NSW announces they will bid for 2029 World Cup

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 2017 I'd prefer to see Australia bypassed and a "Pacific" hosted World Cup. Games spread between NZ, PNG, Fiji mainly with Tonga, Samoa, New Caledonia, Hawaii etc options for one off games if feasible/practical.

It may not be the biggest money spinner, but would sure be well received in these nations. Then again Australia didn't deliver on the profit they garuenteed in 2017 either.

2033 hopefully in France (100 years) would fit well too for the record.

18 minutes ago, Copa said:

They are getting in early!

Doesn’t look like they plan to share it either.

https://thewomensgame.com/news/womens-sport-the-focus-in-nsw-government-announcement-498896

Is it just the women’s RLWC? Positive news for women’s game if they start to build a property that can sell in its own right.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

31 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Is it just the women’s RLWC? Positive news for women’s game if they start to build a property that can sell in its own right.

It's the actual world cup...but the women's world cup will be included.."festival of world cups" and all that...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Just now, scotchy1 said:

I think the idea would be that holding it in one place geographically will concentrate the benefits. 

NSW have the stadia and capacity to host the whole thing and having everyone in one place and not having to fly around means more people staying for longer spending more money. 

It probably makes some sense in Australia which is such a geographically disparate country which already has well established RL awareness.

I'm not sure it would make sense in the UK which is a much smaller country or the USA where it's impact would be severely limited by being rationalized. 

But crowds for internationals in Sydney have generally been poor and except for Newcastle and Wollongong, I'm not sure where else in NSW is realistic.

If in Australia, Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Brisbane, Townsville, Darwin, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide would be good shouts. Adelaide didn't get a game last time and they should be targeted by then for more RL games. No NZ or PNG, just in Australia.

Australians, particularly in NSW, have demonstrated that they are not interested in international RL. Until this attitude can be demonstrably shown to have changed they should have no chance of a world cup. I can see the follow up to this being that NSW are entering the competition rather than Australia.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

To be fair to NSW fans, they were largely ignored at the last World Cup and only received two Lebanon miss matches. The recent Pacific test had a crowd just shy of  18 thousand. There is also a large amount of expats in Sydney meaning that teams like NZ, Italy, France, Ireland, England and the Pacific teams could generate a sizeable following. Also journalists that had previously anti World Cup such as Paul Kent and Buzz Rothfield were one over and as recently as last night were discussing how good it was on NRL 360.

29 minutes ago, LaneCoveTiger said:

To be fair to NSW fans, they were largely ignored at the last World Cup and only received two Lebanon miss matches. The recent Pacific test had a crowd just shy of  18 thousand. There is also a large amount of expats in Sydney meaning that teams like NZ, Italy, France, Ireland, England and the Pacific teams could generate a sizeable following. Also journalists that had previously anti World Cup such as Paul Kent and Buzz Rothfield were one over and as recently as last night were discussing how good it was on NRL 360.

This was because the NSW government didn't bid for games (supposedly because they believed they didn't have to). Despite that they still got 2 of the top class fixtures (An Australia and an England game) and failed to sell abysmally.

Ironically the people who turn up best to watch international RL in NSW are people supporting teams that aren't Australia.

9 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I'd love a world cup in France.

Shows a definite need for a secondary international comp though. Clearly places are interested in hosting it but theybare having to bid 11 years out.

Has to be a French WC in 2054 surely? By then we hopefully will have seen a full French renaissance 100 years on with Toulon Avignon Paris & Lyon in a thriving European RL league.....oh hang on, is it 1998 again? I do believe in miracles but....

8 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

But crowds for internationals in Sydney have generally been poor and except for Newcastle and Wollongong, I'm not sure where else in NSW is realistic.

It’s a pretty big state is NSW!

Aside from the usual Sydney club grounds, I’d imagine they’d play some pool games in the bush. 

Bathurst and Mudgee spring to mind, as NRL games have been played there this season.

Those places would surely pack them in for lesser World Cup games.

It's a world cup not a bush cup!! Play it in proper stadiums and treat the tournament with a bit of respect!

Gosford

Newcastle

Parramatta

Penrith

Sfs

Kogarah

Illawarra

Anz stadium

Would be pretty good imo...and you'd get massive traveling support too cos it's fairly compact.....in fact I like it alot....as long as the NSW gov can guarantee a substantial profit! Cos we might need it after 2025 in America.

OLDHAM RLFC

9 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

There is an alternative viewpoint that giving it to NSW might give some ownership and focus some minds.

Sometimes wayward sons thrive when given responsibility.

We are always told about the state pride through origin etc in Australia perhaps a uniquely New South Wales blue world cup sees them step up to the plate? 

True I can see that. Though the counter would be that its missing the rest of Australia as well. Definitely seems like they could do with a smaller international tournament in the meantime. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, you’re right Spud.

Let’s play Cook Islands v Wales at Olympic Stadium. 

Don't be silly....that's a kogarah or gosford game...

It's not the international games job to support Aussie bush RL...the nrl has a billion dollar TV deal to do that!

OLDHAM RLFC

6 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

It's not the international games job to support Aussie bush RL...the nrl has a billion dollar TV deal to do that!

Why are the Australians so desperate to destroy the credibility of the RLWC? Bush stadiums ffs. 

13 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Why isn’t country NSW worthy of hosting World Cup games?

Or do you honestly believe Cook Islands v Wales will get 20k?

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Why isn’t country NSW worthy of hosting World Cup games?

Or do you honestly believe Cook Islands v Wales will get 20k?

The objective is to make the RLWC a prestigious event and attract crowds to every match. What does it say when you're moving matches to Wagga Wagga in front of 3000 people? 

Archived