Widnes

Robin Evans

being cynical they wipe out there debts go in to admin new owner comes in not having to take on existing debts keep squad together cope with the points deducted stay up n start afresh  might be called a plan 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, painkiller said:

being cynical they wipe out there debts go in to admin new owner comes in not having to take on existing debts keep squad together cope with the points deducted stay up n start afresh  might be called a plan 

Wouldn’t be first team to use kidolagy. 

6 hours ago, lingard said:

There is not enough money in this sport to sustain full time contracts and fake teams like Toronto, with  limitless cash will only exasperate the situation.  If they do manage to get to SL they will inflate salaries even further.   

back to part time for me, witn two meaningful leagues 2  up and down, freeing up cashh for proper youth development.

simples.

Fully agree lingard. Oh for the days of 15,000 fans watching Wakefield part timers. The game at present is heading for self destruct. The level of income from the fans support, involving EVERY team, cannot possibly prop up clubs which are paying vast salaries to overseas players. Not much point, financially or otherwise, to have gold studded players on the park being surrounded by rows upon rows of empty terraces.

It is sad.  During that late 80's / early 90's era it was arguably our toughest away game yet I still have good memories of watching the likes of Gregory, Currier, Davies, Offiah, Sorenson, Tait etc. 

Irrespective of the fact that this can only be put down to short sighted bad management I bet Lenagan / McManus and co will be loving the fact that they can use this as a great argument to scrap relegation again. 

On a happier note that 12 point deduction has really increased our top 5 chances.................

2 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Irrespective of the fact that this can only be put down to short sighted bad management I bet Lenagan / McManus and co will be loving the fact that they can use this as a great argument to scrap relegation again. 

Im bracing myself for this argument.

However, the vast majority of that debt has not been accrued since they've been in the championship.

Games on its ar se.

Why don't all the club's on DR pass the players to Widnes so they can finish the season?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

28 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Why don't all the club's on DR pass the players to Widnes so they can finish the season?

who cares ? certainly not me and no other Rovers fan that iv spoke to, any compassion most of us had for the game and other clubs went around 1995

3 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah yes....1995, the year the great refereeing conspiracy against all things Fev started.

Correct.  As I recall back in 1995 we had a televised game at home v Hull with one of the Connolly clowns in charge. (I'm sure it was an early pre SL Sky game but someone may be able to correct me on that).  In the first half we were disallowed 2 perfectly good tries where only Connolly saw forward passes.  TV replays showed that the tries should have stood and it was the main talking point of the match (needless to say we went on to lose). 

Afterwards Danny Divet was interviewed about the match and was asked about the decisions. He had just been named in the World team of the year and let's be honest he had achieved bigger things in the game but I always remember his response about those sort of decisions always happening to teams like Featherstone.

Mettre que dans votre pipe est la fumee - as the big man would have said - well if he spoke in French anyway. 

I was present at that match under the sticks and this was a sickening result to take. I remember us leading comfortably then being reduced to less players and players playing out of position especially on the wing and Hull somehow coming back on the back of dubious decisions and winning a vital game. But can’t say owt on here about the ref being bias even though its all about opinion .Further to this like most Clubs supporters I have seen loads of games over 45 years where I am convinced yes convinced that the ref has for some reason deliberately made sure we do not win the game and If my own mother disagreed with this I would not agree with her so its a waste of time anyone else arguing in the refs favour.

32 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

But can’t say owt on here about the ref being bias even though its all about opinion 

Say what on earth you like pike y owd cock, post whatever opinion you have.... thats your right to do so.

However, if others disagree, expect that opinion to be challenged. Isnt that how it should be?

5 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah yes....1995, the year the great refereeing conspiracy against all things Fev started.

1995, really? I thought it was 1921.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Say what on earth you like pike y owd cock, post whatever opinion you have.... thats your right to do so.

However, if others disagree, expect that opinion to be challenged. Isnt that how it should be?

Of course. 

We've suffered a lot though.  Since we were effectively thrown out of the top tier when SL started we have obviously never been back up there but ALL of the other clubs who missed out have at some point had a crack at it.  In fact 22 clubs have competed in SL.  When you consider that in the TWENTY THREE years of the SL era our average position at the end of the season (all leagues combined) is between 17-18 (average 5th outside of SL) it does seem grossly unfair.  don't get me wrong clubs like Dewsbury and Keighley have been well and truly shafted in that time but we have consistently been the most successful non SL club by some distance. 

What with goalposts moving constantly, last minute play-off final defeats and greedy SL chairmen controlling the game and everything else I do find it hard to believe that the idea of (maybe just subconsciously) biased referees is laughed at.  After all - don't they stand to lose out if Championship #### like us mix with the SL elite ? (rather than the club's that are wanted such as London and Toronto?)............

