Will Odsal ever get redeveloped?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately money talks, and nobody in rugby league has any. I have to admit I don't know much about the stadia situation in Bradford but the only way I could make economic sense of anything major happening would be a joint venture on a stadium with Bradford City and that is unlikely to be on the cards anytime soon. In fact the way things are going, Bradford Park Avenue could end up being the biggest football team in the area.

I can't see anything more than minor improvements for the forseeable future.

Absolutely no chance.

The sooner they do something about relocatin to a modern stadium,with proper facilities and the ability to generate revenue off the park the better.If they cant/wont,then simply they should not be allowed back in SLThe ground isan eyesaw/embarrassment for professional sport in the 21 st cent.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Love Odsal, cant wait to see it back in SL - nothing better than 20K there on a hot summer's night against Leeds.

I don't see Odsal in it's current state adding any value to the Bulls or SL. The RFL own the lease and I would like to think they have some sort of plan for it. 

49 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I don't see Odsal in it's current state adding any value to the Bulls or SL. The RFL own the lease and I would like to think they have some sort of plan for it. 

Contradiction in terms. RFL and 'plan'.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Seems to be an ongoing drama. RL needs a strong Bradford Bulls, and to have a strong bulls club you really need to have a modern Odsal stadium.

It's gone pretty quiet on the development front. Has anyone heard anything? 

Me and Adie have sole rights for the landfill and we haven’t heard anything.

57 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Me and Adie have sole rights for the landfill and we haven’t heard anything.

Best not be landfill, demonstrate that it is land recovery. That way, if you can get an authorising EA Permit, there is no Landfill Tax to pay on deliveries.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 hours ago, The Future is League said:

It was my understanding that the RFL had put in an application to the EU for funding to upgrade the ground, but that went bye the bye when we voted to leave the EU.

Utter garbage,no surprise there.

I suspect it will be developed at some point but I certainly have no clue as to just when the point may be. Not what it might be developed for as, given its excellent transport links with potential for them to be improved even further, an industrial use would be far from out of the question. The potential for RFL, club and council to cash in on this option shouldn't be discarded.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

'An application made .. ' You are joking.

No application was made,it went as far as,'hey,can we get some money from europe to redevelope Odsal.I dont know,maybe'.

No analysis was done,no consultants were employed,it would cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds to do it properly,with no guarantee of success.So if making an application consists of throwing out an idea over a drink,yes,you are right,if it actually consists of producing a detailed analysis,cost/benefit study,plans,employing consultants  etc,you are not.Any chance you might be a remainer?!

2 minutes ago, cookey said:

'An application made .. ' You are joking.

No application was made,it went as far as,'hey,can we get some money from europe to redevelope Odsal.I dont know,maybe'.

No analysis was done,no consultants were employed,it would cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds to do it properly,with no guarantee of success.So if making an application consists of throwing out an idea over a drink,yes,you are right,if it actually consists of producing a detailed analysis,cost/benefit study,plans,employing consultants  etc,you are not.Any chance you might be a remainer?!

Link

And who was responsible for the RFL being saddled with the lease, don't all shout at once! maybe it was all part of a fiendish plan to turn Odsal into the world headquarters of Rugby League.  Funny how Bradford has a strange attachment to hole's in the ground, all very mystic like crop circles only deeper?

I can never see it being a full development personally. There are things that can help with a modest budget but I think that could only happen if we ever got back to SL.

I would:

* Knock down the dilapidated Touchdown Bar, looks an eyesore.

* Try and eventually go down the Fev Rovers route for acquiring seating. Ex Scarborough seats I believe.

* Update/Utilise the area around the Ticket Shop. There are empty Units there and within 100 yards there is a bar taking considerable monies from the club. (Q Gardens). I would try to develop one of these into a bar, pub, hall of fame, Bulls/Northern museum where fans home and away can ponder over Cup final shirts and legendary players over a coffee or a beer rather than a) go to Q Gardens or b) go the cardboard box that is the Touchdown.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

From my understandIng of Odsal, it would require alot of money and work to do much with any of the Stands. It would require major work and money to move any Stands nearest to the pitch. 

It would be far cheaper and less hassle to simply build a New stadium elsewhere, than try and develop Odsal to much more than it is now. 

17 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Hasn't this ship sailed? Shouldn't Bradford City have relocated to Odsal (permanently) after the 1985 fire, rather than opting to redevelop landlocked Valley Parade, a hopeless location for a modern sports stadium?

Moot point, Hopping Mad. Whatever BCFC 'should' have done, they didn't. And that was largely due to the attachment to Valley Parade that was created by the fire in 1985. I know that a large portion of the Bradford City fanbase would never forgive the club if they moved away from Valley Parade, precisely because it has, in some way, become a monument to those who died.

As for Odsal, it was cost an absolute fortune to redevelop and that won't happen without a developer gaining access to the large amount of land which surrounds the actual rugby stadium. There's simply no 'value' in a developer doing that, unless its going to be part of a larger scale redevelopment.

The complicated 'ownership', with the RFL and the Local Council having a finger in the pie makes that even more unlikely.

I've been hearing about Odsal being 'redeveloped' for the past 50 years (I'm 59) and I don't expect to happen in my lifetime, that's for sure.

Archived