Barcelona record crowd?

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

Guasch was talking pre-match about his father being a small child when they had to flee the Francoist forces in Catalonia and become refugees in France, so I can't see him wanting to go there.

People in the UK only read this history, they can’t feel it the way some Catalans still obviously do.

To his credit, he congratulated the 3000 or so Wigan fans from attending, saying it was a great Club.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JonM said:

Guasch was talking pre-match about his father being a small child when they had to flee the Francoist forces in Catalonia and become refugees in France, so I can't see him wanting to go there.

Agreed. Hence the tongue very firmly in the cheek at the time of writing. 

That was very enjoyable as a neutral. Purely on the basis of people around us, it’s clear a number of locals had turned up to support Catalan.(Edit: just read in Guardian quarter of tickets were sold locally).  

There was a great buzz around the game and credit to Wigan fans who traveled in big numbers and pretty much all stayed to the end. 

77A2A87F-A09C-4925-A2EC-C7318277CEC1.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Treizistance said:

Amazing crowd. 14 team Superleague next year with Toulouse and Toronto will be immense.

I had a battle on twitter earlier with a non expansion fan and asked him. The following

Its 2021 you have 2 options.

1. Toulouse and Toronto are added to SL with a new improved SL offer from sky tv

2. SL stays as it currently is and sky offer no TV deal.

What do you pick???

And yes he picked option 2!!!!! He then went on to claim that the sport being part time would not make any difference. 

I gave up then. 

49 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are you sure?

You've asked 2 people 'why so angry?' - you seem confused as to what denotes anger. It's just tedious that you constantly seem to position yourself to be the counter argument/opinion on just about every thread. I'm all for healthy debate and certainly don't expect everyone to have the same opinions, but I think you know what you're doing and appears somewhat deliberate at times IMHO.  

42 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why so angry? 

I’m just saying a ground less than a third full come across poorly on the TV, despite the best efforts of those who attended. 

It comes across badly if you are too stupid to understand context, or are just a miserable tosser.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Brilliant effort. 

Barcelona might be perfect for Magic, especially if we can get Toulouse up. 

How will you "get Toulouse up?"  By making sure another team doesn't go up presumably.  Who remembers "getting Celtic Crusaders up" and what an outstanding success that turned out to be!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

23 minutes ago, Trojan said:

How will you "get Toulouse up?"  By making sure another team doesn't go up presumably.  Who remembers "getting Celtic Crusaders up" and what an outstanding success that turned out to be!

Yeah, think there's a bit of a difference between Celtic and Toulouse.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

50 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

I had a battle on twitter earlier with a non expansion fan and asked him. The following

Its 2021 you have 2 options.

1. Toulouse and Toronto are added to SL with a new improved SL offer from sky tv

2. SL stays as it currently is and sky offer no TV deal.

What do you pick???

And yes he picked option 2!!!!! He then went on to claim that the sport being part time would not make any difference. 

I gave up then. 

I have the same arguments with proponents of 'B****t'. Some people are too stupid to reason with and hark back to the simpler times of the 1950's and 60's. They will never win.

The simple equation for sport these days is to expand or die. Days like today, the biggest ever SL crowd outside a GF, in a country which doesn't have a SL team, gives me hope for the future of RL?

Vive les Dragons

Viu els Dracs

Viva los Dragones

4 minutes ago, Treizistance said:

I have the same arguments with proponents of 'B****t'. Some people are too stupid to reason with and hark back to the simpler times of the 1950's and 60's. They will never win.

The simple equation for sport these days is to expand or die. Days like today, the biggest ever SL crowd outside a GF, in a country which doesn't have a SL team, gives me hope for the future of RL?

Vive les Dragons 

Viu els Dracs

Viva los Dragones

E viva os Dragões!

What do Catalans bring to RL?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, IM2 said:

Catalans

Skolars

Broncos

TW

Toulouse

Coventry 

Bin them all!

You missed Newcastle out. They’ve only got a 1000 plus attendance tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

You missed Newcastle out. They’ve only got a 1000 plus attendance tomorrow. 

I remember in the good old days when they had proper RL teams in League 1 like Toronto, they'd get 6000 in a bad week. 1000+ at Newcastle? Pah! The game's doomed! doomed! I tell ye.

I've seen a few posts on Twitter and Facebook where people seem upset that Catalans got 30 odd thousand to a game?  People are weird.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So nearly 8000 tickets were sold to Spanish locals, a figure most Super League clubs are unable to achieve. We need more events like this 

Again basing this on the people around us in the block we were in who were Spanish (the bit of the ground opposite the main Catalan supporters bit). They’d bought the special top, had flags and followed the game. The separatist link made a difference - lots of enthusiasm for the Catalan anthem and the banners supporting the prisoners and calling for independence. If at all possible it would make sense to build on this and do something else in Barca next season. 

Archived