7 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

You see, the key with humour is to know when to stop pushing the same lame gag, otherwise you just come across as a bit of a ######. Less is more.

4 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Correct.  As I recall back in 1995 we had a televised game at home v Hull with one of the Connolly clowns in charge. (I'm sure it was an early pre SL Sky game but someone may be able to correct me on that).  In the first half we were disallowed 2 perfectly good tries where only Connolly saw forward passes.  TV replays showed that the tries should have stood and it was the main talking point of the match (needless to say we went on to lose). 

Afterwards Danny Divet was interviewed about the match and was asked about the decisions. He had just been named in the World team of the year and let's be honest he had achieved bigger things in the game but I always remember his response about those sort of decisions always happening to teams like Featherstone.

Mettre que dans votre pipe est la fumee - as the big man would have said - well if he spoke in French anyway. 

Excellent sir. Remember it like it was yesterday, some truly dreadful decisions, which as it turned out cost us the two points that night which would have seen us finish 10th that year and squeak into SL, though I assume if that had been the case the good people making the decisions re SL membership (not the RFL, obviously) would have decided to draw the line at 9th, and promote Dukla Prague RFL or something equally absurd.

Anyway who cares what a French-Aussie playing at the highest level for various clubs thinks about the way teams like Fev get treated, when we've got the forum's resident experts to tell us it's all in our idiotic minds........

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Of course. 

We've suffered a lot though.  Since we were effectively thrown out of the top tier when SL started we have obviously never been back up there but ALL of the other clubs who missed out have at some point had a crack at it.  In fact 22 clubs have competed in SL.  When you consider that in the TWENTY THREE years of the SL era our average position at the end of the season (all leagues combined) is between 17-18 (average 5th outside of SL) it does seem grossly unfair.  don't get me wrong clubs like Dewsbury and Keighley have been well and truly shafted in that time but we have consistently been the most successful non SL club by some distance. 

What with goalposts moving constantly, last minute play-off final defeats and greedy SL chairmen controlling the game and everything else I do find it hard to believe that the idea of (maybe just subconsciously) biased referees is laughed at.  After all - don't they stand to lose out if Championship #### like us mix with the SL elite ? (rather than the club's that are wanted such as London and Toronto?)............

Those are your views Rob. Fair dos.

I find the idea of multiple referees for decades being biased against fev... absolutely absurd.

Our opinions differ. C'est la vie.

30 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Those are your views Rob. Fair dos.

I find the idea of multiple referees for decades being biased against fev... absolutely absurd.

Our opinions differ. C'est la vie.

Robin. I have never suggested that it's every decision in every game - not by a long shot.  (Although that idea does seem to be found constantly hilarious).  Many games do come down to fine margins though.  As someone said earlier referees can virtually find a genuine penalty for either side with every play - at our level particularly. That is why I just find it difficult to accept that we appear to have consistently more decisions against us when it matters.  Subtle yes but in the end of season analysis they can be huge.

11 hours ago, Adam B said:

You see, the key with humour is to know when to stop pushing the same lame gag, otherwise you just come across as a bit of a ######. Less is more.

Au contraire.  I only didn't laugh out loud because I was afraid if I did my head would have fallen off.....

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Robin. I have never suggested that it's every decision in every game - not by a long shot.  (Although that idea does seem to be found constantly hilarious).  Many games do come down to fine margins though.  As someone said earlier referees can virtually find a genuine penalty for either side with every play - at our level particularly. That is why I just find it difficult to accept that we appear to have consistently more decisions against us when it matters.  Subtle yes but in the end of season analysis they can be huge.

I can't help but agree with some of your points. Particularly over recent years, the rule changes have increasingly relied upon interpretation, which gives the ref's far too much influence on results imo. It almost seems like the rules are designed to be as ambiguous as possible and constantly changing, that anyone new to the game would find it very difficult to understand.

To my mind, most of the rule changes have not really improved things either, the game would be much easier for none fans to get in to if we went back to what it was, a simple, easy game to understand, with very black and white rules that didn't require interpretation or a clown on sky to explain why the ref made the correct decision, even when the whole of the audience knows it was wrong.

Its human nature to show bias in every walk of life and in every day choices. However I would draw the the line at the RFL instructing such individuals to show bias against certain teams. In a tight game you are at the mercy of a whim of a decision by one  individual that for some reason decides to penalise a team for something that has gone unpunished for 79 minutes previous. Its certainly happened to Fev and I bet other supporters of other clubs have suspected this happening to their team. Yes there is certainly bias but not under instruction surely.

Archived