NZRL to block Aus V Tonga Test

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nz...e-kiwis-clash-prominence-20180811-p4zwwm.html

New Zealand Rugby League officials have torpeoded plans for an Australia-Tonga Test in Auckland - because they don't want the clash to overshadow the Kiwis.

The blockbuster between the Kangaroos and an Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo-led Tonga has gone from the bright lights of New York to potentially not being played at all.

A decision on whether the game goes ahead will be made in the next 48 hours, and it ultimately rests with the NZRL.
~~~~~

More at the link. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

In a related matter, the new Forty-20 says that the Denver test (flop) will be probably moved to the autumn and played in San Diego.

Disappointing, having it next year in the same place would have been a good way to gauge how easy the American audience takes to RL for 2027. I'm guessing that the SDCCU (70,500) will host? From what I know there's a pretty decent RU scene in SD to draw upon, as well as a general need for a new sport following the chargers relocating. Lovely place for a summer break as well, some excellent Mexican restaurants there (as you might expect...).

Massively shortsighted from the NZRL, getting to Tongan community more involved in RL will only help NZRL.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

In a related matter, the new Forty-20 says that the Denver test (flop) will be probably moved to the autumn and played in San Diego.

Like sure whatever, but let’s not get derailed from the thread here.

NZRL are worried that Test against Australia will be overshadowed.

A few things:

1) You cannot buy tickets to the Test Match in Auckland yet. There isn’t a venue announced either but the article says Mt Smart?

2) If NZRL were that concerned on their own profile in New Zealand, why not play Tonga instead of Australia in the first place? Would generate 100x more interest than another match (they’ll get flogged in) against Australia.

3) They could take a cut in profits from a Aus v Tonga Test?

On the ARLC:

1) That holding a Test in Auckland is easier because the players are already there is a flimsy excuse. Not as of the Australians can use a plane. 

2) If they are concerned on ‘capacity’, then have the Test in Australia. Play it as Campbelltown again, wherever - just make it happen.

14 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

I'm confused; is the in addition to the proposed New York test or has that one fallen through and it's being moved?

It was proposed for a date just over 2 months from now and nothing's been confirmed, of course it's fallen through.

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Given that the NRL stated that they'll try to block a second mid-season match in the US, the autumn post-season period is the only other option and in that case a city which has just lost its NFL team is the only feasible location for it.  Whether that's enough to draw a bigger crowd than the recent match is another question altogether.

Just now, Chamey said:

Massively shortsighted from the NZRL, getting to Tongan community more involved in RL will only help NZRL.

If there was more than one NZ team in NZ I'd agree. The talent flies across the Tasman as the Warriors can only take so many players. Anything that develops talent in NZ benefits the NRL 15:1.

Still, it benefits RL as a whole to play internationals. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I can't blame the NZRL for protecting their own back yard here. After all, they want local people to aspire to play for the Kiwis.

Why not play the game in Tonga?

Looks like the Ozzies have tried to steal some of the USA light, thats fallen through, so they decide to play in someone else back yard.

I feel for the Tonga fans here in Auckland, but im sure that the could jump a flight to the homeland, if they were passionate enough. Just think of what that could to for rugby league development there. The economic boom over a weekend, a showcase of rugby league, the Kangaroos actually willing to do something selfless. 

More people playing, watching and wanting to be involved in Rugby League in New Zealand is good for Rugby League in New Zealand. It doesn't matter if they support Tonga or Samoa. As long as the game there grows there NZ will benefit. 

I think with out putting my tin foil hat on that this is a ploy to starve Tongan players of games giving them no choice but to return to the Kiwis. The NZ administration don't want Tonga to succeed and grow. They want them back to been seen as 2nd class rugby league citizens because their own back yard is all that matters. They want players from NZ to have no other viable option. 

Dumb. Just really really Dumb.  

14 minutes ago, B rad said:

More people playing, watching and wanting to be involved in Rugby League in New Zealand is good for Rugby League in New Zealand. It doesn't matter if they support Tonga or Samoa. As long as the game there grows there NZ will benefit. 

I think with out putting my tin foil hat on that this is a ploy to starve Tongan players of games giving them no choice but to return to the Kiwis. The NZ administration don't want Tonga to succeed and grow. They want them back to been seen as 2nd class rugby league citizens because their own back yard is all that matters. They want players from NZ to have no other viable option. 

Insert Australia where NZ appears and we sing from the same song sheet.

Why Australia wants to play Tonga in NZ would fit your last comment very well.

2 hours ago, gnidir said:

This is why not

tonga-mount-smart-crowd.jpg?center=0.3,0

30,000 Tongans paying a decent amount to watch the Tongan national team..

People whinge about 2nd tier nations not being able to afford to pay their players decent match fees...they'll never get there if they play in Tonga infront of 5k paying $5 to watch..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

30 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

This is why not

People whinge about 2nd tier nations not being able to afford to pay their players decent match fees...they'll never get there if they play in Tonga infront of 5k paying $5 to watch..

