against England :lol: and not many last week. All of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things both teams were getting away with.

Give us Cecchin or Sutton coz I says 

He is right to a large degree. Sadly the anti aussie Brigade miss the point he is saying. There is no consistancy in the Refs decision made. The English Refs are blowing for everything and the Aussies for very little. Where is the Balance?  One ref blows for a penalty and another its play on. Its Frustrating. How Refs ref a game is deciding how a game is played and at times who wins both at this WC and at domestic Level. That needs sorting!

Tony Archer is useless. He should be making sure first we have neutral refs and second we have a more constant reffing of games. The Interpretation of things from Ref to Ref is vastly different. Why?

The game needs one Set of rules. This one Set of rules for Internationals and another for NRL and another for elsewhere is a joke. The game keeps shooting itself in the football from different rules and Interpretation to no neutral refs. 

3 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

He is right to a large degree. Sadly the anti aussie Brigade miss the point he is saying. There is no consistancy in the Refs decision made. The English Refs are blowing for everything and the Aussies for very little. Where is the Balance?  One ref blows for a penalty and another its play on. Its Frustrating. How Refs ref a game is deciding how a game is played and at times who wins both at this WC and at domestic Level. That needs sorting!

Tony Archer is useless. He should be making sure first we have neutral refs and second we have a more constant reffing of games. The Interpretation of things from Ref to Ref is vastly different. Why?

The game needs one Set of rules. This one Set of rules for Internationals and another for NRL and another for elsewhere is a joke. The game keeps shooting itself in the football from different rules and Interpretation to no neutral refs. 

I would argue that the players may be trying it on more with an English ref thinking they will blow. Not entirely the problem but it can impact. Some of the players were speaking very differently to Child today compared with NRL refs.

Why is Bentham being used so sparingly? He is the most experienced ref

5 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

The BBC highlights programme didn't show this game or Fiji. Is there anywhere I can watch them? 

Edit wait sorry, found some highlights on YouTube ?

They didn't show the game involving the World champions - the best Rugby team in the World?  A team we may well have to beat in the final to take the trophy?  Absolutely ridiculous.

I think there is still a lot to come from Australia and they are playing within themselves.  I hope not and i hope they have a massive off day against the Kiwis and get knocked out but i still think they will be too good.

13 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

They didn't show the game involving the World champions - the best Rugby team in the World?  A team we may well have to beat in the final to take the trophy?  Absolutely ridiculous.

I think there is still a lot to come from Australia and they are playing within themselves.  I hope not and i hope they have a massive off day against the Kiwis and get knocked out but i still think they will be too good.

Could you imagine it in any other sport? Final round of group stages and they ignore 2 of 4 matches in their highlights show which has already been cut drastically.

20 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

Yep - anybody writing the Aussies off is being a bit silly tbh.

Still hot favourites.

18 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

To have more consistent referring you need them to apply the rules... otherwise the alternative is to say keep things flowing and hence be subjective how you apply the rules - that leads to inconsistency.

That is the problem. To have it subjective means ignoring certain offences... that leaves it open to letting penalties go and for players/coaches taking advantage.

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

To have more consistent referring you need them to apply the rules... otherwise the alternative is to say keep things flowing and hence be subjective how you apply the rules - that leads to inconsistency.

That is the problem. To have it subjective means ignoring certain offences... that leaves it open to letting penalties go and for players/coaches taking advantage.

Totally agree. An infringement has to be dealt with whether the flow is affected or not. The Aussies have looked a bit flat and Mal needs to look within the team to improve things, not make out its the officials fault. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived