Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manxmanc

New York bid for 2020

Recommended Posts

Perhaps as expected as time has elapsed, this article on the NRL website confirms that the target is now for a 2020 entry into the UK competition. I don't know how to read the Shaun Johnson involvement, but at the very least it attracts publicity and the bid is definitely on.

Edited by Manxmanc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading says SL in 2020.

Based on what’s been discussed already, I’m reading it as acceptance by July for the 2019 championship and then Super League in 2020 after they sweep aside all-comers. But yes, it’s a little confusing that they don’t mention 2019.

Good to see some activity - feels like a while since the last updates.

Edited by jenson
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article seems to acknowledge that there were a couple of issues that needed ironing out, but there is no suggestion of anything major.

Perhaps the most encouraging section of the article is the reference to the building their own training facility.

 

Edited by Manxmanc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I hope this dosen't keep the South Leeds visionary up all night consulting his book of "facts".

I cannot accept this vile attempt to disparage the Beano Book of Rugby League 1972! This is not just a tome for your amusement people, if I can call you that after these remarks, but a Bible, a holy book of everything righteous and  true. A foreword by Alex Murphy (in his pomp!) written by Eddie Waring (before his demise) and contributions from Eric Clay, Robin "Whistling" Whitfield, (before sending someone off) Maurice Bamford (after a night out) and the article on the rise and rise of Bradford Northern are a blueprint for how the Modern game should be played and how to market and expand TGG across the globe.

Along with the Ladybird Book of Rugby League Modern Coaching by Griff Jenkins the above should be compulsory bedtime reading for all those recalcitrant types all too willing to criticize and moan about icons, and architects of forum debate.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

“I would!”     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Sounds like waffle to push the RFL for a decision to me.

if/when they can confirm their team name, sponsor/s, where they will train, business/marketing plans and their long term goal (which I believe would be to be apart of a North American professional League) I have no doubt they'd be accepted but until then they are just playing fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Perhaps as expected as time has elapsed, this article on the NRL website confirms that the target is now for a 2020 entry into the UK competition. I don't know how to read the Shaun Johnson involvement, but at the very least it attracts publicity and the bid is definitely on.

Parky's head will explode when he reads the this

15 hours ago, yipyee said:

Some super league clubs have been building new grounds for years 

20 years now we've been waiting for Wakey's new ground

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, StadiumXIII said:

if/when they can confirm their team name, sponsor/s, where they will train, business/marketing plans and their long term goal (which I believe would be to be apart of a North American professional League) I have no doubt they'd be accepted but until then they are just playing fantasy.

They have to replace Oxford n All Golds. This alleged Bristol team is a non starter next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the lack of news on any new clubs it would seem unlikely there will be any new teams next year. I'd have thought any new clubs would have secured a stadium and be looking for sponsors etc. by now. They also have less than 6 months before they need to start thinking of signing players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Based on the lack of news on any new clubs it would seem unlikely there will be any new teams next year. I'd have thought any new clubs would have secured a stadium and be looking for sponsors etc. by now. They also have less than 6 months before they need to start thinking of signing players. 

More than likely the RFL is too consumed with trying to work out how they'll handle the very plausible scenario that the 4 teams to get through the Qualifying 8s this year will be Catalans, Toronto, Toulouse and London to give any attention to the further headaches which New York et al would give them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

More than likely the RFL is too consumed with trying to work out how they'll handle the very plausible scenario that the 4 teams to get through the Qualifying 8s this year will be Catalans, Toronto, Toulouse and London to give any attention to the further headaches which New York et al would give them.

I believe the top teams in the Championship are better than ever, but it is still a big ask to beat the SL teams.

I would think that, at most, one SL team would be relegated this year. That could be Huddersfield or Catalans right now, but these teams will know their situation. They will recruit before the 8s and make sure players are rested and ready to go.

The current format was supposed to make every game meaningful, but for team in the bottom 4, sooner or later they will be resigned to their fate and be resting for the 8s. That is a big problem with the current structure.

It will be a huge achievement for any of the Championship teams to break in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Parky's head will explode when he reads the this

Why? It's pure filler for a website's "news" page needing anything they can think of to sensationalise things and keep the interest up. It's based on Wilby's fantasy. Easy for any journo to get this from Wilby because he isn't going to say anything else other than his project is still rolling on, but just erm......... a little late.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:46 PM, SL17 said:

Sounds like waffle to push the RFL for a decision to me.

The RFL do not automatically make the decision here. Why do you repeat this? Nigel Wood was sent there after he resigned from the RFL, and has apparently finished there having given NY some pointers. So neither Lenegan nor Rimmer appear to have gone anywhere near this club or bid. If the idea is that New York are aiming to be a Superleague club whether they will or not is in the hands of the Superleague clubs themselves, as they run Superleague. 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, jenson said:

Heading says SL in 2020.Based on what’s been discussed already, I’m reading it as acceptance by July for the 2019 championship and then Super League in 2020

Good to see some activity - feels like a while since the last updates.

