Barrow nearly folded this week

At the moment, this has come as a shock to all Barrow supporters. And i'd like to thank posters on this site. it shows their love and support for the game. We will take in what has been said today. It's not a time for knee jerk reactions. Questions will be asked, I will be one asking, hopefully lessons will be learned ( How many times have we heard that?). If you actually take in the whole statement, we were in deeper trouble than anyone imagined. Directors included, but it seems we have a grip. We know what's needed. Guess? it's not all doom and gloom. To every problem there is a solution. We are a heartland club. I'll have a pop. The Rugby league are complicit in their silence other than issuing threats of closure. And they want to grow the game? We will not be the first club to bare our soul. We could be the first of many to issue a warning, although some have already indicated problems. We will survive, have no doubt about it but I do worry for others and the game. As our crest says..Semper Sursum  -  Ever Onward.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Super League clubs will increase their share of central funding, leaving some non-Super League clubs to, best case scenario, struggle. 

Protectionism. Short term thinking. It'll work for the Super League clubs for now but if the rapid growth doesn't occur, I sense that this may backfire.

46 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, sort of...

It seems like they overspent last season to try and get promoted, presumably on the hope that the increased central distribution from being in the Championship plus larger crowds would offset their playing contracts (many of 2-year contracts it seems) and pay off debts. 

Now, if I remember correctly, they edged Whitehaven in the promotion play offs - leaving Whitehaven down in League One with much reduced income, and we've seen how its gone for them this season haven't we? I'd be interested to see how Whitehaven fans feel about all this!

That's not to say Paul Crarey isn't a good coach, it appears (from afar) that he is. But, still...

Error Haven also overspent last season as well mate and that's why they are in a mess as well

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

And now our friends at the cougars .....sad sad state of affairs

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

If a strong Town Club  like Barrow who get over 1,000 watching then god help the rest of us who get 4-5-6 hundred , ive always thought Barrow were one of the strongest in the lower league ! The problem lies in the structure  , we used to have a production line , school , colts , A team  , 1st team  then if a real star emerged you,d get a big fat transfer fee, this kept us going at Hunslet for years, then along comes a Belgian footballer called Bosman  and that ruling has ruined sport including RL.  It looks to me when the likes of Dallimore ( who I really rate ) signed for Barrow he must have been on a fat 2 year deal and now they cant afford him .Hope they pull through , Barrow has always been one of my fav  grounds and away trips . 

watch this space if workington dont make the playoffs too , must have spent a bit this season and moi moi wont be cheap , i know some will say he is sponsored etc as others may also be but fail to go up or reach the playoffs and sponsors may walk , it happens so many times , the game is truly on its backside .

13 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

watch this space if workington dont make the playoffs too , must have spent a bit this season and moi moi wont be cheap , i know some will say he is sponsored etc as others may also be but fail to go up or reach the playoffs and sponsors may walk , it happens so many times , the game is truly on its backside .

Sorry this doesn't make sense. The game is on its backside because Workington have spent a bit this season and signed Moi Moi and banked on promotion and if they don't get it sponsors may walk? That sounds like bad management and putting all your eggs in the one basket to me not the game on its backside. 

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry this doesn't make sense. The game is on its backside because Workington have spent a bit this season and signed Moi Moi and banked on promotion and if they don't get it sponsors may walk? That sounds like bad management and putting all your eggs in the one basket to me not the game on its backside. 

agree mate , what I meant was having to rely on sponsors to pay decent players because of low crowds and lack of tv money etc shows how bad the situation is , teams are not going to progress on signing ex amateur locals at low cost but remaining in league 1 is also a frightening prospect lately .

