8 Sept: Super 8s: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 5.30pm (UK time) (TV)

Who will win?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • St Helens
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/09/18 at 16:15

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a player passes a ball and it is caught in front of where it was passed it is a forward pass. Last night's game was the epitome of how the rule of not allowing the VR to judge on a forward pass is wrong. The ref got it wrong twice and tries were scored because there isn't any way he can have it checked.

OK Saints won but overall the problem is the VR and the preventing of him judging on a forward pass. The extent of the problem was highlighted in last night's game and what happened in unacceptable.

Ralph Rimmer needs to tell Ganson to get it sorted as this is now bringing the game into disrepute.  

1 minute ago, Father Ted said:

If a player passes a ball and it is caught in front of where it was passed it is a forward pass. Last night's game was the epitome of how the rule of not allowing the VR to judge on a forward pass is wrong. The ref got it wrong twice and tries were scored because there isn't any way he can have it checked.

OK Saints won but overall the problem is the VR and the preventing of him judging on a forward pass. The extent of the problem was highlighted in last night's game and what happened in unacceptable.

Ralph Rimmer needs to tell Ganson to get it sorted as this is now bringing the game into disrepute.  

It's all about the direction the hands are in when the ball comes out where the player catches it is irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No it isn't about lines on the pitch. If someone is sprinting forward and throws the ball overhead, it will land in front of where he passed it from. That is not a forward pass.

I don’t need rugby league lessons from nuffies on here thanks. I’m fully aware of what a forward pass is. If a ref can see a forward pass a camera can. If a man on the field can make a judgement from his position and man in a room with multiple camera angles can do at least as good a job, if not better, just like any other ruling. That’s all you need to know. 

According french newspaper,  at half time Holdbrook talk to Moore to put pressure on him. Asking « if it was him or Bird who was arbitrating and to stop from getting influence like that ».

I do not understand that someone so bad must still be allowed to officiate at this level!

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

41 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

So it IS down to the lines on the field. So exactly the same as knock-ons. It’s about the direction the ball travels in relation to the field. If a human can see it, a camera can see it. That’s all there is to it.

That’s pretty much the opposite of what it says. 

25 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No it isn't about lines on the pitch. If someone is sprinting forward and throws the ball overhead, it will land in front of where he passed it from. That is not a forward pass.

That's absurd. 

A bomb from a fast moving plane moves forward when dropped because the it starts moving the instant it drops.  A rugby league player no matter how quick does not propel the ball forward simply be dropping it.

The player propels it back or he propels it forward. After a pass the ball either goes back or forward via the action of the player and can be seen as such.

30 minutes ago, Saint Hull said:

It's all about the direction the hands are in when the ball comes out where the player catches it is irrelevant.

No.    A player can make a movement to pass the ball back but if instead it squirts out of his hands forwards then it's a forward pass. The player should propel the ball back... successfully.

There are undoubtedly some teams who regularly and successfully pass the ball forward in a dubious movement.  I'd like to tell you the names, but I'd have to shoot you...

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.    A player can make a movement to pass the ball back but if instead it squirts out of his hands forwards then it's a forward pass. The player should propel the ball back... successfully.

There are undoubtedly some teams who regularly and successfully pass the ball forward in a dubious movement.  I'd like to tell you the names, but I'd have to shoot you...

Yes he should propel the ball backwards but in relation to himself not the pitch. 

42 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

I don’t need rugby league lessons from nuffies on here thanks. I’m fully aware of what a forward pass is. If a ref can see a forward pass a camera can. If a man on the field can make a judgement from his position and man in a room with multiple camera angles can do at least as good a job, if not better, just like any other ruling. That’s all you need to know. 

Right so you want the VR to judge on forward passes. I’ve got a question for you then. The rules allow for a pass that is blown forward in the wind how does the VR judge that?.

19 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

That's absurd. 