Well you are the epitomy of the star struck Transatlantic dreamer reading every little bit of bluff and bluster as a new future for the game involving massive investment across the Northern Hemisphere.  What "activity" what "update"? You don't expect Wilby to announce his own downfall do you? Perez's mouth went mute the moment Rimmer hinted no guarantee of SL for TWP.

The big problem here was Perez was allowed by all and sundry in the game  to sound off about what he was and wasn't going to do for RL, and now he's gone, Wilby is left taking up that role of being the future prophet for the game, and you eager "expansionists" of the magic type continue to lap it up.

Why the lack of comment or analysis from all those who normally pick up on RL events and news and sensibly digest analyse and discuss the relative pro's and con's?? Why are the likes of Perez and Wilby given free reign in the press to decide the games future themselves unchallenged while Rimmer and Lenegan stay tight lipped is an important question.

I believe that the answer is to come out and squash this nonsense will only attract very bad publicity for the game, it will attract condemnation of those who run it as dinosaurs (as opposed to sensible businessmen who strive for real growth not fantasies). The game cannot afford this bad publicity and cannot go into print refusing what too many see as a glorious future for Rugby League. That condemnation will surely start here if TWP win the MPG and Rimmer whispered "sorry lads".

Edited by The Parksider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parksider, will Toronto win promotion is one matter, if they do there is no way Rimmer will stop it, he may be against it but lacks any power, the clubs will decide as you have previously wrote and would back it. It would be more of a question if they would allow Catalan to be relegated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parksider - Why has Toronto signed quality players like Gareth O’Brien, Darcy Lussick, Chase Stanley et al (on what must be good money) since Rimmer supposedly told them they won’t be able to join Super League?

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Parksider - Why has Toronto signed quality players like Gareth O’Brien, Darcy Lussick, Chase Stanley et al (on what must be good money) since Rimmer supposedly told them they won’t be able to join Super League?

Because Ian Lenegan said it was okay ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ojx said:

I believe the top teams in the Championship are better than ever, but it is still a big ask to beat the SL teams.

I would think that, at most, one SL team would be relegated this year. That could be Huddersfield or Catalans right now, but these teams will know their situation. They will recruit before the 8s and make sure players are rested and ready to go.

The current format was supposed to make every game meaningful, but for team in the bottom 4, sooner or later they will be resigned to their fate and be resting for the 8s. That is a big problem with the current structure.

It will be a huge achievement for any of the Championship teams to break in. 

This year's Qualifiers will be different though.  Of the 28 matches, very possibly 8 will be in France, 4 in Canada and 3 in London and that could narrow the gap and give the Championship teams a real shot.  We'll see how it pans out, but that scenario could make traditionalists very nervous especially if New York, Boston, etc. are coming along behind Toronto and Toulouse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian 'tight lips' Lenegan, who hasnt gone near and wont mention the NY bid, Toronto in SL or international expansion

“Super League will be an international competition in five years’ time,” Lenagan said.

“I believe at that time, as well as the English clubs, we’ll have Toulouse, we’ll have Perpignan, we’ll have Toronto, we’ll probably have New York within that time scale...

“Who knows, if the NRL don’t do something about [expansion with] Perth, with a single flight back to England it wouldn’t at all surprise me if they became interested in playing in a competition of that scale.”

 

 

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Ian 'tight lips' Lenegan, who hasnt gone near and wont mention the NY bid, Toronto in SL or international expansion

“Super League will be an international competition in five years’ time,” Lenagan said.

“I believe at that time, as well as the English clubs, we’ll have Toulouse, we’ll have Perpignan, we’ll have Toronto, we’ll probably have New York within that time scale...

“Who knows, if the NRL don’t do something about [expansion with] Perth, with a single flight back to England it wouldn’t at all surprise me if they became interested in playing in a competition of that scale.”

 

 

Yes, and the new RFL CEO will have a remit to expand the game outside the heartlands, according to the this extract from the candidate brief.       (Deadline for applications was yesterday, 27/4, by the way)

"The RFL is looking to appoint a new Chief Executive following the decision by Nigel Wood to step down after 10 years in the role and 16 years on the Board. Under his leadership, the league expanded in size and geographical scope and on-field development saw the men’s team reach a World Cup final in 2017 for the first time in 22 years.

