Who would you like to see replace Rimmer at the RFL?

I nominate Lindsey Hoyle MP, who in my opinion has a better idea how the game is run.

Had his own business before entering parliament and obviously would have lots of contacts through his time as a MP.

Now i don't think Lindsey would take the job, but the money Rimmer is on might temp him, but we have get Rimmer out first

Coco the fekin clown.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I've no idea to be honest. However, I'd have to consider who actually decided to 'give' Ralph Rimmer the job first. 

It must be difficult for any leader, including Ralph, to receive so much negative feedback.

Whoever the board was that gave Rimmer the job - that would be my first overhaul.....they played it safe. A guy who knew the systems and the game. Perhaps looking at the picture of we need stability and consolidation of the game.

Well that didn't work. Super League hired Elstone.

Whenever organisations play it safe, and don't dare to dream for growth - someone will break out of the box. That's exactly what happened here.

I honestly fear for the autonomy of the RFL. And the influence it could have (or could have had).

We as a game were at a tipping point where we could (and still can) I believe, have a bright future investing in opportunities abroad (US, Canada, France etc) to influence new births of clubs, leagues, interest.  Thats as well as celebrating and championing things like the resurgence of Bradford, York Knights doing what they are doing (incredible), Coventry being innovative...i could go on.

The uncertainty of Rimmers safety first, and the fact he is part and parcel of the history of the game does not help.

Safety never brought growth. And my problem in this discussion is, not 'who would I hire' but, who is in charge of hiring the chief exec.

Ive said it before....whatever you think of the Richard Lewis era....he brought unity, change, vision, and clarity. It may not have all worked, but he brought a fresh vision.

In my opinion, we need someone from OUTSIDE the game to rattle it up, and shake it furiously, and bring the amazing game of RL into a new era.

6 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

I've no idea to be honest. However, I'd have to consider who actually decided to 'give' Ralph Rimmer the job first. 

It must be difficult for any leader, including Ralph, to receive so much negative feedback.

Whoever the board was that gave Rimmer the job - that would be my first overhaul.....they played it safe. A guy who knew the systems and the game. Perhaps looking at the picture of we need stability and consolidation of the game.

Well that didn't work. Super League hired Elstone.

Whenever organisations play it safe, and don't dare to dream for growth - someone will break out of the box. That's exactly what happened here.

I honestly fear for the autonomy of the RFL. And the influence it could have (or could have had).

We as a game were at a tipping point where we could (and still can) I believe, have a bright future investing in opportunities abroad (US, Canada, France etc) to influence new births of clubs, leagues, interest.  Thats as well as celebrating and championing things like the resurgence of Bradford, York Knights doing what they are doing (incredible), Coventry being innovative...i could go on.

The uncertainty of Rimmers safety first, and the fact he is part and parcel of the history of the game does not help.

Safety never brought growth. And my problem in this discussion is, not 'who would I hire' but, who is in charge of hiring the chief exec.

Ive said it before....whatever you think of the Richard Lewis era....he brought unity, change, vision, and clarity. It may not have all worked, but he brought a fresh vision.

In my opinion, we need someone from OUTSIDE the game to rattle it up, and shake it furiously, and bring the amazing game of RL into a new era.

Throw some names into the ring

@thefutureisleague 

Sorry. I stated I couldn't give a recommendation. (I understand the title of your thread) I'm more concerned with the board, whoever they are, who are responsible for the hiring of the CEO of Rugby League in this country. There, is the primary problem - as they have the idea/vision/job description for who they are looking for.

I'd like someone from outside the sport that at this moment in time I have never probably never heard of. I hadn't heard of Richard Lewis for example and he did a good job. We certainly need someone from entirely outside the RFL and it's culture of incompetence.

Is Rimmer already considering his position after his 500k bond debacle and all the stick that's bee. Hurled at him ,I would have thought be would be seen defending his actions ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

12 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Is Rimmer already considering his position after his 500k bond debacle and all the stick that's bee. Hurled at him ,I would have thought be would be seen defending his actions ? 

Rimmer can't defend the indefendible.

Even he must know how he has made the game a laughing stock with his actions.

He really needs to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword. He is totally incompetent

I would expect the best people are those that we cannot name as they just get their heads down and do a job.. they also probably need to come from left field a little not someone within the game so trying to pick someone is tough.. they also need to want to do the job... who else applied when rimmer got it?

other than that its head hunting which will cost you.. and you need to know what you want and need.. 

From sport I'd be very tempted to at least interview Joanna Adams CEO at Netball England

equally i would be tempted to speak to some of the senior management at companies like Netflix.. more modern companies who are growing, people who have contacts with this new media and also people who generally look forwards rather than back. Even some of the Proctor and Gambles, Unilevers etc where they are forward thinking people, with business acumen and contacts, they may not have experience in sport but you can surround yourself with people who do (and you hire someone with an interest in sport, doesn't have to be RL). Certainly see what they have to say.