Then do it in Australia. 

47 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

This is why not

Are they Tongans or are they Kiwi's by right, by birth?

Why did there forefathers decide to up ship and settle in NZ, would it be that they got a better standard of life by doing so, and reaped the benefits of living in a better prosperous society?

When in Rome comes to mind Spud, conform or go back if that is truly where one believes that is where they really belong, exactly the same is happening at Lord's this weekend.

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

If there was more than one NZ team in NZ I'd agree. The talent flies across the Tasman as the Warriors can only take so many players. Anything that develops talent in NZ benefits the NRL 15:1.

Still, it benefits RL as a whole to play internationals. 

4 hours ago, gnidir said:

I can't blame the NZRL for protecting their own back yard here. After all, they want local people to aspire to play for the Kiwis.

Looks like the Ozzies have tried to steal some of the USA light, thats fallen through, so they decide to play in someone else back yard.

I feel for the Tonga fans here in Auckland, but im sure that the could jump a flight to the homeland, if they were passionate enough. Just think of what that could to for rugby league development there. The economic boom over a weekend, a showcase of rugby league, the Kangaroos actually willing to do something selfless. 

2 hours ago, B rad said:

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

Insert Australia where NZ appears and we sing from the same song sheet.

Why Australia wants to play Tonga in NZ would fit your last comment very well.

The biggest benefit imho would be a 2nd NRL club in New Zealand

Moving England v New Zealand to San Diego makes for better and cheaper transport connnections to Los Angeles . It's also about equidistant travel wise for both sides.

The NRL have been in negotiations with Stub Hub Centre (temporaery home of the LA Chargers_) and the new Soccer Stadium buillt next to the LA Colosseum (temporary Home of the LA Rams and USC Trojans) about hosting South Sydney v one other NRL Club on 9/10 th March as the NRL Season opener. - Rusty to attend for a bit of Glitz.

I would imagine New York has been abandoned

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are they Tongans or are they Kiwi's by right, by birth?

Why did there forefathers decide to up ship and settle in NZ, would it be that they got a better standard of life by doing so, and reaped the benefits of living in a better prosperous society?

When in Rome comes to mind Spud, conform or go back if that is truly where one believes that is where they really belong, exactly the same is happening at Lord's this weekend.

You are Norman Tebbit and I claim my £5 !

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why, because my opinions are maybe different to yours? 

No, because that's what Tebbit said.

If I emigrated to Australia there's not a cat in hell's chance I would support Australia against England. If my kids decided to support England too - fine. If they decided to support Australia, also fine.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Surely the ARL could just book a venue in NZ? How can the NZRL stop that?

Anyway, short sited by NZRL. They should focus on growing the pie ..... and then their share of that bigger pie!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would guess because your opinions are maybe very similar to those famously expressed by Norman Tebbit thirty-odd years ago, considered outdated even then.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Relax, HS!  Sorry if my Sunday morning attempt at flippant humour hit a raw nerve, but, as I say, relax!

I am delighted we have different opinions.  Let's face it, a discussion forum on any topic in which everybody agreed with the initial poster would be...well...not a discussion forum!

What you (and Norman Tebbit!) might just be overlooking is, ultimately, that with something like sport, it doesn't really matter.  If your team wins - fine, enjoy the moment!  If they lose, don't throw yourself in the Leeds & Liverpool Canal; it's not worth it.

What that philosophy means in international sporting terms is that those of us who live in one country, but with a family history embedded in another, have the luxury of choice; we can celebrate our pride in our family history through the innocuous medium of supporting a sports team representing the country of our family's origins.  In my case, on my dad's side of the family, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather (I think that's the right number of 'great's) was born in Shetland in the 1400s.  Every subsequent generation was Shetland born and raised until my grandfather, who left the islands as young man to come, like many a Shetlander before him, to Aberdeen, where he successfully set up a business, married and had his family.  So my dad was Aberdeen born and raised.  I too was born there, but left as a babe in arms, as dad had secured a job in Manchester, after coming out of the RAF after the war.

I have lived in England all my life since (68 years and counting); I love the place and my best friends are all English, as are my wife and in-laws (more specifically, they are all from Yorkshire).  Back at the paternal family tree, my son, who was born in Whitby, is the first in fourteen generations not to be born in Scotland (well, possibly excluding my great x 10 grandfather, as Shetland might not have been in Scotland then!)

So, who do I support when Scotland play England at sport?  Scotland, of course!  Does it matter?  No, not really!  Relax!

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Surely the ARL could just book a venue in NZ? How can the NZRL stop that?

Anyway, short sited by NZRL. They should focus on growing the pie ..... and then their share of that bigger pie!

Eden Park. They have already shown they can pack out Mt Smart stadium 30 000, throw the challenge out to pack out 50 000 Eden Park. Maybe then they might get taken seriously (though I doubt it) 

Archived