It’s Ottawa in 2020 says Eric Perez

37 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's my point exactly.  It's not on TV, just streamed online instead.

That's more to do with the attitude of the beeb.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Pretty much yes , Toronto,Montreal the perhaps Vancouver ( that's on the west coast isn't it ? ) After that no real knowledge of Canadian cities , flown over Canada a  few times but only ever landed in Winnipeg to refuel but didn't leave plane because it was freezing outside 

Ottawa for the most part is well known.

1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

IF NY are accepted, it'll be interesting to see whether they really can stick to their promise to be "fully based in North America" in a way that TWP are not, and what impact that will have on the players. Either way, the players will be on another continent quite a lot (which of course plenty of people in other walks of life also have to face).

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

No other reason than most of us are barely aware of the place 

Let me guess you are unaware is a G7 Capital.

Just now, Jayme2020 said:

Ottawa for the most part is well known.

Oh , don't get me wrong , I had heard of it , didn't realise it was the capital , don't recall ever having referenced it before for any reason 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have to admit Parky , I'd be interested to see your opinions on where RL can ' go ' to maintain or grow itself , as I've put I can see Elstone and the SL bosses allowing a limited ( 4 ) non UK clubs into SL to test the water 

On a slightly seperate issue I believe that Toronto and a potential Ottowa club might find it will start getting harder to recruit players due to the pressures on family life of being based in 2 countries over a season 

If Ottawa does what they say you will see them really appealing to a lot of players.

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

If Ottawa does what they say you will see them really appealing to a lot of players.

I'm sure it's lovely , but hasn't Eric stated they would convert their own players ? , Like he said Toronto would ?

44 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Of course it is, it illustrates how they see the sport and what coverage they consider it worth giving.

That doesn't make them correct it just makes them middle class and southern and London centric.

I'm sure they aspire to be exactly that and what it means for us is a down grade.

But our job is not to let outsiders define us but give them reason enough to change their minds.

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm sure it's lovely , but hasn't Eric stated they would convert their own players ? , Like he said Toronto would ?

I don't think its panic but I think TWP did notice we need to build a winner and a team that people will see as a main stream team in Ottawa its abit different there can be more or a organic growth and fans will support it.

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That doesn't make them correct it just makes them middle class and southern and London centric.

I'm sure they aspire to be exactly that and what it means for us is a down grade.

But our job is not to let outsiders define us but give them reason enough to change their minds.

Changing their minds will require changing the sport's small footprint and small-time ways, something which no one in the RFL or SL is remotely competent to achieve to judge by everything which has happened in the game since the start of last year.

3 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I don't think its panic but I think TWP did notice we need to build a winner and a team that people will see as a main stream team in Ottawa its abit different there can be more or a organic growth and fans will support it.

We'll see , I won't be holding my breath 

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Changing their minds will require changing the sport's small footprint and small-time ways, something which no one in the RFL or SL is remotely competent to achieve to judge by everything which has happened in the game since the start of last year.

Agreed!

Though I have this theory that when and if aliens land and eradicate hate and prejudice they'll be two things left standing that they won't have an answer for and will give up and go back home. One will be Rugby League should only be shown in the north of England by London and the other will be Aussies thinking everyone else's RL is rubbish.

You've got to feel sorry for ETs who imagine they can help us.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:25 PM, Smudger06 said:

A little far fetched don't we think? that 1 Canadian RL team can get £20m a year from a TV deal when the entire Canadian Football League only gets £23,000,000 for 9 Teams.......

Google suggests the various  CFL tv deals add up to rather more than that.

21 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd suggest you haven't converted the Canadian Dollar figure. 

I'd suggest you've only looked at one deal, rather than all of the deals.

It's a 5 year deal through to 2021, 200 million Canadian dollars (£115m) ÷ 5 (yrs) = £23,000,000 with TSN / RDS (French Language) which is a 80% Bell Canada Enterprises & 20% ESPN owned company. ESPN hold further rights notably in the USA and there are pay to view online streaming packages available in none ESPN / TSN (RDS) territories, not in the UK though as there's BT Sport ESPN. The original point is that there's no way Toronto Wolfpack can command 20 million pounds or even Canadian dollars. 

2 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Let me guess you are unaware is a G7 Capital.

If I ask people to name Australian cities most people wouldn't  say Canberra. Ottawa really isn't well known, if it wasn't for the NHL team most of the people who have heard of it those probably wouldn't have heard of it.

5 minutes ago, North but south said:

If I ask people to name Australian cities most people wouldn't  say Canberra. Ottawa really isn't well known, if it wasn't for the NHL team most of the people who have heard of it those probably wouldn't have heard of it.

There are a few countries where their biggest and most popular city isn't the capital, so people forget about it. It completely slipped my mind until recently the Toronto wasn't the capital. Most think that Sydney if the capital of Australia and many still think Barcelona is the capital of Spain because that's the main city people visit.

If it wasn't for the amount of American TV regularly viewed, many would probably think NYC is the capital of USA.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

That's my point exactly.  It's not on TV, just streamed online instead.

Anyone in the UK could watch it online, via a Smart Phone, Tablet, PC, Laptop or Smart TV in their house. Unlike the Superleague games and the Wolfpack Championship games, which are behind a Paywall on Sky Satellite TV, or via their Now TV Online Service (approx £33 a month for access to all Sky Sports). I watch R.L. delivered via the web on to my TV set. It's just as good as watching it any other way and to be fair the picture quality is much better than UK Freeview Terrestrial TV.

I hope that BBC Sport and the "OurLeague" website carry on with the Live Streams. The more chance to see R.L. the better, especially if people can get to watch it for free. ??

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That IS the issue , they are getting a new nickname  The DIVORCE club 

Maybe you think that's funny , some don't 

That is too funny. I thought I'd heard all anti-Wolfpack arguments ad infinitum, but you have come up with a whole new one there.

1 hour ago, North but south said:

I have never heard of it, neither has anybody else I know.

25 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I have never heard of it, neither has anybody else I know.

These must be two of the most obscure capital cities on the planet.

Oh well, I suppose there are plenty of other major cities/countries.

Archived