Football is about dreams , RL ?

GUBRATS

Moaning about the quality of the pie and peas!

More seriously, we can dream in RL too; Castleford dared to - good for them!

I know what I would like rugby league to be about, but I am not sure we can achieve it. I want global domination, and I want people to see that soccer isn't really that good. That said, I think rugby league is pretty boring compared to the game I grew up watching. It seems to be all one up rugby, and all the skills been taken out. 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Football is about dreams according to Burnley manager Sean Dyche , so what is RL about ? 

Equality, family, women, children, men, community.  Give me RL over a sport that's an ugly testosterone-fuelled tribal sausage-fest off the pitch and hit and miss on the pitch any day. 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Football is about dreams according to Burnley manager Sean Dyche , so what is RL about ? 

Rose-tinted nostalgia, combined with wildly un-costed plans for the future of both the club and international game.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Equality, family, women, children, men, community.  Give me RL over a sport that's an ugly testosterone-fuelled tribal sausage-fest off the pitch and hit and miss on the pitch any day. 

Football is still the most appealing sport to watch and play. It has all the things you mention and more; it has has had significant problems with three of those but has done well to deal with them. If it was truly hit and miss on the pitch, hardly anybody would be attending matches or watching it on tv.

4 minutes ago, dhw said:

Football is still the most appealing sport to watch and play. It has all the things you mention and more; it has has had significant problems with three of those but has done well to deal with them. If it was truly hit and miss on the pitch, hardly anybody would be attending matches or watching it on tv.

That's not really how the popularity of football codes works.  It is very hit and miss on the pitch and watch match of the day if you don't think the crowds are still dominated by angry middle aged men.

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Little Burnley turned over £80m in 2016 and will get close to £100m this year. That is 7 x higher than Leeds Rhinos and around 20 x higher than the likes of Castleford, Wakefield and Salford. In fact it is probably higher than the whole turnover of 12 SL clubs.

Let's not pretend football is about anything other than money.

Football is about long periods of boredom with the occasional moment of quality/drama. It's about acting like overgrown children instead of men. It's about pain and anguish in defeat. It's about soap operas and fans who are violent and suffere from severe emotional retardation. And most of all at pro level it's about money. (Still love lower league though)

RL is about whining about union, whining about crowds, regionalist snobbery, slagging off referees, eating pies, drama, high class action, thrills, spills, fights, floodlights and cold nights. Constant bragging about itself as the greatest game in the world even though a lot of people disagree, they're simply WRONG. (still love it most of all)

Maybe Rugby League is actually about being unpleasantly condescending to those people who really, genuinely love Football?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I think you mean Super Greed.

No, $up€r Gr€€d. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Little Burnley turned over £80m in 2016 and will get close to £100m this year. That is 7 x higher than Leeds Rhinos and around 20 x higher than the likes of Castleford, Wakefield and Salford. In fact it is probably higher than the whole turnover of 12 SL clubs.

Let's not pretend football is about anything other than money.

99% of that though would be from Sky tv. I doubt their own turnover is much more than the Rhinos. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe Rugby League is actually about being unpleasantly condescending to those people who really, genuinely love Football?

The thing is football is the most inclusive sport in the UK by far. It would be great if RL could appeal to more backgrounds. 

Just now, Scubby said:

Burnley turn over £1m outside TV money? Averaging over 20,000 spectators per game?

Probably about £10m I'd say. There was a graph somewhere that showed PL clubs' income outside of Sky tv and it was very small, bar the big clubs. Most would be in serious financial issues if Sky ever went bust. 

Serious financial isues if Sky ever went bust. Unlike our code.???

If Sky did ever go bust, the reins would be tsken up immediately. Sku money doesnt go to clubs in Spain, Germany, Italy, Turkey, etc etc

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Rugby League not about soccer.

50 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

No, $up€r Gr€€d. ;) 

No: $uper dup€r gr€€d. They make you sick, they are a joke, a laughing stock and they have sold this once great game of ours down the river. I've been a fan for ninety years so I know.

Archived