Skolars & Toronto investment Guardian Article

IM2

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sounds like the end of the Skolars identity in exchange for an ambitious stab at being a bigger club.

No. It's a recognition that the club needs an investment to grow on and off the pitch. Otherwise, we will continue to bounce around the bottom of L1. For all the good things going on with the club that's basically the identity.

It's worth reminding people that the TWP money is being matched by other investors. There is an additional 50% coming into the club. I think Hector addressed the identity issue in the interview.

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

No. It's a recognition that the club needs an investment to grow on and off the pitch. Otherwise, we will continue to bounce around the bottom of L1. For all the good things going on with the club that's basically the identity.

It's worth reminding people that the TWP money is being matched by other investors. There is an additional 50% coming into the club. I think Hector addressed the identity issue in the interview.

I meant literally the name ‘Skolars’ itself would go.

51 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I meant literally the name ‘Skolars’ itself would go.

Sorry -  I misunderstood. I personally won’t lament the loss of “Skolars”. Tottenham Storm anyone? 

I don’t think there’s been any discussion, other than a recognition that Skolars doesn’t really work. I got the impression London is likely to remain in the title but there’s a desire to create a local identity. Not sure if that means Harringey or north London or east London. 

9 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I don’t think there’s been any discussion, other than a recognition that Skolars doesn’t really work. I got the impression London is likely to remain in the title but there’s a desire to create a local identity. Not sure if that means Harringey or north London or east London. 

Whitehearts ?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

13 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Sorry -  I misunderstood. I personally won’t lament the loss of “Skolars”. Tottenham Storm anyone? 

"Thames Valley Jets" would be my offer.... which I give away for free in the interests of furthering the game.

49 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Just "Spitfires". Would suit a Kent club, preferably a ladies team. 

Southampton RL are the Spitfires. We’ve already got Medway Dragons down in Kent. 

Hopefully the club will canvas  views on a new name as and when. 

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Southampton RL are the Spitfires. We’ve already got Medway Dragons down in Kent. 

Hopefully the club will canvas  views on a new name as and when. 

How about Brexiteers?

Does a name actually mean much? Changing to Skolars to something more “traditional” with Rugby League team names, specifically an animal, probably isn’t going to get people attending. 

They could keep the Skolars name and just do the basics right, things like engaging the local community, marketing the game, investing in youth etc and that would have a bigger effect, IMO, than changing their name to the London Lynx or whatever. 

Archived