Large FTSE style companies look to the senior management of these companies, guys who are at the wrong timing to become that company's CEO but are of that calibre and they go and poach them. At GE it is said that each of the arms of the company have a CEO (about 7 at last count) all of which could be the next CEO of the group. When that next CEO is appointed almost all of the other 6 immediately leave to become CEO of another top FTSE 100 company because they are that good... doesnt matter the industry so much... why cant we do that sort of thing? maybe not at that level due to the pay packet but at our own level.. 

Surely the clubs realise that they have the power (majority Council vote needed) to remove the RFL Chairman and other Non-Executive Directors if they wish (and can appoint replacements).

Replace Barwick with Elstone?

Invite Sally Bolton to be a NED? And Tony Adams? Or Stuart Pearce? Or Clive Griffiths? Or Sir Clive Woodward? Or Gary Hetherington (when he leaves Leeds)? Or David Oxley? Or Clare Balding? etc

Rimmer could go back to being COO for now and do without an RFL CEO with the Chairman being the high profile 'face of the game'?

Having a quick look at who the other major UK sports have as CEO:

Premier League - Susanna Dinnage - works for Discovery, previously President of Discovery Networks UK and Ireland, previously spent a decade at Channel 5, and also worked at MTV. She is Chair of the Commercial Broadcasters Association (COBA).

FA - Martin Glenn - previously CEO at United Biscuits, and previously Walkers. 

RFU - Nigel Melville (Interim) - very much an internal move like Rimmer, will be interesting to see whether he gets it full time. Interestingly, as well as playing for England between 1984 and 1988 he was also Head of UK Promotions for Nike. Not sure if that was a real role. The rest of his roles have been within Rugby mainly, feels like the kind of person RL would appoint.

WRU - Martyn Phillips - former head of B&Q, and Director of Leading Edge management and leadership consultancy. in 2013 he was placed in the top 15 most influential HR practitioners and the top 100 Retail Power Players in the UK.

SRU - Mark Dodson - previously CEO of Guardian Media Group Regional Media, and was also appointed to the Guardian Media Group Board. 

The above are high calibre people, and not necessarily just from the sports they are representing, or sport at all. 

I think we need fresh blood at the top, including the board, Chairman and CEO. When you look at other boards and Exec management teams, you can see why we are struggling compared to them.

5 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I wonder if any of this is linked to why Eddie Hearn decided to not continue to pursue any further interest with the RFL?

Interestingly, I thought maybe this idea had come from the Hearns.

6 minutes ago, Fax and furious said:

Surely the clubs realise that they have the power (majority Council vote needed) to remove the RFL Chairman and other Non-Executive Directors if they wish (and can appoint replacements).

Replace Barwick with Elstone?

Invite Sally Bolton to be a NED? And Tony Adams? Or Stuart Pearce? Or Clive Griffiths? Or Sir Clive Woodward? Or Gary Hetherington (when he leaves Leeds)? Or David Oxley? Or Clare Balding? etc

Rimmer could go back to being COO for now and do without an RFL CEO with the Chairman being the high profile 'face of the game'?

except for them being "names" what do they add to the board? Clive Woodward possible.. Heatherington maybe (perhaps too much of a link to a club) but the others?

Just now, RP London said:

except for them being "names" what do they add to the board? Clive Woodward possible.. Heatherington maybe (perhaps too much of a link to a club) but the others?

indeed. We don't need big names, we need serious business people, working in modern media.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Having a quick look at who the other major UK sports have as CEO:

Premier League - Susanna Dinnage - works for Discovery, previously President of Discovery Networks UK and Ireland, previously spent a decade at Channel 5, and also worked at MTV. She is Chair of the Commercial Broadcasters Association (COBA).

FA - Martin Glenn - previously CEO at United Biscuits, and previously Walkers. 

RFU - Nigel Melville (Interim) - very much an internal move like Rimmer, will be interesting to see whether he gets it full time. Interestingly, as well as playing for England between 1984 and 1988 he was also Head of UK Promotions for Nike. Not sure if that was a real role. The rest of his roles have been within Rugby mainly, feels like the kind of person RL would appoint.

WRU - Martyn Phillips - former head of B&Q, and Director of Leading Edge management and leadership consultancy. in 2013 he was placed in the top 15 most influential HR practitioners and the top 100 Retail Power Players in the UK.

SRU - Mark Dodson - previously CEO of Guardian Media Group Regional Media, and was also appointed to the Guardian Media Group Board. 

The above are high calibre people, and not necessarily just from the sports they are representing, or sport at all. 

I think we need fresh blood at the top, including the board, Chairman and CEO. When you look at other boards and Exec management teams, you can see why we are struggling compared to them.

one small correction Dinnage has decided not to take the role on. 

Archived