6 hours ago, TMF said:

At the moment, this has come as a shock to all Barrow supporters. And i'd like to thank posters on this site. it shows their love and support for the game. We will take in what has been said today. It's not a time for knee jerk reactions. Questions will be asked, I will be one asking, hopefully lessons will be learned ( How many times have we heard that?). If you actually take in the whole statement, we were in deeper trouble than anyone imagined. Directors included, but it seems we have a grip. We know what's needed. Guess? it's not all doom and gloom. To every problem there is a solution. We are a heartland club. I'll have a pop. The Rugby league are complicit in their silence other than issuing threats of closure. And they want to grow the game? We will not be the first club to bare our soul. We could be the first of many to issue a warning, although some have already indicated problems. We will survive, have no doubt about it but I do worry for others and the game. As our crest says..Semper Sursum  -  Ever Onward.

Empathise with you. I really do.

Compared to many Barrow are a viable club. Crowds of 1000 plus, Commuity clubs. Junior teams. 

SL is not the be all and end all.

Guess the lesson is fans need more information about what is going on.

What levels of debt do we carry? Where do we want to be? What can we realistically achieve short, medium and long term? Could we ever run a full time squad (without a wealthy backer with all the risks that entails?)

There are only a small handful of clubs who can.

Or do we want to be the very best we can be right now and still be around in 100 years?

These are existential questions.

Am sure if directors and supporters were a little more communicative, and understanding of each other, things would be better.

I realise none of this helps much. But best wishes.

12 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

The games knackered,it really is.There just isn't enough fans following the game these days.Well that's my take on it.

Not enough fans following it, not enough players playing it, not enough businesses supporting it, not enough media taking an interest in it etc etc. As you say, with the possible exception of a handful of Super League clubs, the sport in this country looks like it's had it. Once one of the living-hand-to-mouth smaller clubs goes, I fear the rest will follow, domino-fashion.

9 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

And this from a haven fan who’s banned off the town forum for pretending he’s a town fan and stirring. Town have balanced their books for the last 2 seasons. It’s called running the club properly. 

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Not enough fans following it, not enough players playing it, not enough businesses supporting it, not enough media taking an interest in it etc etc. As you say, with the possible exception of a handful of Super League clubs, the sport in this country looks like it's had it. Once one of the living-hand-to-mouth smaller clubs goes, I fear the rest will follow, domino-fashion.

We have to get ready for this , without serious change we as a sport are going under; no one but ourselves gives a toss about RL

1 hour ago, notasdaftasilook said:

And this from a haven fan who’s banned off the town forum for pretending he’s a town fan and stirring. Town have balanced their books for the last 2 seasons. It’s called running the club properly. 

I was removed because of claims of being negative over big name fanfare signings and towns poor performance , but my comments on j foster , tansey , leatherbarrow etc were proven correct and town have improved since they have all been rid of . I was censored , fact .

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

My thoughts exactly. It's not a case of being negative,it's reality. When clubs are attracting crowds of only a few hundred no wonder they're struggling. I fear it's only a matter of time.

24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

All these clubs, who I do sympathise with, who are in financial bother and they think they should be key stakeholders in our game? 

Have you heard of a Tontine?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

32 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Have you heard of a Tontine?

All the members usually put money in to seed the fund before accessing an annuity. Becoming a popular form of retirement fund. 

What funds would these struggling  clubs be investing?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

13 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

??????

21 minutes ago, town4me said:

??????

Another foolish person who accused me of negativity but has been proven to be wrong , there are many on your forum who message me and said I was right all along in my criticism on pre season star signings and early poor performances and now a big turnaround since they have been ditched .

It's now obvious, if it wasn't before, the SL is indeed coming home to roost. The dash for expansion, which I agree with, and to hell with anybody who has a vote and stands in our way, which I obviously don't, seems to be Red Halls driving force. I've sometimes pondered if they have given themselves a window of time to achieve this aim. Say 5/10 years, starting from a couple of seasons ago? This would fit nicely with their move to Emirates. And if it doesn't work, well, their's always talks with the RU. 

4 hours ago, Manx RL said:

All the members usually put money in to seed the fund before accessing an annuity. Becoming a popular form of retirement fund. 

What funds would these struggling  clubs be investing?

Almost. Only the sole surviving member gets the payout. I'm sure that you get my drift.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived