Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moscow01

Hemel pull out of League 1

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

That there was a clear third option would be less convincing if it was not a secret.

There is a pth to Super League for your club.  Really, Super League is desperate for bigger clubs with commercial value.  If your club can build its commercial value, they will quickly usher you in.  Cool, eh?

Yes, mate.  I have been involved in amateur rugby as player, volunteer and adminstator most of my adult life.  The difference between people who are effective is whether they are interested in helping things in the real world or just being nostalgic for their childhood.

It would be great if town were full of working men, strong fit and healthy, who had nothing to spend their money on at the weekend and would happily pay to watch small town rugby league.  It would also be great if I were twenty-six again, but rather than sulking about old age, it is best to get on with life.

Good news, Super League as we know it is almost out of time anyway.  It was built on the needs of broadcasting being national and the need for something that would make people sign up.  A national sporting championship was perfect.  Well, sport and media are going international now so that is going to change again.  People will be nostalgic for the good old days of Super League, because they think everything was better when they were young.

Not trying to be funny but I don't understand your first sentence, please edit/clarify.

So no place for a small club that's only value is to itself but wipes the floor with the teams it plays against?

You are not my mate, I don't know you nor you I. Maybe we could be friends if we met, I don't know. Are you saying that you believe that I personally am not effective and am hankering after my childhood?

I agree, societal changes are something that Rugby League has to try and adjust to, but I believe that for the foreseeable future we have to promote the game as a live sport in the first instance, and as a general interest/second favorite/other division/international second which may be more easy to promote via TV, pay per view, streaming etc.

I will never look back on "Super League" with any fondness, my opinion based on my experiences, others obviously will differ. Nor will I stop watching live rugby no matter how much streamed elite 2 French rugby or any other such becomes  available, the experience is so much more in real life than in 2D for 90 minutes.

That is what we should aspire to and promote, not sterile TV broadcasts, they have a place but not as the first option.

 

,

,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Not trying to be funny but I don't understand your first sentence, please edit/clarify.

So no place for a small club that's only value is to itself but wipes the floor with the teams it plays against?

You are not my mate, I don't know you nor you I. Maybe we could be friends if we met, I don't know. Are you saying that you believe that I personally am not effective and am hankering after my childhood?

I agree, societal changes are something that Rugby League has to try and adjust to, but I believe that for the foreseeable future we have to promote the game as a live sport in the first instance, and as a general interest/second favorite/other division/international second which may be more easy to promote via TV, pay per view, streaming etc.

I will never look back on "Super League" with any fondness, my opinion based on my experiences, others obviously will differ. Nor will I stop watching live rugby no matter how much streamed elite 2 French rugby or any other such becomes  available, the experience is so much more in real life than in 2D for 90 minutes.

That is what we should aspire to and promote, not sterile TV broadcasts, they have a place but not as the first option.

Let us look at the sport that people want to see live and provide that, rather than try and insist they watch what we want. 

I have done plenty of amateur rugby league, in particular one club in an expansion area that involved giving people what they wanted and doing it for a different audience.  When it went back to the purity of the sport, the club almost died off.

There is no interest in second flight sport.  The second flight in soccer attracts a fraction of the TV revenue of the top flight.  That is life. So, no, it is "easy to promote via TV, pay per view, streaming etc."  It can be done, but it will take imagination and being in the right area.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Let us look at the sport that people want to see live and provide that, rather than try and insist they watch what we want. 

I have done plenty of amateur rugby league, in particular one club in an expansion area that involved giving people what they wanted and doing it for a different audience.  When it went back to the purity of the sport, the club almost died off.

There is no interest in second flight sport.  The second flight in soccer attracts a fraction of the TV revenue of the top flight.  That is life. So, no, it is "easy to promote via TV, pay per view, streaming etc."  It can be done, but it will take imagination and being in the right area.

Again I am unsure of your first sentences meaning. Are you saying that people do not want to watch "traditional" rugby league as you and I perhaps have watched and that we should somehow change it to attract more people at a game? How far do we change it before it ceases to be Rugby League?

Your second paragraph makes me think that we have met but without knowing which club you are referring to I cannot be sure and genuinely respect your right to not post under your real name.

I disagree, the second flight in football may not attract the TV exposure of the premier league but has plenty of spectators turn up week in week out to watch their team live. That scenario may be true of other sports.Also is it not a possibility that having acquired the broadcasting rights to Championship and League 1 the have vested interest in not showing games from these competitions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we be clear about one thing SL was not some brilliant idea on Maurice Lyndsey's part, nor was it a desperation for Sky to promote the game over here that they already showed, it came about as afterthought of two pig headded Australian media moguls having a dick waving contest to get the better of one another.   The governing body in Australia, the NSW RL enlisted the help of Kerry Packer and his TV oulets to fight off Rupert Murdoch's plans to launch pay per view tv in Australia using RL to entice subscribers. Murdoch's plans were for a Australian SL faciltated by the board of the Brisbane Broncos, no lovers of RLHQ in Sydney, in enticing Clubs and players by offering ridiculous amounts of money to sign with them, hence the governing body taking up with Packer.  To cut a long story short when English players such as Betts, Platt and Connolly started being enlisted Newscorp realized the could sign up the entire English game for what was a relative pittance and that the required toadying licspittle was in place to serve it up.  It really is a fascinating story if you read any of the numerous Australian books, on either side, published about it none of which show the game over here and its leaders in a great light. It also illustrates how little money or anything else will stand in the way of the Murdoch's and Packers of this world until they get bored with it and move onto the next new thing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Reality is incapable of caring about anything, nor do I care about what the French did or didn't do. What drama are you talking about? Every year since 1989 I have travelled thousands of miles watching Rugby League, at all levels. However l have never travelled anywhere to watch a "Super League" game, there is so much more out there than that which is IMO deserving of support, that is dealing with real life. 

There are learned professors of archaic Old English or Ancient Greek or Mayan Hieroglyphics out there.   They are of no use to anybody, but civilisation is remembered thanks to their wealthy benefactors...

I am sure these absent minded professors care little for who pays their way and are comfortable in their little world as it passes them by. 

 

 

Edited by Rupert Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 7:29 PM, DEANO said:

Hate to say it but I told you so

  But another Championship club has signed a former Hemel player.

  Club goes by the name of York City Knights.

   Hemel training those players seems to have helped - Now 3 players gone to Championship clubs.


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Everything

Why am I not surprised that you are incapable of expanding your post.

As usual you are way off the thread topic, but I will reply. Your caricature of Academics bears no resemblance to any of my lecturers or tutors, they had no "benefactors", certainly were not " absent minded",were well connected with the outside or real world and were certainly cared who paid their way, if they did not have tenure the were working damned hard to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

  But another Championship club has signed a former Hemel player.

  Club goes by the name of York City Knights.

   Hemel training those players seems to have helped - Now 3 players gone to Championship clubs.

And?


sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newbe said:

Seen Hemel looking to rent properties locally for next season, maybe they will back in 2020.

Local to Hemel or where the team will be based?


- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope if they do come back into pro leagues they learn some lessons and try to present themselves as a progressive pro club in the way Coventry do.  You know with some decent merchandise / branding / marketing to locals. There's no point coming back in and just being the same amateur style club they have been this time round.  I work and live in the area and their profile is non existent.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I really hope if they do come back into pro leagues they learn some lessons and try to present themselves as a progressive pro club in the way Coventry do.  You know with some decent merchandise / branding / marketing to locals. There's no point coming back in and just being the same amateur style club they have been this time round.  I work and live in the area and their profile is non existent.   

Yup. I don't even think the last few game reports appeared in the Hemel Gazette. And that's a paper that reports how people do on their Saturday morning Park Run, so it shouldn't be too much of a trial getting space in there.

Generally, if you say to someone in Hemel that you're 'off to the rugby club', they'll assume you mean the RU one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Yup. I don't even think the last few game reports appeared in the Hemel Gazette. And that's a paper that reports how people do on their Saturday morning Park Run, so it shouldn't be too much of a trial getting space in there.

Generally, if you say to someone in Hemel that you're 'off to the rugby club', they'll assume you mean the RU one.

The people i work with who live in Hemel are generally aware of the Stags as an amateur club and have had some contact at school but that's as far as it goes.  Nice little amateur club but that's it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DEANO said:

And?

  It therefore suggests that having an expansion club in League 1 assists not only in expanding the rugby league footprint further,giving coaches an opportunity,gains new supporters,but it is also of assistance to developing players.

But then you knew that...


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

The people i work with who live in Hemel are generally aware of the Stags as an amateur club and have had some contact at school but that's as far as it goes.  Nice little amateur club but that's it for me.

Indeed. And it's none the worse for that. Still a community hub, still somewhere where loads of amateur games can take place, where people can play five-a-side, where The Feathers can get absolutely thrashed by my team at darts (8-1, have some of that), etc. etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

  It therefore suggests that having an expansion club in League 1 assists not only in expanding the rugby league footprint further,giving coaches an opportunity,gains new supporters,but it is also of assistance to developing players.

But then you knew that...

I completely accept what your saying. What I’m saying are these clubs are  not sustainable because there is no desire for it with the public. There is nothing more I would like if the game was national because to me it’s the greatest game unfortunately it’s not and never will be

  • Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DEANO said:

I completely accept what your saying. What I’m saying are these clubs are  not sustainable because there is no desire for it with the public. There is nothing more I would like if the game was national because to me it’s the greatest game unfortunately it’s not and never will be

I think what you mean is that it hasn’t been given time to put down roots in these areas, to be able to have a chance to be sustainable. Long term and RL don’t go together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps your right but London have never taken off in nearly 40 years. Yes there back in sl and they’ve actually earned the right this time. But they will bring nothing to the table if history repeats itself. Meagre crowds no London news exposure and a crappy ground not worthy of sl


sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Perhaps your right but London have never taken off in nearly 40 years. Yes there back in sl and they’ve actually earned the right this time. But they will bring nothing to the table if history repeats itself. Meagre crowds no London news exposure and a crappy ground not worthy of sl

That could be said about a number of SL clubs with much longer history’s 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently they are looking to join the Southern Rugby League East Conference.  I've heard that 14 teams have applied for the new leagues premier East and West Divisions so as to provide a more meaningful and competitive structure for clubs in the south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, DEANO said:

I completely accept what your saying. What I’m saying are these clubs are  not sustainable because there is no desire for it with the public. There is nothing more I would like if the game was national because to me it’s the greatest game unfortunately it’s not and never will be

Thats the spirit!!!

On 10/29/2018 at 9:47 PM, DEANO said:

Perhaps your right but London have never taken off in nearly 40 years. Yes there back in sl and they’ve actually earned the right this time. But they will bring nothing to the table if history repeats itself. Meagre crowds no London news exposure and a crappy ground not worthy of sl

ifs and buts... 

RL has a habit of repeating history because it doesnt learn from it.. way back in the 1930s we had teams playing in one place and training in another.. and it didnt work.. doesnt mean you shouldnt try it again as times change but it was, IMHO, the last throws of desperation because it really isnt perfect. 

But when RL starts to learn from its history it starts to do something differently and sometimes it works, Coventry (touch wood) seems to be doing just that. 

In my experience there is appetite for it, I have converted a few in our local RU club over the last few years from never watch to now watching when on terrestrial TV (here in lies a ###### lesson the RFL never learn! dont stream it GIVE IT to the BBC if you have to!)... When I was in London the Development Officers were active and there were teams and clubs growing, schools involved and a real interest, the fact this never really materialised to the Broncos/quins is own to that club more than anything, but there was definite interest in the game itself. Funnily enough since funding for that was pulled the game has gone backwards in London at amateur level. 

It definitely isnt a case of "it never will be" as it very much can and we have seen it in the past. but its the inability of the RFL and people in general to not learn from the past, what worked and what didnt but also an inability (and you see it in business too) of talking to people across sports and in other countries about what has worked for them and adapt it to what you are doing. 

Hemel can get this right but they need to learn from what went wrong. In the same way as Broncos need to and Wales needs to and so on.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...