A bomb from a fast moving plane moves forward when dropped because the it starts moving the instant it drops.  A rugby league player no matter how quick does not propel the ball forward simply be dropping it.

Eh? If a player running at 10mph drops the ball, the ball is still moving forward at 10mph. The same applies if the player passes the ball flat directly towards the touchline at 90°. It's still travelling forward at 10mph. Until air resistance takes over of course. That's why flat passes made as a player is brought to a sudden halt by a tackle generally look forward when they're not.

What on earth are they teaching at school these days?

Aside from the last one last night though, the contentious ones were pretty clearly forward. Allowing a VR to judge on them seems fine in the obvious examples, the problem comes when you get ones which are borderline. Some will give it forward, some won't, then we'll all complain about lack of consistency. An easier solution is for touch judges to be fitter so they can be in the right place to help the referee with making the call. You're basically guessing if you're behind the play.

They use the video ref to judge on forward passes in Union, I don't think we should though, fages pass was flat but the two others forward, especially for the lomax try as he threw it one handed so no way of telling how it left his hands, 

i was at the game the ref seemed to have a decent game apart from the passes so maybe we need to look at the touch judges! 

gigot did miss all his tackles though, so the decisions didn't help but the last one was stoppable, 

1 hour ago, East Coast Tiger said:

So it IS down to the lines on the field. So exactly the same as knock-ons. It’s about the direction the ball travels in relation to the field. If a human can see it, a camera can see it. That’s all there is to it.

It's not, ffs.

Read what I put, it's the direction of the movement of the player's hands relative to his body and the opposition try line that's important. After the ball leaves the hands the player has no control of the direction it goes.

Players running at full speed will find it very difficult to pass the ball in a direction that makes it travel backwards.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

28 minutes ago, Moove said:

Eh? If a player running at 10mph drops the ball, the ball is still moving forward at 10mph. The same applies if the player passes the ball flat directly towards the touchline at 90°. It's still travelling forward at 10mph. Until air resistance takes over of course. That's why flat passes made as a player is brought to a sudden halt by a tackle generally look forward when they're not.

What on earth are they teaching at school these days?

Aside from the last one last night though, the contentious ones were pretty clearly forward. Allowing a VR to judge on them seems fine in the obvious examples, the problem comes when you get ones which are borderline. Some will give it forward, some won't, then we'll all complain about lack of consistency. An easier solution is for touch judges to be fitter so they can be in the right place to help the referee with making the call. You're basically guessing if you're behind the play.

No, its propelled backwords or its propelled forwards. By a human. If he simply drops it at no matter what speed even stationary then it's a knock on!

A moving plane simply drops it's bomb, or rugby ball, and it immediately continues forward and down... certainly not at all sideways.

52 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Right so you want the VR to judge on forward passes. I’ve got a question for you then. The rules allow for a pass that is blown forward in the wind how does the VR judge that?.

He has a better chance than the referee!

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Hardly. Its basic GCSE physics.

We are not interested in Isaac Newton,  we are talking about a rugby player on the ground, passing the ball backwards. And the ball should go backwards to be a backwards pass. A ball that is passed or propelled forwards is a forward pass. There are only 2 options. 

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

We are not interested in Isaac Newton,  we are talking about a rugby player on the ground, passing the ball backwards. And the ball should go backwards to be a backwards pass. A ball that is passed or propelled forwards is a forward pass. There are only 2 options. 

Garbage.

If you want the ball to go backwards relative to the lines on the pitch then every player that makes a break will have to stop before he passes to a supporting player.

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Watch the video posted above. If that doesn't make you see that you're wrong then there's no hope. I bet you're a flat earther as well.

3 minutes ago, Moove said:

I bet you're a flat earther as well.

What are you on about?!?!

Image result for flat earth

9 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Garbage.

If you want the ball to go backwards relative to the lines on the pitch then every player that makes a break will have to stop before he passes to a supporting player.

That's why players stand back behind the passing player. The passing player has arms and propels the ball.

Archived