His successor will build on this legacy as the sport looks ahead to hosting a domestic World Cup in 2021 and an opportunity to expand the game beyond core markets via a World Cup in North America in 2025. It will be the first time the tournament has been held outside Europe and Australasia."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Ian 'tight lips' Lenegan, who hasnt gone near and wont mention the NY bid, Toronto in SL or international expansion

“Super League will be an international competition in five years’ time,” Lenagan said.

“I believe at that time, as well as the English clubs, we’ll have Toulouse, we’ll have Perpignan, we’ll have Toronto, we’ll probably have New York within that time scale...

“Who knows, if the NRL don’t do something about [expansion with] Perth, with a single flight back to England it wouldn’t at all surprise me if they became interested in playing in a competition of that scale.”

This was the throwaway big talk from Lenegan used to whip up interest in his Wigan.v.Hull game in Australia by taunting the insular Aussies. His last sentence clearly gives the game away. Does your  naivety now lead you to be wondering whether Nigel Wood has checked out Perth’s application yet, and are they to join us in 2020? If Lenegan had been serious Toronto would not have been warned about no automatic entry to SL, We’d have had the news that Mr. Wood had OK’d New York by now, and Mr. Perez would be mouthing off about Hamilton and Boston. But let’s not discuss what doesn’t suit your fantasy agenda.

Lenegan’s next sojourn is the Denver test, and he will sit next to Mr. Moore whose take on the Transatlantic league is “At the end of the day we’re taking players around the world to play in one game, You don’t want to be doing that every day of the week because you’ll burn players out”. His comment  on the Perez plan was “They have a strategy and a structure and an idea that is not the one I have”.

Seizing on one throwaway comment about a “World League” is a bit of a fantasy. I recall your other fantasy ideas of Championship clubs becoming “A” teams for Superleague clubs, and Kallum Watkins to be paid megabucks and be promoted as a superstar because the quid pro quo would be the sale of thousands of replica Leeds shirts in the name of Watkins. He then ran out of form.

Anyway if your next outlandish idea is a Superleague of Perth, TWP, Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto, Boston and Hamilton sometime soon maybe you would for once discuss what happens to (1) the six relegated English Superleague clubs, (2) their academies which produce players (3)  50,000 disenfranchised English SL fans, and (4) SKY who were not even interested in Catalans??

Over to you??

18 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Yes, and the new RFL CEO will have a remit to expand the game outside the heartlands

This is true. Newcastle and Bristol spring to my realistic mind. But for those who want to demolish Superleague so they can see Superleague players sent to play for Perth, New York, Antartica, and the Planet Mars RLFC, you may be a tad more ambitious than me. This is to your credit.

Edited by The Parksider
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

This is true. Newcastle and Bristol spring to my realistic mind. But for those who want to demolish Superleague so they can see Superleague players sent to play for Perth, New York, Antartica, and the Planet Moon RLFC, you may be a tad more ambitious than me. This is to your credit.

 

 

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with me. Just to clarify, I'm not one of the applicants for the CEO position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

This was the throwaway big talk from Lenegan used to whip up interest in his Wigan.v.Hull game in Australia by taunting the insular Aussies. His last sentence clearly gives the game away. Does your  naivety now lead you to be wondering whether Nigel Wood has checked out Perth’s application yet, and are they to join us in 2020? If Lenegan had been serious Toronto would not have been warned about no automatic entry to SL, We’d have had the news that Mr. Wood had OK’d New York by now, and Mr. Perez would be mouthing off about Hamilton and Boston. But let’s not discuss what doesn’t suit your fantasy agenda.

Lenegan’s next sojourn is the Denver test, and he will sit next to Mr. Moore whose take on the Transatlantic league is “At the end of the day we’re taking players around the world to play in one game, You don’t want to be doing that every day of the week because you’ll burn players out”. His comment  on the Perez plan was “They have a strategy and a structure and an idea that is not the one I have”.

Seizing on one throwaway comment about a “World League” is a bit of a fantasy. I recall your other fantasy ideas of Championship clubs becoming “A” teams for Superleague clubs, and Kallum Watkins to be paid megabucks and be promoted as a superstar because the quid pro quo would be the sale of thousands of replica Leeds shirts in the name of Watkins. He then ran out of form.

Anyway if your next outlandish idea is a Superleague of Perth, TWP, Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto, Boston and Hamilton sometime soon maybe you would for once discuss what happens to (1) the six relegated English Superleague clubs, (2) their academies which produce players (3)  50,000 disenfranchised English SL fans, and (4) SKY who were not even interested in Catalans??

Over to you??

This is true. Newcastle and Bristol spring to my realistic mind. But for those who want to demolish Superleague so they can see Superleague players sent to play for Perth, New York, Antartica, and the Planet Moon RLFC, you may be a tad more ambitious than me. This is to your credit.

When will you realise that your anti TWP/North American views are only your opinions and not the voice of reason you think you are.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...